Dead products and businesses that you miss

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by gorgo2, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

DriveIns and warm summer nights.

:eatdrink013:

Leo501, Ursa, speedster and 4 others like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Big Lots and even Dollar Tree when they didn't so much carry regular lines of items, but were the kind of place that the workers couldn't predict what would come in on the truck...you'd find stock from bought-out drug store chains, recently discontinued items which regular stores discarded, slightly damaged goods from overturned boxcars, and odd/bizzare stuff from who knows where that showed up once and was gone. Made shopping there much more interesting. Ollie's is kinda the same model but even that's not how it used to be.

Maybe 10 years ago when we were in Ohio, the BL there somehow came up with several bottles of that gross looking Orbitz beverage. The stuff was already old then (discontinued in '98) and I thought it had to be a joke, but there it was. Now I know there are collectors who hunt for the stuff...presumably not to drink it but who knows anymore. It was probably a buck a bottle...if only I knew then what I know now...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    Ursa and Frijolero like this.
  3. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

RCA stuff like the tv and vcrs my dad had one of there tvs when i was born it lasted for 25 years you can't beat that to bad they went out of business

4. whaap

whaap Active Member

For years we enjoyed Tony Roma's ribs but the only one here in Tucson closed quite a few years ago.

Frijolero and Paul Turner like this.
  5. whaap

whaap Active Member

I always enjoyed their fried clams.

Paul Turner likes this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Does anyone remember the Weston’s chain? It was a fast food place in the northeast US. I think they went out of business in 1970 or so. Great burgers!

Frijolero likes this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Sambo's

Frijolero, gorgo2 and Ursa like this.
  8. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Products I miss from bygone days: Snowy bleach. Final Touch fabric softener. Tangerine Diet Rite soda. Navigator (by Starbucks) coffee. BVD underwear that's USA made. Bathroom tissue in colors other than white.

Retailers I miss from years ago: Burger Chef and Bonanza restaurants. A&P and Red Owl grocery stores. Gambles hardware stores. Pranges and Younkers departments stores.

We still have a Ponderosa restaurant nearby. Whenever I stop there, it's hard not to think that it'll be my last meal ever at a Ponderosa.

Frijolero, gorgo2 and Enrico like this.
  9. emkeane

emkeane Member

It’s weird, but I loved Pringle’s potato chips in curry flavor. I’ve looked all over the world for this.

10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Five and Dime Stores.

Frijolero, Jim99 and gorgo2 like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Every visit to Ben Franklin when I was little was like Christmas. We didn't have much money so I was pretty easily impressed.

Frijolero, Jim99, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  12. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Oh Henry candy bars, recently discontinued. Spenser and Devon Sage Shave Cream, best I ever used and wish it were still around

Ursa, Frijolero and gorgo2 like this.
  13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Rise ORIGINAL Shaving Cream. I'll throw in Rapid Shave, too(I bet both can be purchased now on Ebay though).

14. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

88cents stores

15. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

Borders Bookstore aka Borders Books & Music

Music stores like Sam Goody, Tower...

Ursa, Frijolero, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

marks and spencer..

Frijolero and gorgo2 like this.
  17. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

I just caught this thread and it brought back memories. During college I worked at A&S (men’s outwear) in NJ and moonlighted at Sam Goodies for an 80 hr a week schedule. Heck, Today one could claim they miss malls. They are all disappearing.
    Steve

Ursa, Frijolero, Leo501 and 3 others like this.
  18. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Steve, A&S and Sam Goodies were great stores.

Based on your location at the time, would have known Two Guys (from Hackensack), Bambergers, EJ Korvettes, and WT Grant’s. I miss them all.

Smooth Steve, Ursa, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  19. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Who can forget Mister Donut! After a very late evening out, they were one of the few places open for a greasy doughnut and a cup of joe! Of course that was a 100 years ago.

20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Not quite a 100 years, but only feels that way. :)

img_9438.jpg

:eatdrink013:

Keithmax, Paul Turner, Ursa and 2 others like this.