What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

:thanks:

BearCWY, Ice-Man, esvh and 2 others like this.
  2. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Got the chopper out. He’s pretty excited about the prospects of the stork delivering a newborn sibling from Latvia. 31DC1F31-57A3-4AC9-903A-B9EEBA52B929.jpeg

3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Le Grelot, ‘Fleur D’Acier’ or ‘Flower of Steel’, soap was Klas Siefen lathered with a Tulip 2 and a splash of SMN lavande AS finished up a BDBS shave. Not too surprising, Le Grelots always agreed with my face.

B7A3F770-E132-4AFE-9FEB-68080BA6680E.jpeg

4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Sunday Shave: Filarmonica 13. The Tabac and Korous should ensure social distancing of at least 10 feet.

ID - 1 (2).jpeg

5. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Is Derby like Arko?

[​IMG]

Being the Stirling Fanboy that I am, I only stray on occasion.

The 30DC Arko April theme always reveals deep feelings. It is a soap I may try someday, but not today. In a couple of my Shave Nation purchases Geofatboy threw in a stick of Derby along with his personal note. So, considering this kind of soap 'lasts forever', I'm good for 2 'forevers'

Face lathered with the Omega boar in the popular method. Works well, don't know why I don't do it more.

Brought out the John Jay. I rescued this 5/8" piece from an antique store for $17. The 2 things catching my eye were the French point and the mother of pearl tang inlay. If used, it wasn't much. As you can see, Mother Nature and Father Time weren't it's best allies. It has a very hollow grind and did take a nice edge. It has become a pleasant Shaver.

The best info I can get indicates that Boker was offering these 'pearl tang' pieces starting with the early 1900's. I can't find anything on the John Jay branding though. Boker is still offering razor models with pearl tang inlays today.

Light stropping laps on glass/mag mount nanocloth (whatever that is) charged with 1/10 micron cBN paste. Followed by mag mount denim and roo. The stropping gear is from Chef Knives to Go (a Max Headroom Approved source for sharp). I've begun to like keeping the strop mount in my palm over benchtop.

Great comfortable shave from an keen-edgey but not toothy tool. Not a bad shave for $17...........plus a thousand or 2 in honing stuff. Not complaining, and don't forget, this is a hobby for me, not a Walmart run.

Finished up with Pinaud Clubman. I'm not offended by the scent, but not on the Max Headroom List of Most Glorious Stanks. What I do like is the sting-zing-thing.

Edison Carter signing out of Network 23, now on lockdown due to the blipvert outbreak.

6. esvh

esvh Well-Known Member

Heljestrand frameback. I did a further hone of the blade. It now works.

Soap was haslinger schafsmilch + tüff Herb as.

Have a nice day![​IMG]

7. Ice-Man

Ice-Man Well-Known Member

Tonights Shave

Ludwig & Schmidt Fairy 5/8
    Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Soap
    Shavemac Silvertip D-01 2 Band
    Creed Imperial Millesime Tester

47b.jpg

8. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Beautiful covered tangs @Edison Carter & @Ice-Man :)
    F. Fenney in her new wooden shoes. So much better on the strop and in hand... much better.
    Thought the wooden handled boar would pair nicely.
    E8D3E839-3BDF-445B-AFCF-01A3C157BAB6.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

9. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

Tonight shave.

Kikuboshi straight

Perfect strop

Simpson's IOM TT synthetic brush

Chiseled face ghost town barber soap and aftershave

Captains choice lather bowl

20200419_183920_compress41.jpg

10. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

7/8 + Tiger 37 with Thumbnotch

First straight shave in two weeks.
    Been busy with work and no extra time for a proper straight shave.
    So I treated myself to a great shave this Saturday .
    The Tiger produced a sublime shave.Love how this razor performs. rps20200418_150556_138.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Shave #96 on the Filly 14 Sub Cero.... Moving right along. Soap was Klar Siefen lathered with my Tulip 1 travel brush, and a splash of Myrsol Agua balsamica finished things up for a DFS.

12. Jake Gibson

Jake Gibson Well-Known Member

Can anyone help me please?!?! I just bought these two straight razors online and in the pictures of them they were closed.....now I know why!!! I know the small one is done but can the bigger one be saved at all?? 20200420_114456.jpg

Jayaruh, Jim99, Edison Carter and 5 others like this.
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Save the scales from the smaller one. The larger one can be saved, from what I can see. But, it will take a lot of work. The scales on the larger one has a crack, in a bad place, necessitating the replacement of the scales.

14. Jake Gibson

Jake Gibson Well-Known Member

@DaltonGang thanks for the advice but I'm such a newbie and this is kind of embarrassing but what are the scales? and how would I save them?

Edison Carter, BearCWY and Karl G like this.
  15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Scales are the same as handles. But, we call them scales.
    You remove the trashed blade. I use a very fine bladed jewelers file. It looks like a small Bow Saw. You cut the pin, between the scales and the blade, carefully.

16. Ice-Man

Ice-Man Well-Known Member

Tom that has turned out beautiful love the light streak on the top, it just screams high class and yes the brush does pair well :happy096:

17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

@Jake Gibson you can likely get your money back from eBay/PayPal unless the chips were described.

And if they don’t show you the blade, you don’t show them the money. There are several variations of this, poor lighting (not always a bad thing), angles intended to make worn blades look less worn, only showing one side of the blade, not showing all the blade, images of the blade few and late in the i age listing - usually concentrating on the box.

Jayaruh, Jim99, Jake Gibson and 7 others like this.
  18. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Nothing short of a fabulous shave with the big Kropp. So smooth, so sharp, so close. Hardly any touch up needed. Oh, and the lavender is quite nice, too. :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    Argan Oil PSO
    Castle Forbes Lavender Shave Cream
    Savile Row 3824
    Kropp 7/8
    Castle Forbes After Shave Balm

IMG_1754.jpg

Happy shaving - Karl

Jayaruh, Tanuki, Jim99 and 10 others like this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

esvh, TestDepth, GAW9576 and 2 others like this.
  20. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

:thanks: