The Daily Double.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by GAW9576, Nov 28, 2019.

1. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

I had a great shave with these two beauties today.

[​IMG]

2. GAW9576

I had an excellent shave this morning. Things started off with a little Proraso white balm and a dab of Lubriderm. I was inspired by others to slow down and really concentrate on deliberately apply little to no pressure. I tend to get impatient with the stubborn spots and get heavy handed to try to overcame resistant hairs. Also rinsing with cold water between each pass as @Ron R has been mentioning. I whipped the lather up with hot water and a dab of coconut oil. The lather was drying out a bit on my neck because I was taking it extra slow, so I chilled the lather in the bowl with a splash of cold water mixed in then ran cold water on the outside of the metal bowl. This work very well. The lather stayed perfectly hydrated the rest of the shave. The Henckels Rapide was used for the bulk of the shave doing 3 passes on most of the shave and 4 in some areas. The Schick G was used on a cleanup of the toughest spots on my neck to catch a few stubborn stray hairs. The result was a nearly irritation free shave that was very close. Twelve hours later and I'm still smooth except for each side of the adams apple were I have the most troublesome hairs.

[​IMG]

3. Flintstone65

Flintstone65 Well-Known Member

It's been a touch quiet over here. I did a Daily Double Weck Wednesday (yesterday). It was a new-to-me Weck Sextoblade (just a different handle color) and while it came with an open comb guard, I elected to go without any guard (OC or SB). The blade was a first shave on a Fromm blade that I got from a local beauty supply store. The soap was a vegan Bay Rum by Men's Soap Company and lathered by a Lapis handled 24mm 2-band badger. Here's a few take-aways from the shave:

1. Shaving without the guard seems to be improving my technique faster, and I definitely get a closer shave without the guard than with it.

2. I can shave my cheeks, lower neck and lip all day long (especially on the right side -- my dominant hand), but the chin and the left side of my face continues to be a real challenge. I'll get there, but it is definitely taking longer to master. The chin problem is the most vexing....I haven't found a great angle of attack, so I'm going to watch a few SR shaving vids to see if I can learn from others on that piece.

3. Related to #2 is skin stretching. I can get super lazy with skin stretching with pretty much any SE or DE razor I have, but not with the Weck. I don't see myself this way, but the Weck makes me feel like my skin has the elasticity of a blood hound. If the skin is pulled taught and I've got a clear path of an angle, I can get a nice clean, comfortable and close pass....if it's not, I get catching, tugging and either a bleeder or a small nick. Sure wish I started shaving with this 40 years ago when I could bounce a quarter off my skin.

4. Related to #3 is soap. I haven't run across a soap yet (cheap or expensive) that I couldn't get a perfectly fine and comfortable shave with any of my SE's or DE's -- but the Weck better have something super slick with just the right amount of hydration. MWF works the best for me with the Weck; but the soap I used for this shave was less than great (although I love the scent and I would've bet money it was going to be plenty slick).

5. I think the Fromm blades are going to work for me. I'd know better if I hadn't changed up the soap and the blade. The one thing I noticed was that the first shave with the Fromm was much smoother (not as harsh) than the first time with the Personna. I'm curious to see how the next shave goes with the Fromm and how long they last relative to the Personna.
    Final comment: despite my kvetching a bit about the soap and skin stretching, I REALLY enjoy the Weck shaves. This one was a single pass with the Weck, a pass with the Schick, and a clean-up pass that I did using both of them. I had quite a few bleeders (I think it was 4), but they rinsed away and didn't come back after a splash of Thayer's Rose. And this was the first shave without a single bit of irritation anywhere. My face was nearly BBS smooth and I'm looking forward to my next Weck shave. Okay, here's the pic:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    brit likes this.
  4. GAW9576

That's great that your skills are progressing @Flintstone65. Nice gear, I love that Schick type C.

5. GAW9576

I had a great shave today. I've been meaning to do this shave most of the week but haven't shaved in a while. To tired to look back to confirm but I believe the last shave was Sunday. I did the right side with the BT and the left with the FW. Great shave all around and with a side by side comparison I'd say these two are closer in efficiency than I had thought previously. The BT being ever so slightly more efficient. I was still able to pull off a very socially acceptable shave and just wonderful pass and light touch up.

The FW just took the slightest bit more touch up to achieve the same results. Either way an excellent shave can be had with either razor. And a very fun relaxing and refreshing shave can be had with the 2 together.

[​IMG]

brit likes this.
  6. GAW9576

I had an excellent shave today with an Enders Speed and a shick proline B20. I also used a Dunham duplex a bit. The available blades realy let this razor down. I got creative and put a Feather proguard in one side just to see what this razor would be like with a good blade. The blade exposure was Way to much but I shaved with ot just a little. WOW I wish I could get good blades for this razor. I like the handling. Lather came courtesy of cold water mixed Cella and Mer shavings mysore sandalwood using a Maggard SHD two band badger brush.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brit likes this.
  7. GAW9576

Gem G-bar
    Gem BMMOC
    Meijer SS blade
    Mer shavings mysore sandalwood + Cella
    SHD two band badger in handle by me.
    Witch hazel splash.

[​IMG]

brit likes this.
  8. GAW9576

I had about 7 days to knock down so I went with two of my most efficient open come razors I have. The results were a very comfortable close shave with little effort. I used the Star for the front of my neck and beard line and the Henckels took out the stubble on the back of my neck.

