The almost sort of Comprehensive Guide to the Gillette Tech

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Aug 9, 2018.

1. brit

brit in a box

brit #25 service set.. 20200411_112420_edited_edited.jpg

2. brit

brit in a box

the 1953 #34 german aluminum tech.. 20200412_161335_edited_edited.jpg

3. brit

brit in a box

20200305_185210_edited_edited.jpg

Aztecmike and Enrico like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

#26 4 piece tech set.. 20200430_101115_edited.jpg

5. brit

brit in a box

french tech set.aluminum handle,post war brass/nickel base plate,unique engraved cap.. 20200702_135600_edited.jpg 20200702_135527_edited.jpg

6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

brit likes this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

thank you Keith.

Enrico likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    brit likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

oh probably ,zamak as well.one of the early ones before the base plate change up.i meant engraved instead of etched..

10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    brit likes this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

very cool.i scored it on ebay france.blades made in england h-4..not a lot of info on the french gillettes.here's the other one i scored a while back .solid thin handle..razor head made in england case in france .i am thinking 1950.. il_794xN_edited.jpg

EDC, PLANofMAN and Enrico like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    1962? That's quite a bit earlier than I expected. I figured it for a 1963-'64 transitional razor.

brit likes this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

i suspect the wrong blades.they are english and not french made.i have a j-2 stamped u.s tech set in box with the zamak cap and updated base plate.travel set as well nos.so your dates make sense.. 20200702_232702_edited.jpg

PLANofMAN and ischiapp like this.
  14. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

Hello, early ABC pockets had the first stamped bases, not the Tech.
    The British factory didn't use SC plates, only LC-s.
    The transparent base plate/barber pole handle, although pictures are gone, will be a rebranded Rotbart.

Adam

15. romsitsa

Flat bottom Techs don't appear anywhere before 1946, when they are advertised as "genuine post-war Gillette razor", so I'm skeptical with the service set. Most likely England couldn't switch to safety bar/stamped heads as the war broke out.

Adam

brit likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

i have this one as well,listed as a service set.has the logo and made in england below the pins instead of above them like the other flat bottoms.was the new/tech hybrid post war as well? 20200715_070915_edited.jpg

EDC and PLANofMAN like this.
  17. romsitsa

I'm pretty sure there were no safety bar razors produced in England before 1946. Three pieces (not called Tech in England) appeared in 1946, TTO-s in 1947.
    The hybrid / No 40 was only advertised in 1947, given it's price it shouldn't have been a best seller. Also I suspect it was made from remaining New base plates, as it's a bit narrower than flat bottom Techs.

Adam

PLANofMAN, brit and jmudrick like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

here is 4 of my regular use heads.the new /tech hybrid (upper left) and the french market rfb (lower right) are definitely similar in dimension..
    20200305_185210_edited_edited.jpg

ajc347, PLANofMAN and Droo78 like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

would be cool to make a 2 piece version of the #40 hybrid using an rfb handle assembly..

20. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Just a head's up. @twhite will probably be posting a "rare" pre-war slant Tech in here one of these days, since the Valencia slant jig will bend just about* any three-piece Gillette razor into a slant. :)

*with a few exceptions.

ajc347, brit, Droo78 and 2 others like this.