What are you waiting on to arrive...?

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Darkbulb, Feb 17, 2014.

1. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

That looks like straight solid steel or iron, that looks like that might be a heavy heavy razor. nice find!

brit and Enrico like this.
  2. Macbeth

Macbeth Active Member

My CAPTAIN'S CHOICE Heavy copper shave bowl! Just in time to use my new brush!
    You guys said so many great things about it that I HAD to have one.

( I can hear a voice in the next room....."Not another SHAVING BOWL!"

3. brit

brit in a box

cool score,love mine..

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

An unused Simplex razor..............

s-l1600 (5).jpg

5. brit

brit in a box

Jrdelgado and jimjo1031 like this.
  6. jimjo1031

Thanks Gary.

Jrdelgado and brit like this.
  7. jimjo1031

It's nice being the only bidder. A cased Russian copy of the Gillette Super Adjustable 109............

s-l1600 (6).jpg

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    A Valencia Slant.
    il_794xN.2238469852_rgb1.jpg
    It's been 8 long years since I've allowed a slant to enter my Den. Hopefully this one doesn't exit as fast as my Hoffritz did.

speedster, BigD, jtspartan and 11 others like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

very cool Ryan.a bent single ring ..just kidding..;)..nice score sir..:)

Jrdelgado, Jim99 and PLANofMAN like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    We'll see. I didn't get on well with my last slant. This one is supposed to be mild...for a slant.

11. brit

brit in a box

new sc ,tallow and steel boreal forest set,41 regent tech,omega brush,77 new rfb set,7 oclock blue tuck blades, brit new rfb milady set.razor emporium replica old type handle.too much..:)..

12. brit

brit in a box

definitely looks cool..i hope it treats you well..:)..quite rare?

Jrdelgado likes this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Wasn't priced "rare." Was priced in the "uncommon" range. It does have bent teeth, so I don't know what an undamaged cased model would sell for, and I don't know what the demand for them is. Slants really are outside my wheelhouse of expertise.

I didn't know they existed 10 minutes before I bought it. Did a Google search to see if any others were for sale. There wasn't any. I bought it. I've been looking for an A&F slant for about 12 years, and this was 'close enough,' since it was brass, open comb, and a slant. @efsk has a bunch, so either they aren't that rare, he's been collecting them for a while, or he's French.

I think he's been collecting them for a while.

There's four (English language) threads specifically about Valencia razors, from four different shaving forums, and a total of two Worthpoint listings. According to efsk, they were either a subsidiary of Leresche, or Leresche made them for Valencia. The only DE razors Valencia produced were slants.

The following is pure speculation on my part:
    The style of manufacture indicates a production start date in the late 1920's or 1930's. I did see at least one 3 piece design, which means they probably continued manufacturing razors into at least the late 30's or early 40's.

(Edit: Unfortunately, my American views on razors biased my logic. American razors ditched the combined baseplate/handle design by the early 1930's. The French (Leresche) continued to produce that design until at least 1951, based on a 1951 Leresche price sheet. Based on that, Valencia razors could have been made any time between 1920 and 1960.)

They manufactured a variety of models, a la Gillette, with the same or similar razors in different packaging ranging from a "popular" model in a cardboard box, all the way up through a "de luxe" model, which came with metal blade, shave stick, and shave brush holders.

The handles are also (like many early Gillette razors) prone to cracking, and as all the razors are open comb, prone to tooth damage. That will have an effect on the amount that survived to present day.

I'd say, and again, this is pure speculation, that they are probably uncommon in France, and very rare outside of France.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    jtspartan, jimjo1031, efsk and 4 others like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

very cool Ryan. i can believe the french rarity part .i just received 2 french tech sets from the early 50's one solid thin handle post war type with a chrome tech case.Mr.razor said he had no info one it.the other is and aluminum set in a pressed board /wood type case.both have made in england on the base plate.the amount of them around seems to be very little ,especially for such common gillette types.not like they are toggles..the french tech handle is the thin type seen on old brit types but solid and heavy.i use it on my flat bottoms now..sure they would have been a hit
    il_794xN.2211382564_9zwe.jpg 20200418_101706_edited.jpg over.here.i haven't ever tried a slant razor,but i am understanding the benefits of their cutting type,slice vs chop..sorry to ramble..i hope it works out well for you,cool score..seems there is a lot of razors lost to the winds..:eatdrink047:

15. efsk

efsk Active Member

I'm Dutch. You see these pop up about as often as Darwin DE, but are nowhere in that pricerange. Fortunately. Pricing is weird as it is anyway. Prices for Walbusch B5 go up and up, yet an Eversharp adjustable slant, of which I've only ever seen one for sale, attracted not a lot of attention on the bay.
    As for rarity: the fat handle is the most common of the lot, thin handles not found that often, especially when long screw.

Haven't seen a cracked handle in the wild yet. More often, cases are missing.

brit, Enrico and PLANofMAN like this.
  16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It's a common problem with this model Valencia:
    valencia-open-comb-slant-vintage_1_1b6c07fe448947b347c01c3d8456d720.jpg
    It's an 801B, according to well... you. And since you seem to be the primary source of knowledge on these, where did you dig up the Leresche connection with this brand? I know Leresche was the Merkur of France, and often made razors for other companies, but aside from that, I don't see any other connections?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    speedster, BigD, brit and 2 others like this.
  17. efsk

efsk Active Member

18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Very informative site! A bit hard to navigate through, but I did find the razor you were talking about. Quite the beast! Makes most "double slants" look quite tame in comparison.

brit and efsk like this.
  19. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

My wife had to go out of town for a few days, so I am waiting on a cute friend of hers to arrive....ETA 8:00 pm

Yeah, I have become a real low- life.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

cliffb599 and myles wilson like this.
  20. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Let us All know how it turns OUT.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk