What Do You Use For Home Defense??

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

A 160 grain 30-06 (7.62x63) at 2900 fps is only 10% slower but has more than twice the mass. Similar story for the 308. So, not "any" 30 caliber.
    A 30 Carbine tops out around 110 grain @1900 fps. So, 5.56 vs either the Carbine or the 7.62x39 could be debatable.
    main-qimg-bb7d3aa83afc31780fe3a4abfb835cc2~2.jpeg
    It's telling that virtually all civilian 5.56 rifles are semiauto, while most of the 308 and .30-06 firearms are manual bolt.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    PLANofMAN likes this.
  2. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

As I was always taught, the purpose of using deadly force isn't to kill, nor is it to wound, but the purpose "is" stop the use of deadly force being wielded "against you."
    That being said, to use a cliche, "it is what it is." Whatever it takes to accomplish the objective absent any of this BS malarkey they show on TV where a weapon is shot out of the attacker's hand and/or shooting them in the leg/arm/shoulder/etc. Preferably a well placed "double-tap" center mass. We trained that way and most, if not all, of the instructors I had, would say to you....You will, when the brown stuff hits the rotary oscillator, react the way you trained. Muscle memory!

PLANofMAN and DaltonGang like this.
  3. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

Let's remember guys, we're much more likely to die from a health problem than an assault. So let's stay healthy.

S Barnhardt and DaltonGang like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

That's a fine pistol. Half the time I carry, around town, it is with a compact .380. A Colt Mustang Pocketlite, .380.

whaap likes this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Good stuff. Hit center mass.

Be well.

6. Bama Samurai

Good stuff.

Center mass. Hitting target is key.

I'd encourage people, especially women, to investigate the AR15. It's a serious weapon when wielded by those who train for the undesirable.

Thanks for handling the 240 for us. You're a great American.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here?

The .308 is THE most popular hunting caliber in the U.S., and many states do not allow semi-auto rifles to be used for hunting big game, so it makes sense that most are bolt or lever action.

There are plenty of .308 semi-auto firearms out there.

Likewise, there are plenty of .223 bolt action varmint rifles out there too. They will all fire 5.56 NATO just fine, even if the manufacturer doesn't recommend it.

I'll give you the .30-06. Not much there.

Edit: It's telling that most current production .22LR rifles are semi-auto, and have been for 50 years, in the case of the 10/22 Ruger. (I think it just means that people like to shoot them).

BigMike and DaltonGang like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Yes.

For sure.

Center mass.

I love you, My Brother.

BigMike and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Like I said earlier, long story. I'm no hero. I've never put my life on the line (except as a essential worker during this Covid-19 pandemic).

I was part of a program called (COB) Civilians on the Battlefield. When the U.S. Army does training, they get better results if the OPFOR (opposition force) doesn't have standard military training. (By better results, I mean 85% fewer casualties in the first few months of deployment, compared to units who did not train with a COB group or equivalent). We also acted as the OPFOR for local police and SWAT and for state WMD (weapons of mass destruction) response teams (nuclear, biological, and chemical). I was a member of the 973rd COB.

That isn't to say that we didn't do training. We did. But it was all insurgent and terrorist tactics, ambushes, hit and run raids, house to house searches, checkpoint bombing, suicide vests, IED's, etc. The military provided us with miles gear, weapons, blank ammo, simulated suicide vests, IED's, and RPGs.

We did fire live ammo, but that was only at the range. I was usually on the 240B or the 249, since I was in better shape than some of the other guys, and could hump them around and still keep up with the guys carrying the M4's.

Two of our younger members did eventually join the Army National Guard. One of them, Taylor Marks, was in his first month of deployment when his vehicle was hit with an IED. He was instantly killed.
    5c475a09816c5.image.jpg
    This is a photo that was published in the local paper of the honor guard bringing his body back home. People like Taylor are a "great American," not I. I have no wish to pretend to valor that isn't mine. Which isn't to say that I'm not proud of my family's military service to America.

Members of my family have fought in almost every major war the U.S. has been involved in, starting with the Revolutionary War. The only two my family missed were the war of 1812 and the Spanish American War. Haven't lost any family members yet, though one was wounded in the American Revolutionary War and one was wounded in the American Civil War. We've been very lucky so far. One of my cousins just retired a few years ago after doing two tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan. His brother just got back last week from his first deployment overseas.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  10. S Barnhardt

True!

"But" we don't wait until we get a health problem to think about a doctor, or medicines, or what we should do if it comes. We situate ourselves with a doctor, or we should. We take medicines to combat the issue. We take steps such as vaccines and/or other efforts to prevent or mitigate that health problem. In other words, we practice, and employ, good, well thought out, preventative measures.

"That" is all this is. A discussion about the merits, limitations, and requirements of being as well prepared to protect our family, ourselves, and our property from something that is increasingly likely to occur and stands to have as much of an adverse effect on our health, safety, and well-being "as" a health problem.

Just as a reasonable and prudent person will not neglect to implement proper planning and preparation for a possible health problem, this same reasonable and prudent person should not, and will not, neglect to implement that same level of protection for those and that which surrounds them and makes all that prudent health preparation worth the effort. Just as you do not wait until your health is endangered, should you not wait until you, your family, and that around you are in danger to make plans to defend that.

An oft-repeated concept is to simply "call the police" if/when you are put in a real or perceived dangerous situation. While that is certainly laudable, the reality of this, at least in the US, is there are an estimated 800,000 police officers in the US. The US has an estimated population of 320,000,000 which approximates 1 officer for every 400 inhabitants......"1" So that if/when you have the need, or desire, to call for the police, they will come. Never think, for a minute, they won't. But in reality, remember you are approximately 1 of 400 with the potential to need an officer. Just as you don't wait until you get sick to think about a doctor and other employable health practices, as a prudent person, you should not be waiting until you need the police to plan for what to do when that need arises.,

Remember...You are 1 in 400!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  11. S Barnhardt

Thank you for your service Taylor Marks!
    It "is" appreciated!

salute emoji 2.jpg

J_Man and PLANofMAN like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.