What Do You Use For Home Defense??

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I have my father's scoped pre-'64 lever action Winchester model 88 .308. Not ideal for home defence, but a better horse riding and general 'woods' rifle was never made, imo. A "lever operated bolt action," is how I've heard the model 88 described, and that sums it up pretty well. It's a fairly light weight gun too.

If you don't miss, you don't need to carry a lot of ammo, and if you do need to fire a follow up shot, the lever action means you don't need to drop your shooting stance to re-chamber a round. It's an important consideration in states that don't allow semi-auto rifles for hunting.

S Barnhardt likes this.
  2. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

My dad owned rifles starting at an early age, maybe 8 years old (different times). He was a career Marine, qualified Expert for 20 years running, and was a weapons instructor for a time. He always wanted a lever action .308 Winchester. I don't know why he never bought one, he always got a distant look in his eyes when he spoke about it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    PLANofMAN likes this.
  3. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

This is de-fence I use. I keeps out de neighbors[​IMG]

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

4. brit

brit in a box

:D

5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    20200428_160154(1).jpg
    Lighting wasn't the best. Serial number indicates 1960 mfg. date. Has a Lyman All American 4x scope on it. I need to take it out to the range soon.

Edit: The Lyman scope is a steel barrel model, which dates it to about 1960-1962. More than likely, the seals are shot.
    Thinking about swapping out the scope for a Leupold VX-1 scope, which would keep the vintage scope "look," but uses more modern optics. The ability to send it in for servicing is just an added bonus.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    Keithmax, DaltonGang and brit like this.
  6. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

This thread :eek:

Living in a civilised country with no zombie biker gangs or killer wild life, i don't need "home defence".

If there is any trouble i have the missus. She is the only weapon i need :p

Machine guns, repeating shot guns, side arms? :sick007:

Keithmax, PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

:happy097:

Edison Carter, brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  8. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I am thinking about getting one of these. If anyone breaks in my house I want to make an example of them.[​IMG]

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

S Barnhardt and brit like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The main point is....

Be able to hit center mass.

5.56 NATO Green tips on a standard AR 30 round mag.

Women should consider the AR platform. I just taught a lady to handle AR. She only weighs 120 pounds and finds the recoil very manageable.

5.56 is 3200 feet per second at the muzzle... So be aware of target background or use frangible ammo for the sake of your good neighbors.

5.56 (civilian Winchester .223) is not a joke. 7.62 NATO is similar to any big 30 Cal rifle round. It's a bit much for many people in a semiautomatic or auto gun.

The deal is that the Super high speed of the 70 grain round imparts as much kinetic energy inside 450 yards as any 30 Cal. Marksmanship over lead curtain. Guns don't kill people... Buy hydrostatically induced organ failure and massive internal bleeding surely does.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I get, it's a religion thing with some people. Some people have strong feelings about the 1911 too.

I've fired the 7.62×51 out of a Mosin Nagant. I've also put a few thousand rounds of 7.62 NATO out of an M240B. (Long story there).
    .223 and 5.56 are basically the same cartridge. Likewise, 7.62 NATO and .308 are also basically the same cartridge. I agree with you that 7.62 NATO is a bit much for most people.

I can't say that either round, other than bullet diameter, is much like the 7.62x39. Which is the caliber I was actually talking about.

There's a lot of wooded country where I live, and the heavier 'AK' round will go through shrubbery and branches that will deflect the smaller AR round. At the same time, the soviet era cartridge doesn't zip around and punch a bunch of holes in soft, squishy, screaming things because it doesn't over penetrate like the 5.56 green tip ammo. As you mentioned, "5.56 is 3200 feet per second at the muzzle... So be aware of target background or use frangible ammo for the sake of your good neighbors."

Let's assume that a person who carries an AR15 wants a carbine for close quarters or home defense. With a 16" barrel length, exit velocity is 2800 fps. At 2500 fps, the 5.56 bullet will no longer create a lethal wound channel.
    Source: http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/2012/02/08/barrel-length-studies-in-5-56mm-nato-weapons/

Women and even children can be trained on the AR platform. 100% agree. It's a very forgiving rifle, almost infinitely customizable, and with soft nose or frangible ammo is a decent home defense weapon. Heck, chambered in 7.62x39, it's one of my favorite platforms.

Children have in the past carried the AK platform in battle. Children continue to do so.

"The deal is that the Super high speed of the 70 grain round imparts as much kinetic energy inside 450 yards as any 30 Cal. Marksmanship over lead curtain. Guns don't kill people... But hydrostatically induced organ failure and massive internal bleeding surely does."

By 30 Cal., I assume you are talking about the other popular hunting rounds, the .308 and .30-06.

The .308 and .30-06 have the same kinetic energy at 500 yards as the 5.56 does at the muzzle. (Interestingly, the 5.56 has the same kinetic energy at 500 yards as the .45 has at the muzzle, which puts things in perspective. Don't bring a pistol to a rifle fight).

