Hello; and a quick question...

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by JohnTConover, May 3, 2020.

1. JohnTConover

JohnTConover New Member

Hello from NJ, USA.
    This is my first thread here because I've been seeking out an answer to something and these days, it's best to ask people who are knowledgeable rather than wander the internet.
    Maybe I'll post this in another thread where it will better fit on topic.

I'm looking for a 2 or 3 blade cartridge razor that DOESN'T pivot, swivel, bend, flex, move, etc. I just want it to stay still. (non-disposable as well).
    I've been using a Gillette Sensor Excel (2-blades) for years but this was discontinued and blades are getting harder & more expensive to find. So I recently switched to a safety razor which is OK, but I don't really like how wide it is or how it needs to be at a certain angle to cut properly (maybe I'm just not used to it), where as the cartridges automatically hold the blade at the correct angle, and are narrower.
    At this point I'd keep the safety razor before moving to a pivoting cartridge.

Anybody have a product in mind?

Thanks

wristwatchb, MR41, brit and 1 other person like this.
  2. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

Welcome from Washington State

The short to this answer is no just going with the de razor it just takes time to get use to shaving that way

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Welcome! I think there's only one 2 blade non-moving cartridge left, and that's the old Trac II or a modern knock off (which are 90% as good and much cheaper). The Bump Fighter also fits what you want.

MR41 likes this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Welcome @JohnTConover to TSD. My answer is not what your probably looking for, but try a weishi razor. It's inexpensive and it'll introduce you to DE shaving.

I hope you take our advice to just go ahead and try DE for 30 days.

:eatdrink013:

brit likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yeah. Personna makes a blade called the "twin pivot plus." Kind of misleading, since it fits trac ii and atra handles. It's a non-pivoting cartridge, and won't pivot unless you stick it on an atra. Keep them on Trac II handles.

Here's an Amazon link to them, and it comes with a (non-pivoting) razor handle too! There is a huge variety of Trac II compatible handles out there, since just about every clothing designer out there made the darn things.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GS1WO4A/?tag=thshde-20

I prefer the International Silver version myself. It's nicknamed the "paul revere" Trac II. The same handle was also used for the paul revere injector razor. The injector variant is quite a bit rarer and more expensive.

Edit: international silver also had a trac ii that came in a pink case. In most ebay pics, it looks like a very masculine hammered finish. It's actually covered in tiny flowers. ...you've been warned.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    MR41 and gorgo2 like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I got that silver flower handle version several months ago and like it a lot.

Now that you mention it, I think all the generics (Personna, Dorco, whoever) are all designed to fit either T-II and Atra, both of which are very common as after market.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    noticed your post after i edited mine. Lol

8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I really like the old Trac II carts (pre-lube strip) though they are getting harder and more expensive to find. Walked in on my wife shaving pills off her sweaters with one recently, I was not a happy camper.

The even rarer Trac II adjustable cartridges are pretty awesome too.

brit and Enrico like this.
  9. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

:signs046:

I’m not much help on the cartridge, but you’re in the right place.

10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    @Sabre is probably the best source of info on cheap carts or trac ii alternatives. He's possibly the only member on here that almost exclusively uses carts.

11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy102:

brit, steve207 and PLANofMAN like this.
  12. kjbarth

kjbarth Well-Known Member

Welcome from a fellow Garden Stater

13. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..

14. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

John, welcome to The Shave Den!

I shared some thoughts on a couple of Trac II razors in your other thread. I hope it helps. :)

15. Fiorellini

Fiorellini Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  18. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

The PII from India is the latest version of the Trac II. It is widely available online or from India on eBay.
    NOS carts such as Schick Super II/Wilkinson II/WII/Profile Fixed are fixed non pivoting twin blade carts available on eBay too.

19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The Feather MR3 Neo is a pivoting and fixed head cartridge razor. It has a locking mechanism for the head. Only thing is you can only use feather cartridge blades with that razor but that includes their F2, F3 and Samuri edge blades along with the MR3 blades designed for that razor.

https://www.feather.co.jp/en/g_Products/general01.html

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  20. The situational shaver

The situational shaver Well-Known Member

Trust me, ditch the cartridges, get a decent de or se razor.
    You won’t be dissapointed.