Anyone use canned goo only?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by David W650, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

I haven't read through the comments, but I can't see how anyone using this forum would want to use canned goo, except in emergencies.

Steve56 likes this.
  2. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I rotate weekly between Barbasol, and my small cream, and soap collection.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I've no experience with canned goo, but Barbasol lanolin is an excellent shaving medium. Now days I use VDH and an PAA Atomic Rocket brush 99.381 % of the time.

4. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Like severing a femoral artery and not wanting to look bad for the ER team? :happy069:

5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I have been using Barbasol every day.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

98% same here for past 6-8 months.

:eatdrink013:

MR41 and Edison Carter like this.
  7. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

I use the gels once in a while i like them if you use a brush they really great slickness is good the Cushing not bad for some reason the gel softens my bread up even my chin hair better then the soap or cream don't get me wrong i like my soaps and creams still great stuff but the caned shave gel has made it in my rotation i just shaved with the gel and a brush and my de razor it was great other than a few nicks but great.

8. LaneP

LaneP Well-Known Member

Not exclusively but I do keep a can of Proraso Sandalwood foam in the cabinet for those mornings I need to shave time off my shave (lol) and don't feel like using a brush.

This post inspired me to use it this morning with my Muhle R41 and a Perma-Sharp blade. Great shave. I will say with the addition of a little water it offers plenty of slickness. If I "had" to use this daily, I certainly could.

I grew up in the '60s and distinctly remember my father using a Gillette adjustable (most likely the Slim based on my foggy recollection) and some form of canned foam, which was very common in that era.

[​IMG]

MR41 likes this.
  9. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Do you use a brush with it?
    I've been following this thread on and off for some time and I'm about you give Barbasol a try.

Bama Samurai and Enrico like this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'll be honest ..... I do not use a brush.

All I do is ...... splash warm water on my face apply a ping pong ball size dollop and let it do its work while loading the razor and tempering the razor head (rinse with warm water. I get great shaves and at a $1.50 a large can ...... hard to beat.

:eatdrink013:

DesertTime likes this.
  11. Bama Samurai

No. I wet face with cool water and apply by hand.

DesertTime likes this.
  12. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

It is possible I have become a bit of a snob since I first started using a brush and shaving soap. To be honest, I don't really remember my shaves using canned products, but I didn't think about my shave, back then, the way I think about my shaves now. I was in communication recently, with a gentleman who has extremely sensitive skin and cannot use a brush. He was telling me that although he only uses canned products, he still really enjoys a shave with his safety razors. He seemed to get good slickness and comfort from the product he used. I guess the old adage remains true - it's not what you use but how you use it ;)

13. razorhead63

razorhead63 Member

I use Barbasol alongside my regular brush soaps and creams. It does a decent job. No complaints at all.

14. FurryFan93

FurryFan93 Member

I have used canned goo myself a very long time. Before switching to DE Shaving I would mostly use the Gillette Shaving Gel.. After I switched to DE I mostly been using Barbasol extra moisturizing or even the aloe one.

I did buy Dollar General store brand this time around and I have instant regret for their canned goo, Its like so dry to me to the point i have to add 1-3 drops of water for it to go on my face like the barbasol does..

15. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

I do have some Barbasol on hand as well as Cremo. If I'm in a hurry, I'll usually reach for the Cremo. It's wicked slick. Just put about an almond sized dollop on your face, using your hands to spread it around. Add a little water a few times until it's slick. The only downside is that it doesn't lather and you can't really see where you've shaved. Aside from that, it's great stuff. I normally only apply it once and just splash a little water on my face after each pass. The slickness doesn't diminish...it just keeps going. I can do a three-pass shave in about 3 minutes, and that includes policing my area.

There's nothing wrong with Barbasol either. Despite the low cost, it's better than many give it credit for being. It's been around for a long, long time and millions of people use it daily. Before I got into this this strange hobby of shaving, I used Edge gel and cart razors for many years. That combo worked just fine for me. Aveno is also good goo.

Edison Carter likes this.
  16. Campion

Campion Active Member

I just love traditional shaving- well, traditional shaving with a double edge blade, so I guess it is traditional 20th century shaving. I love big Italian boars, expensive British badgers, and the latest in synthetic brushes. Tallow soaps, vegetal soaps, Italian soft soaps, lather creams in tubes, brushless creams, and, yep... cans of foam. I love it all. Guys have been using canned foam since the late 1940s-early 1950s- that's long enough to make it 'traditional' to me. Sometimes I actually want to use foam. I prefer Noxzema, but I also have Barbasol and even a can of Foamy somewhere here. I get great shaves with virtually every single product I own, including foam. I find foam doesn't really save me much time, so that doesn't enter into my decision- the fact is simply that I enjoy using it. Not every day, but I don't use anything every single day. But when I want to smell that Noxzema scent, or if I'm just in a mood to shave like it's 1963, I take out the can and give it a good shake.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  17. cobb

cobb New Member

I am new here, been shaving with a razor of some sort since the 70's using canned creams. With that said, I have used Barbasol, but only because I can get it in a small can for traveling, but think it is average at best, don't understand all the praise it gets, unless I am using it wrong. I use "goo", currently it is Edge that is labeled as extra moisturizing and after reading these 5 pages will try some Nivea goo.

18. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

The last few months, I use Barbasol most of the time for speed.

19. Bama Samurai

Barbasol or Arko. For months....

20. Bama Samurai

Hi. If you like the results from Edge gel... Then by all means, use it! Results in shaves are rooted in technical mastery of angle and pressure. All the rest is just bells and whistles. I like Barbasol, works for me, and I enjoy the scent. Glad you found us!

steve207 and Edison Carter like this.