Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Robert1955, Jan 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MileMarker60

MileMarker60 Member

Is it bad that some people are way more concerned about the effects this virus has on the global economy then they are about the health aspect? Asking for a friend;)

Keithmax likes this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

IMO, there's good reason to be concerned about both. It is being realistic in terms of how the world is now.

As with any disease, it is a fact that some will succumb while most do not. Don't think I'm being callous for saying that because I'm not. I'm just pointing out the factual way things have always been. Corona can kill. It is not novel in that regard.

But because supply lines and money systems are are so intricately interconnected nowdays, the effects of a damaged economy (not to mention collapse) will impact EVERYONE in one way or another -- as it already is starting to do -- and can have repercussions for years, long after the pandemic burns out.

Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Earlier today, I saw a person with a mask going one way, then a couple minutes later another person with a mask going the opposite way.

Keithmax likes this.
  6. MileMarker60

MileMarker60 Member

It's me... I'm the "friend" ..:eatdrink047:
    I know it sounds callous but at this point in time, I'm not sure wrecking the world economy is the answer.. only time will tell.

Keithmax and gorgo2 like this.
  7. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Hey I understand that people are tired of being at home but this is a complicated situation. Sure everything seems fine, people just panicked over nothing. Paying attention the people in charge course is a joke, what do they know
    More than me I think.
    Just stay home. How hard is that? Let the health care people work on what they need to do. There is a big picture here but do you want to help or contribute to the problem..
    Stop being selfish and petty and let's get through this. Together. In one piece ..

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

jmudrick likes this.
  8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    If I had anywhere to go, I would. Plenty of folks working out there. Not just healthcare workers.

I don't think the people "in charge" know anything. Those numbers they keep throwing at us don't mean squat.

Redfisher and DaltonGang like this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

:banghead:[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Me, I find a way to get a workout , every day. I also am ordered to go into work, every day. I would love to stay at home, with the rest of the family.
    One good thing about going to work, I get out and get to talk with many, many people, and get a feel for how attitudes about this situation is going. Around here, small businesses are really hurting, and many are out walking, jogging, and riding bikes. There are also those that act as if the world is coming to an end.
    The wife gets to stay at home, lesson plan for her students, enjoy mother/daughter time, and have a stay at home/neighborhood vacation.
    At least this thing isn't going to effect us, financially.

Edison Carter likes this.
  11. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

This is exactly why you should just stay home for a bit .just chill . Loo TV[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Well I'm working from home. So far I'm not liking it nearly as much as I imagined I would, which was not at all.

MileMarker60 likes this.
  13. MileMarker60

MileMarker60 Member

Don't get me wrong I'm not against some social distancing.. a shut down of a couple weeks isn't going to kill most people. But, when you start stretching it out to 30 days or more, IMHO that's where small business are going to crumble. They just aren't set up to run that long without a income.

14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

No, they're not. And that's why we have governments, to extend the social safety net as these circumstances require. Hopefully this government will act responsibly in doing so rather than pretending problem solved.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  15. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Over the past 64 days China has accumulated almost 3300 deaths. Outside of China there have been more than 3400 deaths just this week - - and it's only Tuesday.
    image%3A32289.png

16. MileMarker60

MileMarker60 Member

This is not meant to be a snarky replay, I'm truly interested..
    Are you a small business owner? If your business collapses due to a prolonged quarantine what are you expecting from the government?

17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm expecting my government to act before small businesses collapse by providing necessary income support, loan/mortgage/rent guarantees plus capital when start up is again feasible. This is what civilized societies should expect.

"European policymakers are stepping up their response. Fiscal policy, as expected, is leading the way, with the governments looking at a variety of measures, including postponing tax collection, allowing households and businesses to delay mortgage and loan repayments, giving banks the regulatory leeway to allow customers to postpone debt interest payments, helping the self-employed with cash payments, and governments underwriting emergency loans to small and medium-sized enterprises..."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...17/italy-europe-covid-economy-ecb-coronavirus

18. MileMarker60

MileMarker60 Member

So I'm assuming you're somewhere in Europe, is that correct?

19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

No I just follow the news. I'm in California.

20. MileMarker60

MileMarker60 Member

"by providing necessary income support, loan/mortgage/rent guarantees plus capital when start up is again feasible"
    How will "necessary income support" be determined and by who?
    "capital when start up is again feasible " sounds like a fancy way of saying small business loan. IMHO most small business's will not be looking to add debit to their business coming out of this.
    Report out today:
    "A new analysis released Tuesday shows that more U.S. workers filed unemployment claims last week than during any other week in the nation's history.
    An estimated 3.4 million Americans filed such claims for the week ending March 21, according to the findings from the Economic Policy Institute (EPI)."
    [​IMG]
    I totally understand you and I won't see it the same way, and that's completely fine.
    I'm only giving my opinion and the opinion of other small business friends. I complete understand other wont agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.