Why is my brush shedding so much?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Captain Carl, Mar 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've seen it before. That is an abused brush. You are pressing too hard. There's good news and bad news, my friend.

The bad news is that this will keep happening unless you change your brush loading and lathering habits.

The good news is that there are a few brushes that are really resistant to that and can handle some abusive behavior.

The bad news is that they are pretty expensive.

Shavemac D01 and Simpson's Chubby. (Both in best, not silvertip). Of the two, I would recommend the D01. It's a right bastard to break in and will feel like a fuzzy eraser nub for the first month or so, but it does break in eventually.

Enrico and GatorJoe like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

As much as I like the way Whipped Dog does business, every knot I have bought from them has been a shedder. I have had 4. One replaced boar, with the replacement shedding. A High Mountain, and a Silvertip. Never soaked in hot water, just warm water.
    I have many knots from Omega, and they are not shedders. A couple from Stirling, that dont shed, a few Semogue Horse Hair, and Boar. None of these are shedders, even when soaked in hotter water.
    The worst shedders I have had were the Burma Shave. Great at first, then just fell apart. Tried two of these.

3. DaltonGang

Now, I have a 100+ year old C-MON A-4, boar brush, with an original, well used knot. It looks pretty bad, because of staining, and is floppy, but rarely sheds a hair. What is so hard about using quality glue??? Are manufacturers that concerned about saving a few pennies? That business model makes for getting a bad reputation for putting out crap products.

4. Willk

Willk Active Member

I splay the brush on my face. ie: is use semi-soft Italian soap in jar, and I first swirl the brush with a bit of force to get the soap on/into the brush. Then, I swirl/ splay the brush on my face, again with a little bit of force, to build the lather. I can look into getting a different brush, although it won't match my set anymore, nor will it likely fit the holder. In any case, I can consider looking at the omega boar brushes you mentioned, or something a bit more durable than my Edwin Jagger Best badger brush.

5. Willk

Willk Active Member

How would you load your brush if you use semi-soft Italian soap? How do you lather?

6. DaltonGang

Omega Boars are durable, but stiff. They do soften, over time. Stirling Boars, and Semogue boars are softer from the start. All great brushes. I would give a nod to Stirling, for a balance between cost, durability, and not needing 3-12 months break in period, like Omega.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  7. Willk

Willk Active Member

I'll try a boar brush first, just to see if I like it. I'll keep in mind that it may need a break-in period so I won't expect it to feel soft for a few months. This is an inexpensive one that I'm looking at on ebay here.

Enrico likes this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs021: I have the Omega 40033 and have no complaints.

:eatdrink013:

Latherin’ Luddite likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I load it by going clockwise a few times, counterclockwise a few times, then in a cross pattern, then repeat until the brush is loaded.

I use paintbrush strokes on my face.

10. DaltonGang

I like Boars most. you cannot go wrong with an Omega.

11. atbat82

atbat82 Well-Known Member

I'll second this. I've gone through many brushes including Whipped Dog (it's a good brush, but loses an occasional hair), Simpsons Chubby 2 in Best (sheds worse than a golden retriever), Declaration Grooming (GREAT brush, but very expensive), and many others. My Omega 48, once properly broken in, is easily my favorite! Just know that it can take 30+ shaves to break in. It still works fine in the meantime, it's just not as soft. It also takes up a ton of soap, FYI.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    DaltonGang and Enrico like this.
  12. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

13. GatorJoe

Love your honesty and directness (read bluntness). Gets the point across. I’m going to get a Shavemac D01 soon.

PLANofMAN and Enrico like this.
  14. GatorJoe

Personally, with a soft Italian shave soap I like a a good synthetic shaving brush that splays well like my EJ syn silvertip-type brush. Great results.

15. Willk

Willk Active Member

I've tried the boar brush by Omega for about a week now, and I like it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy088:

17. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

I think it's time to retire my WCS Silvertip brush.
    This much hair came out while drying on a towel. The brush might be 3 years old. It always lost a few hairs while shaving. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Enrico and Primotenore like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Kent, Simpsons, and presumably Vulfix too, use wheat paste glue, and have for decades if not centuries. I actually can't think of a cheaper glue product than that. They don't have issues, aside from a very few outlying cases. Simpson's also, if memory serves, stick the knot into a bed of nails/tacks a few times after it's been dipped in the glue to ensure that the glue gets deep into the knot. I'm not sure if other manufacturers use that procedure or not.

Boar absorbs water. If you don't soak a boar long enough, it absorbs lather. So if you ever wonder why you seem to go through product faster when using a boar brush, that's one possibility. With the Omega 48, stiffness and size are also factors. :)

DaltonGang likes this.
  19. BardicDruid

BardicDruid Active Member

As my dad told me nearly 45 years ago, if you want to keep a brush in good shape, you have to soak it. He said a badger needs at least 3 minutes to become flexible and a boar bristle needs at least 10 minutes. I tend to believe him since his Best Badger lasted from 1959 to 1994.

20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

If you like the handle, re-knot it.

:happy088: