blade vs electric

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by haroldwashington, Jan 12, 2020.

1. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

My rotary is over 30 yrs old, I have used it on occasion, have never really enjoyed the experience or gotten a smooth,comfortable BBS shave in all that time. Probably been 20 yrs since the last time I used it. The only plus I found was it was a little easier to transport on a vacation. If I had to choose between either an electric or a cart from now on, the cart would win. :happy088:

Edison Carter likes this.
  2. razorhead63

razorhead63 Member

Your feeling is accurate.. it’s because they do provide a closer shave. Nothing else to add.

3. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Picky, picky, picky! :p

(You're right, though.) :happy088:

steve207 and gorgo2 like this.
  4. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

I was an electric-only shaver for many years. I still keep electrics on hand for those occasional stray whiskers remaining around my lips after wet shaving, and for trimming eyebrows, sideburns, and neck hair.

I can get a BBS shave from my Norelco rotaries, but it takes just as long as blade shaving to do so, PLUS I have to keep the heads meticulously clean--brushing out the heads daily, and soaking them in alcohol after every four shaves. Additionally, replacing the heads on schedule is an expensive nuisance.

At the end of the day, it's the luxuriant fragrances, the fun of using a brush to build a perfect lather, and the economy of blade shaving that keeps me lathering up.

5. whaap

whaap Active Member

For most of my life I wet shaved. There was even a time there that I copied my grandfather and used a straight razor. Being 85 I've developed a spinal arthritic condition that prevents me from standing up for the length of time it would take me to accomplish a decent wet shave. I recently began researching an electric razor. My looking led me to a Braun which I purchased. Now I am able to take as long as I want while 'seated' in the bathroom. The Braun does an adequate job but it is not as good a shave as I got when I wet shaved.

steve207 likes this.
  6. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

Have tried to wet shave yet or is it just a dry shaver

7. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Maybe. But there's nothing better than their ferocious furry zeal to get me moving in the morning!

8. whaap

whaap Active Member

It's able to go wet but I have a hard time getting my head around the fact that it can be used wet. I guess I could use it in the shower as I have a seat/shelf in my shower but I'll probably keep using dry.

9. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

That's ok i found it much easier for the shaver to mow the whiskers down when you do wet and helps with the glide as well all you need is thin layer of lather and the lather help to protect sensitive skin just thought I'd let you know

whaap likes this.