The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Gnomeo0228

Gnomeo0228 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone! final shave with the amazing Stirling Stainless Steel razors. I feel blessed to have been able to test these out. I prefer the "standard" head myself. I will be sensing the razors back to Rod in the next day or so. Hopefully you here who saw the videos enjoyed them as much as I did. Here is the video and I would also like to give a little back to the community :)

2. Klatu

Klatu Member

My favorite Stirling scent is the strongest scent in my collection, Pumpkin Spice. I love strong scents and was hoping that you lot could help me find the strongest orange scent in the current range.

So far I'm looking at Satsuma, Arkadia, and Pharaoh's Dreamsicle. Which of these is the strongest scent?

3. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

I like my scents to be powerhouses as well. :D

Are you after more of a pure orange scent? If so, you'll probably want to avoid Arkadia (one of my favorite scents by Stirling) which is heavier on the cedar. Fantastic scent though, and pretty strong--too strong, in fact, for the Missus. She makes me sad.

Pharaoh's Dreamsicle is not what I'd call a pure orange either, but more so than Arkadia, and also has a pretty decent scent strength. Between my two sons who are old enough to shave, they've got 4 soaps that they share, and PD is the one I smell most often after one of them shaves--they love it.

I've yet to try Satsuma, but have heard nothing but good things. I'll try it out when next I feel like grabbing a sample (probably some time in the summer). As to the scent strength, though, I really couldn't tell you.

4. Klatu

Klatu Member

I'm not necessarily asking to be slapped across the face with an orange, but I'm also not not asking.

I'd be willing to take some vanilla or cologne with my citrus beat down.

5. timabababaluka

If you like your scents strong, then, and don't mind a grapefruit/cedar-forward orange, I'd definitely go with Arkadia.

Again, no personal experience with Satsuma, but the impression I get is Pharaoh's Dreamsicle is the middle ground here between scent strength and orangey goodness.

Perhaps someone can hop in and correct me if I'm wrong on this--wouldn't be the first time, and won't be the last ;)

6. jayjacque

jayjacque Well-Known Member

I'm a newbie to Stirling, so others would be able to say more from experience. Anyway the last few months I must like orange because I ended up getting a lot of Stirling's orange soaps and A/S. I've still only used each of them a couple times, but my assessment is pretty close to Tim's. I love them all! I'm also waiting on the edge of my seat for Satsuma to make its way up here to Canada, thinking that one is a no brainer, that I'll love it as well. I shouldn't speak for someone else, but on page 457 of this thread, close to the bottom of the page, Edison Carter said Satsuma was the longest lasting citrus A/S splash he has, and I imagine that's saying a lot, since so far my limited experience with orange is it doesn't have much duration. (and Edison's reviews are pretty respected) I too am learning I like my soaps to be strong. Of the ones I've gotten Lemon Chill fits that perfectly. Margaritas in the Arctic, Almond Creme, and Ozark Mountain also medium strong and pleasing. Looking to maybe add Black Cherry sample as that's supposed to be strong and maybe some of the glacials.

7. jayjacque

PS I forgot Iced Pineapple. That's the one I'm most looking forward to getting. I'd be real disappointed if it weren't strong, but judging by other people's comments, it should be.

8. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Iced Pineapple is a fantastic scent (one of my favorites). I feel that it has a strong scent (and strong menthol blast too). I highly recommend it.

9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

10. timabababaluka

I'll be using IP for the 1st time today--wonderful scent off the puck, and fairly strong. As to longevity, that remains to be seen. Either way, very excited to give it a whirl :D

11. Paul Turner

I'm torn between Iced Pineapple and Lemon Chill for the next REAL COLD soap for my den. The Frost Drops will help out for my two Razorocks, but it can be more humid here in Boston than it is in Tuscaloosa. And you can tell the school President I said that. :)

12. jayjacque

Where I live they think it's summer weather at 60 degrees Fahrenheit. So need to wait til hot or humid weather to use summer soaps and scents. Today's been snowing however yuk.

Edit: I meant I can't wait til hot weather to wear summer scents. That may never come!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  13. Paul Turner

Right, you probably have much more time for, say, Clubman, Stoylin Texas On Fire, anything Leather, than you would for Aqua Velva, or a frozen Stoylin soap(course it isn't Frozen, it just goes on that way).

14. Klatu

Klatu Member

Where do you live?

15. mrbaho

mrbaho Member

If you want an orange scent go for the Satsuma. Arkadia is also one of my favorite soaps but it has other scents added.

ezlovan, Frijolero, jayjacque and 4 others like this.
  16. jayjacque

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada. I'm an American living up here the last 16 yrs. Married to a Canadian lady, so no plans to move back down :D

17. Paul Turner

EHHH LADIES AND UH GENTLEMEN:

Well, time does fly. We've reached the two week warning for this season's second Stoylin Tony Awards Nomination Day. Course a lot of events have been cancelled on that day here in Massachusetts due to corona virus concerns. But since the Tony Awards nominations are performed indoors, we feel safe and secure moving right along.

18. Klatu

Klatu Member

Sounds made up.

19. Paul Turner

The place exists.

20. Paul Turner

That's great to get the boys started with Stoylin(among others I guess).