2020 Traveling Box Round One

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by stingraysrock, Jan 9, 2020.

1. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

That's fine, @ordinaryshaver. If you feel your participation was fair to the others in the group who am I to judge, but please be honest with the group and post your gives and takes.

2. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

If you feel it wasn't fair, then I apologise. I was under the assumption that we were to take more than we left. At least that's the way I read it. If anyone feels like I slighted them, it wasn't my intention.
    I'll happily remove myself from any controversy.

3. MrEE

The contents of the box as it is today.

PSX_20200304_130301.jpg

RyX likes this.
  4. MrEE

My early gives are:
    PSX_20200304_134437.jpg
    That's
    1 Vintage OC made in England
    1 GEM Jr
    1 Gillette Superspeed
    1 Gillette Rocket
    1 Gillette Tech with replica handle
    1 GEM Micromatic OC
    1 reknotted Rubberset brush.

I will replate the MMOC.

I will probably include some soaps and AS but I am undecided on which ones.

RyX, b1hart, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  5. MrEE

Okay, I do want to clear the air a little. When we started this go-round I offered to restore/replate razors others had donated to the box. I was tracking how many were coming because people had specifically put razors in the box for me to replate. It takes about 90 min each so I wanted to know how much work I was in for. When I got the box most the razors I was expecting were gone. My initial concern was people would think I was failing to meet my commitment to replate those razors and ship them down the line. @ordinaryshaver, I asked you to post your gives and takes so people would know where those razors went and not think I kept them. When you answered saying you only took 3 it really put me in an awkward situation.

Yes, I think taking 7 (8 if you include the missing Canadian Tech) of the more desirable razors is excessive, but I wouldn't have said anything if you had posted an honest listing of what you took from the box. When you said you only took 3, you made me the steward of 5 missing razors.

I don't think I'm the only one who tracks what's in the box. Last round I checked every post to see who took the items I gave. I would have noticed if my gives just vanished. How much you give and take is a personal matter, but be honest and keep the forum updated.

RyX, b1hart, kjbarth and 3 others like this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Mighty nice gives!

Looks like a Souplex razor ..... very nice!

:D

MrEE likes this.
  7. MrEE

The replates have been tumbled for 4 hours, annealed so I could straighten some teeth, soldered where needed, and polished.

Next they go into the sonic cleaner for degreasing to get the last of the polishing compound off. After that, they won't be touched by human hands until the plating is finishes so its a little harder to take pictures.

They are going to look pretty good. Plenty of history in these 100 year old razors. Some of it shows, but that's just part of the beauty.
    PSX_20200307_092209.jpg
    PSX_20200307_092333.jpg

RyX, kjbarth, b1hart and 2 others like this.
  8. Tommynick

Tommynick Well-Known Member

Incredible work. Very impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs021: I can't remember how many of those I dropped in the box, but you're making those into show quality heirlooms!

:happy096:

RyX and MrEE like this.
  10. MrEE

Plating on these is done. A box of additions arrived today. I will post those pictures later. Looks like one more razor to plate.

They all look pretty good. As I said some show their age more than others.

PSX_20200307_141843.jpg PSX_20200307_142136.jpg

RyX, kjbarth, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  11. MrEE

3 came from the box. The MMOC is my contribution. I'm trying to decide what to do with the NEW LC that came today. I may just gold plate the top plate and leave the rest with original gold. You'll be able to tell the plating doesn't match but most of the razor will be original gold.

RyX, Enrico and gorgo2 like this.
  12. Tommynick

Tommynick Well-Known Member

They look incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrEE likes this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Wow!!

:happy096:

14. MrEE

My shave from the box:

PSX_20200307_234409.jpg

I love the Israeli Reds. This OT shaves great. The Godrej smells like a scented cleaner but performs well.

I think the JR #111 may be joining my brush collection. :)

RyX, b1hart, kjbarth and 3 others like this.
  15. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

Good Day Folks,

I have sent a PM to @stingraysrock requesting to be removed from this Traveling Box Tour.

Nothing wrong other than I just am not comfortable with my ability, at the present, to fairly participate. My conscience will not allow me to take advantage of fine folks by not being able to step up in a manner similar to the other participants. I'm still participating here at TSD, just not in the Tour. I hope you will understand.

Thanks....

RyX, Enrico, MR41 and 1 other person like this.
  16. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Sorry to see you go.

Enrico, MR41 and S Barnhardt like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've got several razors and a couple soaps to put in. I hope there's room.

RyX, MrEE and Enrico like this.
  18. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I am sure there is room for those items.

Enrico likes this.
  19. MrEE

Sorry to see you go. I remember talking you into participating. You were reserved then and we talked you into signing up anyway. Remember, the group needs people who give and people who receive in order to work.

I see it like donuts in the breakroom. People bring donuts to work hoping everyone will partake. It's not fun if no one partakes. Now, when one guy shows up and takes the whole box, people get upset. So, don't be that guy. I got some awesome items out of the last round. That's the way the box works.

The people who are giving nice items are hoping someone with a small collection will get a few nice things from this exchange. You're just the kind of person we're hoping will participate.

RyX and Enrico like this.
  20. MrEE

Box status update:

Two individuals wanted to give more to the box. One box is in shipping and is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday. So, the box will go out on Thursday.

:) I can tell you right now, the box is completely full. So, I'll be taking a few things from the box. I'll post pictures of the additions and my list of gives and takes on Thursday when I ship the box.

There is a lot of really nice items in the box. Probably a few items which have toured a little too long as well, but such is the box.

Keep in mind, I am adding a few razors, but most of the photos I added are razors I restored. The razors themselves were actually donated by others.

RyX, b1hart and Enrico like this.