[​IMG]

brit likes this.
  9. GAW9576

[​IMG]

Manumik and brit like this.
  10. GAW9576

The first pass with the Demascara went well. The rest of the shave went to the J A Henckels Rapide. I definitely need to build my SR skills before I'm doing whole shaves with one.
    I pitched the SE blade after only using it twice. Either it was a dud or I inadvertently damaged the edge.

[​IMG]

Manumik and brit like this.
  11. GAW9576

Just playing around a bit with today's shave and ended up with a near BBS as a result.
    Arko on my SHD two band badger provided plenty of slick cushiony lather. Oh and a hearty dose of chill came from some sterling frost drops.

[​IMG]

12. GAW9576

Today's GeMonday shave was a comparison between the first and second generation Gem Featherweight.

A well used Meijer branded SS Accu TEC blade was shared between the two razors.

Lather was provided by a wonderful thick creamy Tabac on a RazoRock boar brush.

The shave was finished of with a splash of Whitch hazel.

The second Gen was up first and handled the left side neck and the left cheek above my beard line. A two pass shave first WTG then ATG for testing purposes was used.

The blade was then switched to the first Gen Featherweight and the same procedure was used on the right side.

There were not drastic differences between the two but the remaining stubble on the left (second Gen) side was longer and slightly more noticeable. Neither side was socially acceptable with two passes and a well worn blade on my neck. However my cheeks (were the shaving is always easier) are perfectly acceptable.

I did a third pass to clean up the visible stubble for a socially acceptable end result.

I will do this comparison again on my next shave with a new blade to see how big an improvement that makes. Personally if I could only keep one of the razors I'd keep the 1st Gen. but I definitely like using both.

[​IMG]

13. GAW9576

Today was a GeMonday with my second comparison shave with the 1st and 2nd generation Gem Featherweights. This time a first use Meijer branded SS blade was used.

First up was the 2nd Gen. on the left side neck and cheek above the beard line. 1 pass WTG and 1 pass ATG

The blade was then switched to the 1st Gen. For the right side. Same procedure.

The 1st pass on the right side was nearly as close as the 2 passes on the right. While shaving on the first pass I didn't really notice a difference in the feal of the shaves. The second pass ( ATG ) did have a little more blade feel but not at all in a bad way. Final result was definitely visually cleaner and felt smoother on the right ( 1st Gen. ) side.

After evaluation of the shave I did a cleanup pass with a Gem Junior I was evaluating before sending to a friend. Finally I shaved the back of my neck with the 1st Gen Featherweight. Even with sunburn on the back of my neck the shave was smooth and comfortable.

In conclusion both the 1st and 2nd Gen Featherweights are great razors. However if I could only have one it would definitely be a 1st Gen Featherweight Deluxe.

[​IMG]

14. GAW9576

Had another great late night shave tonight. This time with a new to me Treet with red bakelite handle. I also tested a Gem 1912 that came with it in a 4 razor lot. Both razors are in very good to excellent condition and shaved very well.

Pre shave wash with artisan goats milk soap

Tabac on two band badger

Thayers aloe vera cucumber splash.

DFS on the neck BBS on the cheeks above the beard line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. GAW9576

So I had 2 ER visits today. Early shave late posting.

Yep that's right I used 2 Ever-Ready 1912s today. A British Peerless and an American with chain link handle. Unfortunately I am out of SS blades. I thought I had another 10 pack of them. Luckily I had a Pal carbon blade and I have a few Treet Carbons left that @Flintstone65 gave me. I'm not a huge fan of the carbon blades but it better than nothing. Oddly the British ER seemed milder than the American. Which os the opposite of what I've heard. I am going to have to take a closer look at both razors. Maybe some adjustments are needed. Anyway overall a good shave. I will have to revisit this comparison shave at a later date.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flintstone65 likes this.
  16. Flintstone65

It's been too long since I've posted here:

May 13: Wonderful Weck and Williams Wednesday

Lather: Modern Williams
    Brush: Jayaruh Boar
    Razor(s): Weck Sextoblade with Open Comb Guard & Rhodes Kriss Kross
    Blade(s): Personna Hair Shaper [at least 5] & Schick Proline B

First pass with the Weck with the OC guard was nearly effortless and almost second-nature. Second pass with Kriss Kross was very smooth, and only a slight touch-up needed for a couple of stubbly-spots, which was handled by the Weck. The final result was a very comfortable and very smooth shave.
    [​IMG]

GAW9576 likes this.
  17. GAW9576

Very cool. I jist recently received a Kriss Kross from a friend. How did you like the shave?
    You should check out my shave from today.

Manumik likes this.
  18. Flintstone65

Wow, I've never seen that razor before -- what is it? At first glance I thought it was a bottom dial Fat Boy, but then I noticed the head/top cap was wrong.

The shave was okay with the Kriss Kross....honestly, I enjoyed the Weck more in that particular shave. It took me a while to get the blade placement right on the KK, and I'm not a huge fan of fidgety blade razors. That said, the KK was only used for a single pass, so I'm going to do a dedicated shave with the Kriss Kross and I should have a more informed opinion.

19. GAW9576

Flintstone65 likes this.
  20. Flintstone65

VERY Cool -- Tom is a genius designer, in my opinion!

GAW9576 likes this.