Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Robert1955, Jan 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

There are reports that Syria is having big problems they're trying to keep under wraps. Other reports say the problem is just as big in Iran. If that is true, the whole region could end up...how to put this...fundamentally restructured.

2. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

gorgo2 likes this.
  3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I went grocery shopping today which is pretty much a common Saturday task for me. Not overly crowded and I was able to get in and out with ease.
    Apparently most of the panic shopping happened before today because most of the store was well stocked so they must have had time to recover a bit.
    Except for a few interesting (to me) items...

Eggs. There was a five dozen limit on eggs. I like eggs but five dozen would rot at my house long before we finished them. I was able to buy a dozen but inventory was obviously low. I saw a shopper with five dozen and I really wanted to ask him how many eggs he eats per day.
    Macaroni and cheese (in the box). We don't have small children at home so we don't eat macaroni and cheese every week but I didn't realize it was such a hot commodity.
    Wet wipes for shopping carts. I realize that people pick their nose and then put their hand on the shopping cart handle but I still just grab a cart and don't clean it off unless there's something obvious on the handle. I don't know if there's just been a lot of cart wiping or if someone felt they needed the whole box but there weren't any at the cart station.

Everyone seemed relatively calm and a few were remarking on odd behaviors. One shopper told me that a couple of days ago she observed two persons shopping together with plastic bags (the ones on a roll in the produce dept) over their hands.

Frijolero and DaltonGang like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

You are lucky, up there. It's full blown panic mode around here. Stupid, just plain stupid.

John Beeman likes this.
  5. DaltonGang

I think the USA has a superior capability of handling things, over other countries. I have seen how we, as Americans, pull together after disasters, and help each other out. The exception being Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans. They just acted like animals over there.
    But, time will be the definitive factor in these things. Just how bad will the Virus get in the USA, and will people stop being stupid about hoarding things??

BigMike, gorgo2 and Frijolero like this.
  6. DaltonGang

If I were more elderly, I would fear the Flu Virus over the Wuhan Corona Virus. Far far more deadly.

Queen of Blades likes this.
  7. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

My wife buys eggs 6 dozen at a time, that's just short of a 2 week supply for my family of 6. My wife tried to stock up last night and found the shelves empty. Thankfully she just purchased few dozen earlier in the week.

People only have so much refrigerator space available. Once that fills up milk and eggs should return to normal consumption levels.

8. DaltonGang

It's all good. :eatdrink047:

Frijolero likes this.
  9. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Well, there's my egg answer. Only two people at my house.

Don't ask how much pet food we have...

BamaT and Frijolero like this.
  10. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

BTW, I'm not worried about my family. My wife and I are not quite in the high risk group and my kids are healthy. However, I do worry about my parents, my last surviving grandmother, my neighbor, the widow a few houses down, and the many high risk people around me. I personally don't mind altering my behavior to reduce the risk to others, even the many high risk people I don't have much interaction with.

wristwatchb, Frijolero and Erik Redd like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Okeedoke...

[​IMG]

Enrico, DaltonGang and BigMike like this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

13. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

With respect.

You should have stayed away from the public and self isolated and got tested.

Your response, applied to all members of the public would equate to a Spanish flu-esque disaster.

You probs had a cold.
    We need to take this virus serious!

14. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

It's ok here.

People have stocked up on some essentials but this isn't the US and we don't have the likes of the mega stores in the US. Most people shop week to week.

BamaT and Frijolero like this.
  15. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Of the several medical journal papers I've read, and the analysis I've been following from researchers, the numbers say very much the opposite. Curious to know why you've come to your conclusion.

16. DaltonGang

gorgo2 and BigMike like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

18. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I like to shop on Sunday morning when most people are in church. Since most of the churches around here canceled services we'll see how it goes. I'm pretty much set but figure I'll get a few more things just in case you know. Plus I want to see what's going on. After that I have a knife to finish then start on a new one.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

gorgo2, Frijolero and DaltonGang like this.
  19. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Look into how they rank things, and you can see it is flawed. For example, several countries have a lower infant mortality rate than the US, but if you look into it, the often exclude deaths the US counts in our numbers. The WHO statistics greatly favor socialized medicine, and not necessarily quality of health care.

When was the last time you heard someone say they wanted to fly to Malta for health care reasons? Or Spain for that matter? Italy?

BigMike, wristwatchb, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.
  20. DaltonGang

I agree, it sticks around, on surfaces longer than we were initially told. And is very contagious. I also dont think it will slow down, until most people are exposed, or possibly summertime weakens it. The only saving grace is that it is a very small segment in society that really need to fear the Wuhan Virus. As far as I have read, there doesnt seen to be much chance of re-exposure. So, if you survive this large initial wave, then chances are you will be fine.

Keithmax and gorgo2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.