What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

You are correct sir, no such thing as too many Tanifujis!

2. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

How is the strop working for you? It looks like you have broken it in. For everyone else that strop was almost like a glass finish on it. Didn't really look like it was used much if any.

Edison Carter, atbat82 and Karl G like this.
  3. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

That top razor is the full size Lund I have with the same shape blade as the ones in the set. It shows the relative size of the new arrivals. Not quite as small as a mustache razor but not full size. 2.75” vs. 3” makes a bigger difference than I would have thought. :eek:

4. atbat82

atbat82 Well-Known Member

It’s incredible. It’s like stropping on a sheet of ice. I’ve got other “light draw” strips, but nothing compares to the feel of this one. I’m sorry to say it, but I don’t think you’re getting this one back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Suhrim21

It was hard for me to let it go in the first place. But I'm glad it is getting used and loved. I would honestly be shocked if I was able to get it back. I got lucky in finding it in the first place but I'm sure I'll find another one like it again. If there is one there has to be another.

6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

First shave after a refresh on Shapton Glass 16k, smooth like velvet yet uber sharp. Koraat 14 2.0

ID - 1 (2).jpeg

Steve56, TestDepth, Karl G and 9 others like this.
  7. esvh

esvh Well-Known Member

Heljestrand mk23 5/8.

Van der Lovett Grey soap, Wilkinson classic AS.

No time to make a picture. It is an interesting razor. It is 5/8, but it looks smaller and has metal scales. Maybe it was a medical razor.

I'll post a picture later.

TestDepth, Karl G, Ice-Man and 5 others like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Saturday Straights' Shave
    [​IMG]

Cold Water Rinse
    Cremo Shave Stick
    Jayaruh #387
    Gold Dollar 7/8
    CWR
    Aqua Velva Musk AS

The Cremo Shave Stick face-lathered well with the Jayaruh #387 brush. Two passes and touch ups with the Gold Dollar 7/8 gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse I finished off with Aqua Velva Musk AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Keithmax, Steve56, DaltonGang and 9 others like this.
  9. atbat82

atbat82 Well-Known Member

I had a little extra time this morning and decided to use some of it maneuvering a big razor around my face. This RigaRazor 7/8 has a pretty nice edge and good balance, but it also has a sneaky little French point/notch. And I’ll be damned if it didn’t give me a little kiss on the ear this morning...a nice clean line straight down my right lobe. Good thing I keep a styptic pencil around.

Lather was Dr Jon’s Sunday Funday Extravaganza Cold Fall Morning. Easily the soap with the longest name! The scent notes say it should smell like coffee and maple. All I smell is big red chewing gum. I actually like the smell, but it’s the first time I’ve ever wondered if my puck was swapped for something different.

In any event, the bleeding has stopped and my face is smooth and comfortable. All in all not a bad way to start the weekend.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax, esvh, M14Shooter and 9 others like this.
  10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Shave #82 with the Filly 14 Sub Cero, soap was ABC hard soap lathered with a TOBS brush, and Acqua di Parma Revitalizing Face Serum provided rhe AS duties. Still DFS.

11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I have a couple of JWest like that, they’re actually quite fun to shave with. And of course most of the terror sticks (kamisori) are relatively short.

12. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

The first two passes with this Dubl Duck seemed to be underperforming. But, have no fear, the third pass left little for touch up. :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    AOS Lavender PSO
    Castle Forbes Lavender Shaving Cream
    T&H Wellington Super Badger
    Dubl Duck Wonderedge 5.8
    AOS Lavender After Shave Balm

IMG_1666.jpg

Happy shaving - Karl

Keithmax, Ice-Man, esvh and 9 others like this.
  13. Suhrim21

Today's shave was a newly acquired Goldegde and imperial russian strop that came with it.

20200307_131034_compress14.jpg

Keithmax, Ice-Man, Steve56 and 10 others like this.
  14. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Beauty of a Duck.... gold looks in mint condition. :happy088:

Edit... both ducks look great. It is almost like seeing Dubl Ducks... I crack myself up, I’m here all night ;)

Edison Carter and Karl G like this.
  15. Suhrim21

I got a great deal on both. The razor didn't even look like it was ever honed.

esvh, Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  16. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Wade & Butcher for Saturday. 7/8, pretty sure it had a regrind in its life... and the hollow grind did allow some nice noise during the shave :).
    C84E9589-9546-4943-94DA-74CE74615567.jpeg
    The unmarked soap is Razorock. I am a major fan of their soap options in the glass jar - great performance and smell(s) in my book.
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

Keithmax, Ice-Man, Steve56 and 9 others like this.
  17. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

:happy102:

18. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

6/8 SSA Swedish Straight
    Friday's Shave rps20200307_145635_116.jpg

Had a wonderful shave with this Vintage Swedish blade.It removed whiskers effortlessly.

Keithmax, Ice-Man, Steve56 and 6 others like this.
  19. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

5/8 Kintaka 28Takagi Company's

Saturday's Shave

Had a wonderful shave with this Vintage Japanese blade . rps20200307_203855_832(1).jpg

Keithmax, Ice-Man, Steve56 and 7 others like this.
  20. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

The straights are screaming Saturday.

The John Jay was an $18 antique shop rescue. My initial shave with this razor was a little needy. The Lovely Mrs Headroom was working today so I planned an edge touch up.

If someone had told me that one day I'd be using my thumbpad to evaluate the business end of a straight razor, I'd have laughed, yet here I am. Working only on a black ark with gun oil, I found after a full workout that a few trailing stokes to keen up this edge nice, followed by a some pasted balsa, then roo stropping. The thumbpad was good, and the shave test said I nailed it.

I find straights to be less aggressive throughout the progressive beard reduction, yet able to yield an equal finish that might be somewhat smoother. Very happy today.

Since dining out was planned for the Mrs. today, I chose the Et Tu combo from PAA. I absolutely love this scent which is claimed to be trued to the original Brut. The soap puffs a beautiful lather, and while the marketing says it is superior to a tallow soap, it is not as slick and carries a $$$ premium. It is not a re-buy for me. The Star Jelly is remarkable stuff that I super like. And, the scent of the splash is so good that I'm not really concerned if it's performance in skin care is lacking.

[​IMG]

Edison Carter reporting for Network XXIII, or 20 minutes into the future.

GAW9576, Keithmax, Ice-Man and 9 others like this.