The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The Glacial MITA soap followed by the Glacial Unscented balm - what a winning combination![​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Haven't seen you use Meeter for quite a while.

3. Yehuda D

I know. I got very busy with a bunch of other stuff from South Africa.

4. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I can not remember the last time I used the Parker Variant.

Since I was lucky enough to be included in the pass around of the newest invention of Tom White (a really neat custom pair of adjustable razors) I figured I should get reacquainted.

Stirling Piacenza - YUP!
    Stirling Tuxedo - My most used brush
    Stirling collapsible paddle bowl - gotta be careful not to over aerate
    Parker Variant - wide open, but I remember being afraid to do so.
    Personna Blue - not great performers for me, they will go 2 or 3 shaves, but I only use them once.
    Stirling Piacenza Aftershave Splash - YUP!, from The Max Headroom List of Most Glorious Stanks

[​IMG]

Totally comfortable. Went my my normal 3.5 passes, 'on pattern'. There are a couple of spots I'll need to re-adjust my pattern the next time. I knew it, but y'all missed it (as if you care).

Plenty time to get my adjustables game-on in time for the big event.

Next up, my new Gillette Slim from the Raffle.

Edison Carter reporting for Network XXIII, or 20 Minutes into the Future.

5. jayjacque

jayjacque Well-Known Member

Need a little help figuring out which orangey soaps to get aftershave or EDT for. I just tried out 3 orangey samples: piacenza, arkadia, and pharoah's dreamsicle. At first whiff and useage I thought I liked arkadia and pharoah's dreamsicle's scents the best. Then this morning I used piacenza and it was just as excellent. What I usually like to do is purchase EDT for the scents I like the absolute best, possibly aftershave if I like it a lot, and maybe just blow off the mediocre or least liked. I'm already putting together another Stirling order up here in Canada that tentatively included some tsuka and orange chill. Long story short, I realized that makes about 5 orangey soap/aftershaves, etc. If I ever get Satsuma, 6! I probably only need or could practically use maybe 3 of those (or 4?). Then there's always the possibility on 1 or 2 of those, a single aftershave could double up on a similar scent as well as its own matched scent. I'm just going around in circles trying to figure it all out. Maybe I'm an orangey kinda guy and didn't realize it. Since you guys are prob more familiar with each of these, could some of you chip in with input and help a brother decide? It'd be much appreciated. Also could save my wife from killing me if she saw I ordered 5 or 6 orange aftershaves!

6. Paul Turner

Well, you have a great thing going on with those fellas.

7. Paul Turner

Beginning tomorrow, 5 straight uses of Stoylin aftershaves happening(2 with 1 shave, 3 for another). I'll clarify this confusion in SOTD.

8. Yehuda D

Oh yeah, they’re a terrific bunch of guys and their stuff is awesome.

9. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Piacenza is a dupe of a century old Italian citrus unisex scent that’s stood the test of time pretty well. There are other dupes of the same scent, so it’s popular. Arkadia’s musk notes make a bolder statement, and create a faster love/hate reaction IMO, though it’s a dupe of a legendary French scent. The Dreamsicle scent has a good vanilla element to it that may place it above Piacenza depending on your nose or mood. I really like it, but I usually like the vanilla notes in various scents whether citrus or tobacco or oud, etc. Of the three I’d eliminate Arkadia if you can only buy two.

10. SlowRoller47

SlowRoller47 Active Member

Can anyone tell the difference between the regular soaps and the glacial one's? A google search i only found out that it's a sort of clay that they add?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GM1913 met Tapatalk

11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Glacial soaps contain a high level of menthol. Chill or Iced soaps have a medium level of menthol and regular soaps have no menthol. Besides the methol the soap base is the same.

Gnomeo0228, ezlovan, Yehuda D and 8 others like this.
  12. Paul Turner

And an update on that plan...I'll be using the Unscented Friday, with the hopes that the soap scent will still come through. If not, I do have backup(which won't be Stoylin).

13. Paul Turner

That's my bldg. #..XX111.

14. SlowRoller47

Thanks for the information

15. jayjacque

Your input is much appreciated.

16. Paul Turner

I got that "tingle" with the Spice aftershave-lasted about a half-hour and has now settled down. The aftershave will finish long before the soap, but how many times have I said THAT in here....1....2...47??

17. Paul Turner

Ehhh Ladies and uh Gentlemen:

I'll be ordering my "Runner-Up" from the last Tony before summer hits.....Lime A.S.(Glacial if possible)and Mtn, Man Liquid Bodywash.

18. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Posting well after this shave, but better late than never.

Followed up my Variant reacquaintance shave with a similar using the newest addition to the Max Headroom Shave Gear collection. The featured hardware is the popular Gillette Slim Adjustable I won in the Raffle as generously donated by @Tommynick. Thank you Tommy.

Software by Stirling, and from The Max Headroom List of Most Glorious Stanks, Island Man.

Fluffed up an easy lather with the collapsible paddle bowl and went to the face at the prescribed setting of 9 with a new Personna Blue.

Made the pattern adjustments dictated on my last shave and walked away happy.

This is my first shave with a Gillette Adjustable TTO. I find it easily conforms to 'ride the cap' training for great cutting but it left me missing the blade feel and audible feedback offered by the Variant. For me it is not an 'either/or', it is just yes.

[​IMG]

Edison Carter reporting for Network XXIII, now blipvert free thanks to The Rebus Tape.

19. jayjacque

Guess I'm such an idiot couldn't figure out how to post a screenshot, but here's some Stirling I ordered today up in Canada (whoopsie, might've went overboard a little hehe):

Soap samples:
    MITA
    Orange Chill
    Stirling Blu
    Stirling Noir
    Stirling Gentleman

3 oz Shave Soap:
    Tsuka
    Stirling Green

2 oz A/S Splash:
    Tsuka

100 ml A/S Splash:
    Ozark Mountain
    Baker Street
    Arkadia

50 ml EDT
    :
    Sandpiper
    Pharoah's Dreamsicle
    Island Man
    EMP

Plus they owed me an unscented Menthol Post Shave Balm from the last order. Feeling pretty good about it. At least now I'll have a little more closely matched aftershaves or EDT's to the soaps

20. SlowRoller47

Nice haul. Excellent choices. I need to get me some tsuka and try it. Everybody is so ranting about that soap/scent.