The Misfit Razor Thread

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Terry, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Now we've all seen them, or heard rumores of their existence.
    A razor that just isn't seen or heard from very often.
    One hit wonders, unique designs that just didn't make it in the wet shaving word.
    Some work great, but demand big bucks to own one.
    Some are in the shaving draw of history.
    Just for fun...
    Show them off, pictures.
    Give some history, if there is any.
    Why did you want it?
    Have you shaved wit it?
    Do you need to mod a blade to fit and instructions how, if you can.

I have a few laying around here too.

Thanks

tp

2. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

Here’s an Apollo razor from Solingen Germany I got for my birthday back in December. It’s a 3 piece razor that has some significant weight to it. The baseplate I believe is Bakelite and it has a scalloped side and a solid bar side and accepts modern blades without modification. It’s a very efficient razor; I think if I’m not mistaken this razor was considered a travel razor by Apollo. However this handle is longer than most Gillette travel razors and heavier. F8B4CC72-F74A-4E99-8B4C-1C022A32294D.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  3. Angelo85

Here’s a Leresche no61, it gives a super close shave. I wanted it because I’ve heard good things about vintage Leresche razors. It accepts modern blades no problem. FD8FC5BE-66C4-4980-9E77-CB38B991154A.jpeg

4. Angelo85

I also have a Stahly Live Blade razor that, when wound up vibrates. From what I know it was made from the 1940’s until I think the 1960’s or 70’s. It was back then a very luxurious razor to own. I’ve shaved with it a few times using modern blades with no modifications and despite this razors heavy weight (over 5 ounces) it delivers a mild shave. My Stahly still vibrates when I wind it up. I mainly wanted this razor for its novelty and history. F9560671-AD38-47C9-960C-690862B40820.jpeg

5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That the Stahly was in production for 35 years attests to the success of the design not to its being a misfit. It's a great shaving razor in my book, mild but more efficient than you'd expect.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Clix all metal EZ Flo. My best shaver.

7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Nice razor indeed

8. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

GREAT!

A razor I bought for a little of nothing because I just wanted it, looked so simple.
    Introducing the ...

DIME RAZOR.

20200325_111354.jpg
    It's just a handle and a bent wire..
    The shave is amazingly good for a bent wire and a wood handle.
    20200325_111627.jpg

I've shaved with it a few times and it works great.
    Its light, making it great for a head shaver like me.
    20200325_111737.jpg
    The handle doesn't fit tight till it gets wet.
    This caused the handle to swell into the collar.
    After it dries out, the handle comes off and fits into the metal container it came in.

20200325_114927_2_2.jpg

Although the blades aren't available anymore, by taking off the spine of a Personna GEM blade, it fits and shaves great.

I'd say that it is a misfit razor to say the least.

EDIT.....
    For those who care.
    This razor was made by the International Safety Razor Company, New York, N.Y. 1907.
    tp

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I like my Simplex and my Dutch Philite Razors.

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The Shake Sharp was conceived in a period of wartime scarcity -- first patent application January '43 - but released during the interwar period of plenty. When Gillette thin blades could be had for a couple cents not many were compelled to buy a premium priced razor whose claim to fame was extending blade life. As it happens it's a great shaver and my favorite razor by considerable margin.[​IMG]

11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

The Berkeley Custom Shaver should fit in nicely here. Unique in form, but, originally trailblazing in many ways.
    The ergonomic design is very unique. Many comments the shave of the day threads. It sorta looks like an electric I suppose. Excellent for those with hand dexterity issues.
    It may be the first adjustable. It has a scallopped head serving as a self lubricating razor.
    The body holds extra blades, and the adjustments decrease to no exposure thereby making relaively travel safe.
    It shaves very nicely, if it was less scarce, I'd use it more.
    I'm truly surprised it's praises are not sung more often. 20190502_191059_resized.jpg

SRQShaver, Enrico, jgreenepa and 9 others like this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Of course many European adjustables preceded it, Gibbs being the most common. Among American producers the Segal Adjustable would have been available around the same time ('46-'48).

13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I really enjoy the Gibbs (non-adjustable) I won in the TSD raffle from @BBS I get a fantastic shave every time.

:eatdrink013:

14. Aztecmike

Aztecmike George

Ryley Resilient Razor is bit of on odd one. Unscrewing lower part of handle allows the razor head to pivot while shaving. Head is under spring tension so it returns to center position when there is no pressure applied to it. So far I have only shaved with it once & with the head locked in place..pretty decent shave on first use but need to get it some more use & try out the spring pivot feature on next go around.
    200325_185738_COLLAGE-1.jpg
    US1933186-drawings-page-1.png

15. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Nice!
    tp

jgreenepa and Aztecmike like this.
  16. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Introducing the TRAVALONG safety razor.
    Made by the PAK CO. Cleveland, Ohio, 1944
    If you look, it is just big enough to fit 2 blades in it as you travel.
    The size is very compact being the size of a tuck of Feather blades.
    I found this razor at an antique store in a small city off a main highway.
    I'd been there a few times but hadn't seen anything interesting for a while.
    The shave is mild and it is amazing that it works at all.
    Properly used, it gives a good shave with no issues to the most green wet shaver.
    Tricky loading the blade because the blade is set in the head, the handle is snapped on by
    expanding it to fit in two slots.
    Seeing how I loaded a new blade in tonight, I'll shave with it tomorrow morning.
    20200329_205325.jpg 20200329_205338.jpg 20200329_205443.jpg 20200329_205715.jpg 20200329_205806.jpg

I'll call it a one hit wonder.
    tp

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  17. Aztecmike

Aztecmike George

"The Ball" Roller Guard Razor took a couple of shaves to dial in, but riding the cap gives an excellent, smooth yet efficient irritation free shave. The guard definitely has an odd feel upon first use, but by my 2nd shave I really enjoyed it. This razor also favors a thinner layer of shaving cream to really shine. Very little info to be found on this gem...only "MADE IN ENGLAND" & "PATENT APPLIED FOR" stamped on the base plate.
    200326_004041_COLLAGE-1.jpg
    From A Safety Razor Compendium...
    Screenshot_2020-02-15-23-12-53.jpg

18. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

So many goofy looking razors!

jgreenepa, Terry and Herm2502 like this.
  19. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Sooo many scary razors!

But, isn't the preferred term "differently abled" now? :D Oh wait... we can't say "different" either. :eek:
    "Specially gifted"?

Terry and jgreenepa like this.
  20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

There's flat and then there's FLAT.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

SRQShaver, SharptoothC, Terry and 7 others like this.