Phoenix Artisan comments

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by cubancigar2000, Feb 6, 2015.

1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I would like to try these soaps. Anybody who has any feedback on any of these soaps and or the OC razor also please comment. Thx in advance

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have CAD, it's very good! Slick, very easy to lather. The scent is just like a can of Barbasol shaving goo. From what I've read PAA aftershaves are fantastic! I've yet to buy one.

3. Theomatic

Theomatic Member

I have several of their first offerings, i.e., Synergy soaps. They are excellent vegan soaps.

Tdmsu likes this.
  4. Hersh

Hersh Well-Known Member

I like the cavendish aftershave. It is one of the best splashes ive tried. Plus my wife and my dog love it

5. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

They are the same as the How To Grow A Mustache and Petal Pusher Fancies soaps, right? If so, it stands to reason that reviews for those two soap brands would also apply the the Phoenix Artisan labeled soaps. That is provided they have not changed the formula. There is a thread on their open comb razor, or one of them anyways: First flight of the Phoenix. Along with the Merkur Futur one of the two coolest looking razors around IMHO.

Edit: Never mind, it looks like they are the same.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  6. natal000

natal000 Active Member

Love all the phoenix soaps but i miss the packaging when they were how to grow a mustache. Great consistent quality throughout their line. If you can, buy the bigger cannisters (8oz) easier to work with and will last forever

Paul Turner likes this.
  7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I just grabbed the HTGAM version of the Synergy The Beach soap. After one use so far, the performance seems about the same as the couple of Mama Bear's soaps I've tried, but the scent on this one is AWESOME. I just couldn't put it back in the box. Had to keep it. I hear there's a matching aftershave I may have to pick up after my Lent Restraint...

8. Ghost Town

Ghost Town New Member

I wouldn't say the scent is awesome.. it's ok.. really. I have yet to try something that really knocks me off my socks yet. I like bay rum, but only because it grew on me. I want something that smells good on the first wiff.

9. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I was not impressed with the performance of HTGAM. I thought it was mediocre, no slickness, no cushion, and very little skincare. But I might be a minority. I also have other problems with that company that I will not discuss here.

crackstar, Slow Joe, Shaver X and 4 others like this.
  10. icemanwbs

icemanwbs Well-Known Member

11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Then again, you might not be in the minority.

The allegations I read on The Shave Nook and Reddit were rather troubling. But are they accurate or not? If they turn out to be false, which I hope, then it is just more annoying wetshaving drama. If true, they would make me want to give up traditional wetshaving and go back to using an electric razor. It is a lot more than one particular vendor or one particular forum.

12. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

One thing I did like about Cavendish was the scent. My King Brown Long Hold Pomade smells very similar to it. But the scent is the only thing I liked about it.

As for the allegations... from my own research, it makes Synergy, HTGAM, or Phoenix (what is the actual name?) Anyway, it makes the company and people behind it seem very sketchy. But I don't want to get the thread closed, so I will leave it at that.

Shaver X, drjenkins and crackstar like this.
  13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I only know one soap from HTGAM/Phoenix which is the potently-mentholated Frost_byte. I love that soap very much. Now, as for the way the owner does business I will keep my comments to myself.

14. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I just sent away for the Cavendish soap, star jelly balm, and cologne. I'll report back when I get it and try it out.

15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I did a Cavendish soap-but from a different company. Liked it.

I have the "Boomtown Bay Rum". It does provide a nice feeling during and after the shave.

16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

They may be, but I don't like the jacked-up prices. Course they're a LITTLE cheaper than Bill Neumann's aftershaves.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  17. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Alright, so, my set arrived today in the mail. I got the full set: shave soap, aftershave jelly in a pump bottle, aftershave cologne, and underarm deodorant.

The scent of Cavendish is something I haven't really smelled in a long time, not since the local pipe and collectible shop, The Tinder Box, closed down in the early 1990s. I got mostly vanilla-coconut notes with underlying tobacco.

The soap itself generated a nice amount of lather in my Phoenix Moonscape shave scuttle, was nice and slick, had plenty of cushion and glide. But I still found myself having to tread carefully as I got a couple of weepers with my Gillette Heritage-Inspired three-piece and an Astra Superior Platinum on its third use. The soap itself got the job done and felt good on my skin.

The aftershave jelly! This hybrid balm and lotion is mentholated and daaaamn, the cool sensation on my skin is still in effect nearly 30 minutes after my shave! Smells great, goes on excellently, no greasy feeling or residue.

The deodorant has the same pleasant vanilla-coconut scent and seems kind of soft so I expect I will end up going through it relatively quickly if I use it daily, but I'll likely only use it with the rest of the set on my Sunday rotation schedule. Should last a while that way.

The aftershave cologne has the same scent, went on the back of my neck and in my hair as with all my colognes and splashes containing alcohol.

I'm impressed. There are better, slicker soaps out there, particularly the Italian brands, but it's at least as good as my Dr. Jon's soaps for performance and definitely competes with that brand for pleasant, manly scent profiles. Did I mention Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements produces vegan shave products? Well, if you're ever on the fence for vegan versus tallow, know that whether the base is vegetable or animal is less important than the skill of the soap-maker in combining the various ingredients.

Those, by the way, are:

Potassium Stearate, Glycerin, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Potassium Kokumate, Sodium Lactate, Potassium Shea Butterate, Potassium Castorate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Cocoa Butterate, Potassium Avocadoate, Parfum [Fragrance]

Paul Turner likes this.