The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

My first foray into straight razors sort of. Sedef shavette.
    sedef.jpg

For $6 shipped it was worth a shot. As seen recommended elsewhere I think I'll just shave my cheeks with this for starters while learning how to hold it and switch hands before going onto other parts of the face or passes.

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Gold Dollar 2017
    15/16th inch
    Full Hollow

This was an interesting design, by Gold Dollar. It has an old W&B Sheffield look to it. It is a larger blade, and a smiling blade. The basic design, in my opinion, is a better start than many others.
    For $24 delivered, it came with a nice looking leather strop, and leather razor sheath. Surprisingly, it seems pretty sturdy.
    Now, onto the blade. It has some normal Chinese issues, like poor honing, and a slight hook, on the heel. These can be easily corrected, with the first honing job I do for it.
    Out of the box, the blade was tree topping, with ease, but i wouldn't shave with it. I did about 30 laps on the CrOx strop, 50 linen, 75 leather. One stroke into tonight's shave told me "Nope"!!

P5131355.JPG

3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Where do you guys buy the time machines? Steve, what a cool find, they look like they are just out of the factory.

4. esvh

esvh Well-Known Member

Puma 67

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Suhrim21, Manumik, Keithmax and 9 others like this.
  5. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

I watched that Wosty auction. I am not in a great position to buy right now but I still love finding nice items and watching them.

Keithmax, speedster, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  6. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

I picked this up last night. Sellers pics seem to be really close to unused. I'm excited to get it in my hands. Price was great as well. Picked it up for 50. These are the sellers pics.

Screenshot_20200516-105744_Chrome_compress28.jpg Screenshot_20200516-105739_Chrome_compress36.jpg Screenshot_20200516-105733_Chrome_compress47.jpg Screenshot_20200516-105727_Chrome_compress40.jpg Screenshot_20200516-105801_Chrome_compress11.jpg Screenshot_20200516-105755_Chrome_compress17.jpg Screenshot_20200516-105749_Chrome_compress20.jpg

Manumik, RezDog, TestDepth and 9 others like this.
  7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Rigarazor 7/8 Bohler steel. Shipments from Latvia have been disrupted like many countries, but Griffith got in 3 and I scooped the 7/8 with pretty streaked horn scales.

6F9AD127-79FE-46C1-981D-834A27B2E57D.jpeg E95DD9C4-1B9E-49C5-BB24-6EE46A9B4A20.jpeg

lloydrm, Suhrim21, Manumik and 10 others like this.
  8. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

That's just flat out beautiful.

Karl G, TestDepth and Steve56 like this.
  9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

He does good work. It’s very well ground and finished.

Karl G, TestDepth and GAW9576 like this.
  10. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

11. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Super sweet! Congrats!

12. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

This thread is always fun... beautiful steel!

This Griffon XX was a pretty easy cleanup and the tang design sucked me in.
    955C52AD-1DE6-4609-9987-99ECC9941BDA.jpeg
    Not sure of the tang material but the design was attractive.
    5ACCC49E-2A53-4365-9EF6-9EA129E5AF22.jpeg And who doesn’t like a Lion/Eagle combo :)
    5AD8634F-2BF3-480B-B98A-0CD6F08692C7.jpeg
    Happy hunting.
    Tom

13. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

They are nice razors Karl. I think you will be pleased.

14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

The gold etching looks in great shape, nice find.

He shoots, he scores. The Riga razors are very well made and some fantastic steel. Contrats.

That is one very cool covered tang!

esvh, Karl G, GAW9576 and 2 others like this.
  15. DaltonGang

Very nice. Those covered tangs usually have the logos and writing worn off the tangs.

Karl G, GAW9576 and TestDepth like this.
  16. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Thought it was a cool addition to the Carbo-Magnetic and the Antelope.

17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Bought this old 6/8 Brookes and Crookes mostly for the ivory scales, which have one crack at the wedge pin on the other side - but I didn’t have much in it for ivory and not much wear. It did have some spots of actual rust, and ‘dirty’ was not the right adjective, ‘filthy’ was more like it. After about an hour of cleaning, polishing, de-rusting, light sanding, fiberglass brushing, and more cleaning, I was satisfied enough to proceed. I don’t like shaving with a dirty razor, old lather between the scales, etc. I have not done a @DaltonGang on it until I see the finished edge and shave with it. It seems to have a little upsweep at the nose which I assumed was wear, but it isn’t, there’s no corresponding wear on the spine at the nose, so it appears to be made that way. This is a good project for a rainy day and a good user-grade Sheffield razor.

0FC85495-9646-4DA0-B7C3-C16E44D4E5CA.jpeg

Suhrim21, speedster, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  18. DaltonGang

Gold Dollar "1996"

I've had decent luck with other Gold Dollar Razors in the past, but I have my doubts about this one. It is one of their newer ones, and seemed pretty sharp, from the get go. I stopped it a little, and it was effortlessly passing the HHT, in both directions. Now, I was also curious about how thin the edge was. So, I took my nail, and carefully ran it along the side of the bevel. Normally, this causes no issues, not in this case. I noticed that the areas I tested out, were now bent, slightly. This tells me the steel used in this razor is of very poor quality, and soft. It will not hold an edge for long. So, lesson learned, on this one. $12 dollar lesson learned.

P5191365.JPG

Suhrim21, esvh, TestDepth and 7 others like this.
  19. DaltonGang

Friedr. Baurmann & Sohne
    "Comfort 100"
    Solingen Germany
    5/8+ inch
    Full Hollow Ground

Nice looking razor, with little wear. The size falls within the parameters of what I like. I've not heard of this maker before.

P5211368.JPG

Suhrim21, Edison Carter, esvh and 6 others like this.
  20. DaltonGang

Geneva Cutlery Co.
    Geneva NY USA
    11/16th inch
    Extra Hollow ground

Love this manufacturer's razors, and love that it has a big natural smile. Almost no wear. I'm thinking that the smiling razors were too tricky to hone, way back then. High hopes for this one.

P5211367.JPG

Suhrim21, Edison Carter, esvh and 6 others like this.