If you were talking about the 7.62x39, the 7.62 still has more kinetic energy than the 5.56 at 450 yards. Not that either round will be remotely close to accurate at that distance. (Edit: Yes, people spend thousands of dollars making both AK and AR's accurate to that distance. Also, some people are naturally extremely good shots. Most rifles and shooters are not that good).

The 5.56 has pros. Flatter trajectory, less recoil and better accuracy than the 7.62x39. I will not argue those points. It still lacks the stopping power of the 7.62. I have my reasons for disliking the 5.56. They might even be the same reasons you prefer the 5.56.

A combat medic wrote an article on the 5.56. Basically said if you get hit by a 5.56 round, you will survive, provided you either get medical help soon and don't get holes punched in vital organs. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Edit: found it.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...oot-what-you-can-hit-then-shoot-it-again/amp/

My takeaway from that article is that if I owned a AR15, I would want to carry the heaviest bullet with the heaviest loading I could for it. The last thing I would want to carry is M855 green tip.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    Bama Samurai and BigMike like this.
  11. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

HOME: 12 Gauge Browning Gold Hunter
    CARRY: Walther PPQ 45 CAL

DaltonGang and PLANofMAN like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I remember a quote by an American general in WWII. It went something like this: "the difference between the German, Japanese and American military forces was that every American soldier imagined himself a hero, and acted accordingly."

Americans have an independent streak a mile wide and to such a degree that it baffles people from other countries. Part of that independent streak is our love affair with guns.

Keithmax likes this.
  13. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

You guys are miles above this old head with your technical discussion. Not knocking you, just commenting.

But there are two weapons I like for home defense, or for pure and simple, regular use.

#1 Mossberg 500, synthetic stock, no plug in the tube with maybe small/birdshot first out of the barrel, as an incentive to desist, followed by OO Buckshot if the recipient hasn't gotten the point with the first round. I speak from experience when I say I "can" cycle that puppy quickly enough to make that work.
    [​IMG]

#2 Taurus Judge in one of it's configurations. Have never owned one, but the concept of .410 and .45 together in one weapon intrigues me. Again, shotshell out first, followed by the .45 if still necessary.

[​IMG]

PLANofMAN, stuartganis and DaltonGang like this.
  14. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

A 12 gauge Remington 870 Express and a Smith and Wesson .357 magnum 686. Pity the burglars.

PLANofMAN and DaltonGang like this.
  15. DaltonGang

Both fine guns. I only had one issue with my 870, in about 19 years of using it for work, daily. It started to develop an issue chambering shells. After a couple of gunsmiths wanted over $100 to diagnose it, and leave it with them for a few weeks, I found the issue myself. It was a $3 dog spring. It was the exact same spring used in the 1100 and the 870 police models, except those were heavier duty. Easy swap.
    The .357 S&W 686 was a great gun. I kind of regret trading it years ago, for a new in the box S&W AR-15.

Carson West likes this.
  16. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

Dalton, I think I have the best revolver in the world, and it's my pride and joy. A friend gave it to me. It's a stainless model with a six inch barrel, a "Classic Hunter." Smith and Wesson made a limited number of them. They were built to be especially accurate, and stronger and heavier so they can handle hot loads without breaking, and to mitigate muzzle-flip. But my friend didn't stop there. He sent it to a gun smith named John French for a trigger job. John was known at the time to be the best smith in the U S to specialize in revolvers. In double action, its pull is six or eight pounds, in single action about two pounds, and smooth as glass. When Smith and Wesson started their Performance Center series, they hired John to run its revolver division, so you could say mine is a "Pre Performance Center" 686.

17. DaltonGang

Very interesting and truthful video.

S Barnhardt likes this.
  18. BardicDruid

BardicDruid Active Member

A Saiga 12 semi-auto shotgun with a 20 round drum.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    @Bama Samurai , while I still disagree with some of your bullet points (see what I did there? :)), after more digging into the 5.56 vs. 7.62 debate, I've come to the conclusion that the 5.56 is a better personal defense round.

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/223-556-vs-762x39/
    This article convinced me. The 7.62 is still better at making big holes in things (it kills people deader), but the combination of longer range, flatter trajectory, accuracy, and low recoil of 5.56 make it a better choice for self defense. The primary goal is not to kill an attacker, but to stop the attack, and I feel the 5.56 is better suited to that role.
    Of course, something like this is a better home defense weapon than any 5.56 or 7.62 platform, though I'd personally be leery of trusting the reliability of a 12 gauge drum magazine. The one and only time I've seen one at the range, the owner had feed issues.

S Barnhardt likes this.
  20. whaap

whaap Active Member

I'm not concerned about home safety that much but do own a Ruger LCP .380. I occasionally will carry, depending I guess on where I'm going, and I like small and concealable.

PLANofMAN likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.