Hi from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by TomH135, Apr 27, 2020.

1. TomH135

TomH135 New Member

Hi, my name is Tom.

I found this site from links on the Bespoke Unit, the Badger and Blade, and the Whipped Dog Sites. I'm definitely not a newbie to shaving but I am a newbie to using a straight razor. I got my first straight razor for free, just paid for shipping. It's made in China which will send it to the unused pile after I decide which new straight razor to buy. If I'd known it was made in China I would have never bought it, but then I probably would have never considered using a straight razor to shave in the first place. Since getting that razor I've looked up soaps, brushes, sharpening, and honing. In fact, I'm now waiting for new stones to shapen it to absolute perfection. I feel confident in using stones to sharpen blades, having done it for years. Being a hunter and using both bows and firearms, there are many surfaces that need to be absolutely razor-sharp when hunting.

Shaving was something I've always disliked doing. At one point growing a beard which caused me to scratch it so much I thought I would bleed. I've shaved using canned foams, creams, and gels even the ones that heated as it's applied to your face. I've been shaving in the shower now for years without a mirror which helped greatly in not developing a rash so sensitive, that when touching it, it felt like my fingertips could sting and burn my skin and it looked terrible and felt that way too. At one point I developed a blood problem and was told I had to use an electric razor. I tried both the Remington, that had a rectangular head and the Norelco with three floating heads. Both developed a rash that burned and got worse by just wearing a dress shirt and tie and if I sweat and a droplet hit that area it felt like I was sweating lava it burned so much.

Thank the heavens I drove a truck and loved that job, so I didn't need to shave every day. Once a week or even less time was the order of the day. Now being retired I still don't need to shave every day but still do need to clean up now and again. I can take my time, having no rush for this chore. Instead of it being a chore I want to look forward to the time for myself when I get to shave. I have learned about straight razors, brushes, and how to prepare for the lathering. The shaving set I bought was a moderately priced set that included a brush, soap puck, stand, and bowl. I've added a mug to whip up the shaving lather rather than try to do that on a wet face. I will use a hot towel to prepare my face after washing, I'll set it up as a truly relaxing time and do it without needing to do it. Taking the time needed for me, for the first time. I can honestly say that I always looked at shaving as a hated act, but it needed to be done for social and family reasons. Not as something pleasurable for me.

That's my "hello" and a small snippet of my past experience with shaving.

I really hope this is a turning point. I also don't have children and if I get to love it will be passing it to my brother and nephew.

2. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Welcome from West, another retired truck driver.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums, Tom. Great to have you join us on the Shave Den.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

4. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..

5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you. Glad to have a new recruit to the Dark Side (our term for straight razor shavers). Jump and ask questions, you will find lots of people who want to help. I suffered from carts and electric razors for years, ingrown hairs and irritation. I find straight razors are the kindest to my skin.

Edison Carter likes this.
  6. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Welcome to TSD, Tom.

8. Fiorellini

Fiorellini Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum Tom.

9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

10. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

Welcome tom from Washington State

11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Tom, welcome to The Shave Den! I appreciate you sharing your story. You're in a good place here to learn, master skills, and have fun!

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @Tom H 135

I hope you enjoy it here. I'm retired myself and still get enjoyment from DE shaving.:happy088:

15. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome

16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Dont knock some Chinese Razors. Properly honed, they do a very good job. I have several makes and models, that I have honed, and they will shave as well as many top dollar razors out there.

17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Welcome @TomH135 to TSD, glad you decided to join us.

:eatdrink013:

18. kjbarth

kjbarth Well-Known Member

Welcome from NJ