What Do You Use For Home Defense??

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Seems you're a tad stressed

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Not at all. It was on sale, and a friend is a gun dealer. Plus, it's a job requirement, to carry one, 24/7.

Edison Carter likes this.
  3. Xring3

Xring3 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Home defense

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edison Carter likes this.
  4. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

At risk of stirring up an unwanted argument, I have to say a person that can't stop a fight with a decent size handgun has a problem. That problem could be too small of a round, lack of ability to accurately make the shots, yes I said shots with an "s", and lack of practice. I've carried a number of handguns in my career from S&W .357s, to SW 4506, AMT 380, Glock 23, etc. I wouldn't go smaller than a 9mm/380 with a preference for .40 Glock. All using a Hydra-Shok, or equivelant delivered in a quick "double tap" involving 1 center mass and 1 other. Practice will enable you to pull that off sufficiently. A quality weapon with a good, effective round along with repeated practice. Make sure that practice is not the kind where you go to the range and take your sweet time sighting your shot. Make it quick and accurate. Practice will make that possible. Remember you should practice like your life depended on it, because you will revert to your training/practice/muscle memory when the chips are down.

5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

6. DaltonGang

I've used an AMT Backup .380. Decent. I also use Colt Mustang .380, which I still use a lot. But, whenever possible, the 9mm is a better choice, especially with the Critical Duty rounds in it. BTW, I shoot very well, even under pressure, and I do practice. I have had and continue to have plenty of training. .

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

My first choice is a left handed 870.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    S Barnhardt likes this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Not disagreeing with your basic argument but at the turn of the last century you didn't have strung out psychotics running around amped on angel dust, crack, crank, etc. If someone is so impaired that his body isn't able to inform his brain that it has been shot, even a larger round might not guarantee its typical one shot stop either. You've heard such stories. Just a thought.

9. S Barnhardt

Before I ask this, know I'm not attempting to take you to task, but merely making conversation. ??

Do you shoot a regular type qualification course, combat course, or just shoot paper targets or something?

10. S Barnhardt

Such with OO Buckshot is good if you're reasonably close. But OO spreads at what is it? 1 inch for every 5 feet after it leaves the barrel? That may not be totally accurate, but the further the distance the greater the spread which, in my opinion, reduces the ultimate stopping power. Not to say it won't still wear the target out, but with "less gusto" shall we say? The rule I was taught is it was not reliably effective at much beyond 15 feet away from the target. Qualification course with OO Buckshot was never further away than that. At 15 foot away what had been a good, tight shot pattern is now something near 6 inches in diameter and at 25 foot approaching 10 inches in diameter. That spread plus the decrease in force/velocity results in reduced effectiveness when it hits the intended target. However, it's never a force to be lightly utilized. There "IS NO TURNING BACK."

Keithmax and PanChango like this.
  11. DaltonGang

For over 27 yrs, I've shot many types of courses. You name it, I shot the course. For qualifications the targets now are always turning type, with paper silhouettes. They have switched it over the last year, and it is a very fast turn, with a draw from the holster. Approximately allowing 1 shot per second, and just a few seconds to reload. It's more area, or zone shooting, with the final shot in the head. Very fast, with more stress induced. I think the stress should be more, with a target moving, or popping up, unexpectedly, during the shoot. I've seen many people freeze up, in shooting situations, during stress, when they were crack shots, on paper. The old saying, "Targets don't shoot back" is so true.
    If there is one way I would suggest, to protect yourself and family, is to practice a variety of shooting styles. Find a range with old junk cars, and walls to shoot around, or over, and under.

stuartganis, Keithmax and S Barnhardt like this.
  12. DaltonGang

00 Buck in 12 ga. is a devastating round. :happy088:

13. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have a 20 inch IC barrel on it for around the house. It gives me a little more range than just a cylinder bore but not much more than 20 yards with Federal Flite Control ammo. I also keep slugs on a side saddle and have practiced select slug drills. The shotgun definitely has some limitations, weight, capacity, manual action, sectional density and weight of ammo, etc, but it is what I am most comfortable using and very effective within range. I have shot skeet, trap, and sporting clays for over a decade, taken a couple defensive shotgun courses, and even taken a triple of dove once with this gun using a light contour field barrel. Its not perfect but I have the most practice with it and will give me the best chance of survival if it needed to be used.

14. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

My reputation. If you lived in my neighborhood you would understand.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

S Barnhardt and DaltonGang like this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

From years of construction ........

husky-claw-hammers-n-h20shk-64_1000.jpg

Can we say blunt force trauma?

:eatdrink047:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    S Barnhardt and Keithmax like this.
  16. S Barnhardt

Effective yes, but it requires you to wait until the threat is within arm's length!

I like better a well placed .40 cal "double-tap."

Enrico and stuartganis like this.
  17. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Nothing except the locks on the doors.

BigMike and S Barnhardt like this.
  18. Edsland

Edsland Active Member

I had nothing but locks till on night around midnight someone ripped the gas meter off my house and started breaking the kitchen window in while we were sleeping. I ran to the noise and pounded on the blinds while I grabbed a knife and saw a silhouette run away. Police never found him even with fingerprints, it was 5 years ago. Now I have a 38 main floor, 380 in bedroom and a 12 gage for good measure. Don't think it can't happen to you, and no I don't live in a high crime area I live in Naperville Illinois.

S Barnhardt likes this.
  19. S Barnhardt

Glad entry wasn't made. You mention the police never found anyone "even with fingerprints." The business you see on TV where they get a fingerprint and shortly they know who it is is "made-for-TV", so to speak. It doesn't happen that way in every-day business. If the person has never been fingerprinted, usually for a crime, their prints are not going to show up in an AFIS search. Prints are more often than not, used to confirm a suspect rather than to tell you "who did it." The short and sweet of it is............Don't believe everything you see on the law TV programs.

20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

But it provides great cardio.

and a cricket bat works great as well.

[​IMG]

:eatdrink013:

stuartganis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.