The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. ezlovan

ezlovan Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor

You're spot on. I've had scents that I just knew would be hits that turned out to be duds, and stuff that I thought would be slow and they sell like crazy. Everyone's nose is different, but sadly not everyone understands or chooses to acknowledge this fact. Multiple times a week I get emails or phone calls to the effect of " I heard such great things about this scent, but I just don't like it. Is it possible I got a bad batch?" You just have to explain as politely as possible that not everyone is going to like every scent. I've spoken to Will at Barrister & Mann about this very thing, and he and his mom (she works with him) both expressed that they deal with the same thing constantly. It's one of the drawbacks of doing a business like this over the internet. You can't smell what you're buying ahead of time.

2. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

The offering of sample sizes balances that out in a way

3. ezlovan

Supporting Vendor
    It does, and I do my best to suggest to new customers that they try out samples first.

4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I think the Barbershop puck was my first ever Stoylin order. I had a good sense of what it probably would smell like, with all the Clubman A.S. I'd had over the years, soI just went for the home run. Glad I did.

5. Paul Turner

Cue the guitar finish. :)(To Hotel Stoylin).

6. SlowRoller47

SlowRoller47 Active Member

I also have Shadow orchid just in. Anybody else tried this one? I like the scent on it. Floral dark notes.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GM1913 met Tapatalk

7. falconhal

falconhal Active Member

Just got that Haverford puck in the mail along with a complementary bar of the Haverford bath soap. Smells so good!

8. jayjacque

jayjacque Well-Known Member

Look forward to trying that one in a near future order. Am really enjoying diving into these different scents.

9. Paul Turner

I just thought of something-did Doc Ezlovan call it Haverford in honor of Tomford?

10. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

I think that’s the general idea————hint at the dupes origin without waking the giant.

Plus if you’ve ever watched Parks and Rec, the character “Tom Haverford” is an ultra fashionable dude with tons of swagger, who’s always trying to market some upscale product——————including fragrances. A brilliant reference by Rod IMO.

11. Paul Turner

Shows the cleverness of the man-talkinabout Doc Ezlovan, not Tom H.

12. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Then I can dig it ;)

13. jayjacque

jayjacque Well-Known Member

QUESTIONS FOR YOU MENTH HEADS:
    Where I live Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada we have 6 inches of snow happening on Saturday. But be that as it may, I'm thinking warmer weather is just around the corner, so I'm wondering your opinions on menthol or glacials; Are there any Stirling soap or aftershave scents you wouldn't add menthol to? For me the tobaccos I've tried , howbeit mostly in another brand, are so nice just as they are, don't think I'd want to add menthol to them. Also wonder about the cologne dupes, by adding menthol does it take away from smelling like the dupe it's meant to copy? For you menth heads, have you found exceptions?

14. Paul Turner

Well, the Doc is always clever with his product names. "British Leather" is an example. (Haven't yet tried that one,, but I'd be interested in comparing it to English Leather. )

15. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

The menthol scent fades quickly after application, in my experience.

16. ezlovan

Supporting Vendor
    I hadn't even thought of the Tom Ford angle. It's purely from Parks and Rec. Tom Haverford refers to himself at one point in the show as brown and spicy, so I thought it was a perfect fit. I love that show.

17. Latherin’ Luddite

It’s still a great name, even if the extra awesomeness is accidental. I love the show too. I have Swanson’s Pyramid of Greatness as a framed poster.

I wonder if Aziz Ansari created his character name as a near miss for Tom Ford. Given his ultra-dapper character, it seems like a real possibility. I seldom give coincidence a pass.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  18. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

His character also tried to come out with his own fragrance line... Tommy Fresh!

19. Latherin’ Luddite

I forgot about Tommy Fresh!
    Then there are all of Dennis Feinstein fragrances. :D

I’d list them but don’t want a forum warning.

20. Paul Turner

Never knew you had a "freak-ish" side, Tim :)))).