Dead products and businesses that you miss

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by gorgo2, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

White Owl cigars(never smoked one, but they were a major sponsor of the Boston Red Sox in the 1960's. ):

THINGS GO RIGHT
    WHEN YOU LIGHT
    UP
    A WHITE OWL

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  2. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

We had one in my hometown area that I used to frequent. There was something about their doughnuts that gave my terrible heartburn. But they were so dang delicious, I still ate way too many of them. The shop is still there; it's an independent doughnut store now. Their doughnuts still give me heartburn.

Jim99 likes this.
  3. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

Hubig's pies.
    https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life/eat-drink/article_a2bf85f8-a967-11e9-bbad-0bbdab82de82.html
    and
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubig's_Pies

Life is not the same without Hubig's pies. They survived the depression, survived Betsy and Katrina, and then a fire demolished the building in 2012. Supposed to be back in business this year, with a new factory in Jefferson Parish, but the virus is probably putting a hold on that. The company put out a great, traditional, iconic product, and they hired a lot of people to do things the old fashioned way, by hand, instead of a push button no-hands assembly line. They were and hopefully will be again, a part of local culture, and one of the small daily pleasures of life here. When I was a kid, if you had a Big Shot cola in one hand, and a Hubig's in the other, you were a very happy kid.

Jax beer. Regal was another local brand but not as sadly missed as Jax, and they went under before I was old enough to ever remember tasting it. Both were brewed in New Orleans. Falstaff had a brewery here, as well. And Dixie. Dixie is back, but TBH it had been so long since I drank one, I am not sure if the reborn Dixie is the same as the original, or not. Not a bad beer, though. But IIRC the first beer I ever drank was a Jax.

Picayune cigarettes. I stopped smoking cigarettes 40 years ago, and I still remember those Picayunes. They were horrible, impossibly strong, but from a distance (a long-ish distance) they actually smelled nice. And they made a great poultice for a hornet sting or jellyfish sting or hardhead puncture. This was another local brand, heavily based on a regional tobacco called Perique, which was grown and produced I believe only in St. Charles Parish. They were like the crack of cigarettes. Once you smoked a half dozen, you were hooked LOL! And your fingers were semipermanently stained from holding them. Smoking one was sort of a rite of passage in South Louisiana, so another part of local lore and culture to be missed. Sort of.

Frijolero and Jim99 like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Payday comes out with a chocolate covered version about once every 10-15 years. Oughtta be a regular item.

Frijolero likes this.
  5. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

I used to go to Two Guys in Middletown all the time and would always grab a dog with kraut from the stand in the entry way. Bradlees was popular too. Since I worked for Musicland, I also spend time at Tape World - lol. Worked at Woodbridge and would go to Sweet Lou's for beers and Monday night football after work.

Frijolero and Jim99 like this.
  6. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

Speaking of dead products, few things annoy me more than when Trader Joe's brings something out (and pushes it with in-store tasting) only to have it disappear about a year later. I suppose it's because they slap their name on outside vendor products under short contracts?

It's actually made me shop less at their store. I used to be a big fan.

Frijolero likes this.
  7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Heck yeah! Purple and orange upholstery, boysenberry syrup! My Grandpa took me there regularly when I was small. Littleton, CO.

gorgo2 and Enrico like this.
  8. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

Lipton Honey & Lemon tea. My ATF tea, nothing like it for cold/flu season. Still haven't found a replacement.

Frijolero and steve207 like this.
  9. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Golden Wonder cheese and onion crisps.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  10. The situational shaver

The situational shaver Well-Known Member

Real music stores.

11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    REAL Pool Halls. REAL Bowling Alleys. REAL Arcades.

12. brit

brit in a box

yes sir,miss the pool halls..we still have a bowling alley..

13. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

RCA didn't go out of business, they were bought by General Electric and the divisions sold off. Thompson, a French multinational corporation, acquired the TV group. Curtis International now makes RCA TVs, and also Sylvania.
    https://www.rca.com/us_en/television-4-us-en/roku-smart-167-us-en

14. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

Not the same they did go defunct for a while then got restarted by GE just like zenith that was restarted by a Korean company btw RCA was a Dutch company that sold here in us zenith was an American company that was in the now in Korea.

Enrico likes this.