Penhaligon VS. D R Harris

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by stingraysrock, Jun 10, 2019.

1. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Happy Monday From Florida!

So, over in the 2019 Traveling Box Thread, there is/was a puck of Penhaligon Blenheim Boquet Soap.

I admit that I just could not wait for the box to come back to me so I could try the soap. Then I saw an opinion in the thread that Penhaligon had stopped making hard soap, I knew I needed to find some.

So, I jumped on fleabay and grabbed an NOS puck of the soap, in a wooden bowl. When the soap arrived, I soaked a brush, shook out most of the water, swirled the brush on the puck four times and took the brush to my face.

Wow! Just a few swirls and paints to the face and I was rewarded with some of the most creamy, gliding, slipping lather that I have ever had. The shave was phenomenal!

Soooo anyway! Now that it appears Penhaligon soap is no more; what would be a close second? D R Harris perhaps? Dunno for sure, it is a triple milled soap from the same country (I think.)

Help!

Frijolero and cliffb599 like this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

To me, Crabtree and Evelyn is a little better than dr Harris

I have these 2 plus the penhaligon

Frijolero and brit like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

i like the crabtree and evelyn as well..nice soap..

Frijolero likes this.
  4. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

The trouble with Crabtree and Evelyn is that it's been through multiple reformulations. The original is great. The latest is, too. But the first reformulation was abysmal. So the trick is knowing which one you're getting.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  5. Jorvaljr

I don’t follow soap makers reformulations. Lol I’m very ignorant to all the technical stuff regarding this hobby. When Razorock, PAA or anyone else changes the formulas I don’t know why, how , when or what. I got what I get and I use what I got without knowing if it’s good, bad, modified or reincarnated. Lol. Personally my brain is too dense to absorb all of that info.

brit and Frijolero like this.
  6. stingraysrock

I had a couple flavors of C&E shortly after getting started here in 2010. I don't remember the performance though. The scent was great, Sierra, maybe?

Jorvaljr and Frijolero like this.
  7. Frijolero

Or Sienna? I never got to try it. But I know it got a lot of love from guts who did.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  8. Frijolero

If you can lather it, then you didn't get the bad stuff.

PLANofMAN and Jorvaljr like this.
  9. Jorvaljr

Then I got the bad stuff when it comes to Williams. I have a sneaky suspicion that Williams is a basic bar of soap now. The darn thing doesn’t lather with water or without. The lather I do get is about the same as a basic everyday bar of soap. It disappears before I can finish Lather the opposite side of the face.

10. basil

basil Well-Known Member

I still have three pucks of the Crabtree and Evelyn( sienna, nomad and sandalwood) they are good but I love my dr Harris soaps. I use the dr Harris as often as I can

Jorvaljr likes this.
  11. Jorvaljr

I’m on the hunt for the sienna and nomad. The dr Harris is good but I feel the Crabtree gets creamier .

brit and basil like this.
  12. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Hmmm I’m trying to think about how they compare for me. I feel like they about on par for me. But I’ll do a back to back test to make sure. As for finding the soaps I thought they stopped making them? I bought all of mine maybe 8 years ago and I’ve not even made a dent in them.

13. Frijolero

14. brit

brit in a box

me too..

15. basil

basil Well-Known Member

brit and Frijolero like this.
  16. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

IMHO, shaving soaps and creams from these brands to have the very best scents:

Crabtree & Evelyn
    D.R. Harris
    Geo F. Trumper
    Penhaligon's
    Taylor of Old Bond Street
    The Art of Shaving
    Truefitt & Hill

Their products give really great shaves, too. My take is just get whatever is the least expensive at the time. This likely also applies to shaving creams and soaps from any of the French, Spanish, Italian, British, or American luxury perfume brands.

brit likes this.
  17. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

I love my D.R. Harris shave soaps. I currently have Marlborough, Arlington, Windsor and Sandalwood; I’m also waiting on Lavender to be delivered to my home. My favorite scent of theirs is Marlborough with its mix of cedar wood and sandalwood.

18. Campion

Campion Active Member

I've only used DR Harris sticks, which are very good soap indeed. Never used the bowls or the refill pucks for the bowls. It's the same soap, however. I've tried Marlborough, Windsor, & Lavender. They're great for travel as the stick has its own case. The performance and scent of each is outstanding. I like the fact that the scents are subtle and understated- not at all 'in your face' (although where else would a shaving soap be?). In that sense they are very British indeed. You can't get any more British than a shave with a Simpson's brush and a DR Harris soap!
    I've always been intrigued with Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet aftershave/cologne ever since I learned that it was the choice of several men I've admired. I've even heard that it was the daily fave of the late Pope John Paul II. I've never even smelled it, but I know that at some point I'll get myself a bottle. When I was single I had no problem spending $90 or $100 for a cologne, but I've been married 25 years, and most of my money has gone to feeding these damn kids, who not only insist on eating several times a day but also demand things like shoes and books for school. The cheek of them! But the last one is in college now, so maybe in 3 or 4 more years I'll finally get that Blenheim Bouquet.

Angelo85 likes this.
  19. stingraysrock

Buy their scent library. One of my best purchases ever. You might find it cheaper, but here is a link for an in stock item:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BL39ZK/?tag=thshde-20

Campion likes this.
  20. Macbeth

Macbeth Active Member

I just happened to receive my Penhaligons "Scent Library" yesterday actually found it for $20 shipped. ( one was missing)

Gonna start with the oft mentioned Blenheim Bouquet tomorrow. Never tried ANY of

So this is my chance.

Steve56, Campion and Angelo85 like this.