Self Sharpening SE's

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Moose, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy. In my boredom, I have been searching for obscure (to me) razors online. I came across a Shake Sharp and was ammused to see how to sharpen the blade. I felt stupid that I was suprised by that given the title. Anyway, I know there are some fans of Shake Sharps around here. Does this mechanism work? How is the shave? Do Auto Strops do the same thing? Are there other self sharpening razors out there that actually work well? So curious...

razorshakesharpinstruction2.jpg

jimjo1031 likes this.
  2. Aztecmike

Aztecmike George

The G.E. Jones Shake Sharp Razor is an absolutely wonderful shaver & was what I used for my shave today. I have only used it with stainless steel blades & I believe the sharpening feature will only benefit a carbon steel blade, so I have yet to test out the sharpening feature. This was my set-up for today...
    20200407_071224~2_resize_68.jpg
    April 7th, 2020

G.E. Jones Shake Sharp Razor
    Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge (3)
    Ever-Ready 275 lucite handle
    w/ synthetic tuxedo knot
    Razorock Acqua Soap & Splash

jimjo1031 likes this.
  3. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Nice shave!

4. Aztecmike

Aztecmike George

Thank you! If you run across one of these for a reasonable price..jump on it..they are really that good! There is also an earlier model of this razor with a bakelite handle & it's an exceptional razor as well.

5. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out...