New Gillette Razor is Finally Out.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DaltonGang, May 15, 2020.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

What's old is new again. Except for the head, that's used under so many different names it should be called Generic, not Gillette.

3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Looks very generic. The handle looks similar to the original ones. I dont know what they are made of. I doubt it is plated brass.
    Oh, I heard these are available at some Walgreens.

gorgo2, Enrico and brit like this.
  4. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

It's a nice looking razor I have so many razors now SWMBO would probably Lorena Bobbitt me, if I bought another one like that. :angry019: :shocked003: :rolleyes005: :eatdrink013:

Edison Carter and Enrico like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I happened to receive one of these when I won an auction for a Gillette Tech. It is a very nice razor that will definitely facilitate a great shave. I am planning on giving it as a christmas present to someone. I know there are a lot of "naysayers" out there and I understand their points, but, if this razor can introduce a cart user to a DE razor, I am all for it.

6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I'll stick with what I have. But, it is attractive-looking and the price seems pretty reasonable.

7. fhalden

fhalden Member

This is the Heritage, it was released last Fall. The new razor is called the King C Gillette Safety Razor, and it is only available from Walgreens. The Heritage has an American made handle and a German Head. The KCG is made in China.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Edison Carter likes this.
  8. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Wrong. The head is made in Germany on both the Heritage and the King C. I always find it interesting how people hate on something Gillette that is made in China and go on about how they should make it in the USA but dont seem to have a problem with Gillette blades that are made in Russia.

9. fhalden

fhalden Member

I have no problem with items being made in China. I said it was made in China because that's what it says on the box.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

10. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

The ad I looked at for the King C. said "Made in China", no hate, just fact.

fhalden likes this.
  11. plumberroy

plumberroy New Member

My "hate" for Gillette has nothing to do with being Chinese made . The Gillette traditional looks to be a Merkur 1904 with a less attractive handle. The case is a nice touch . Everyone is saying the King Camp Gillette is a Chinese copy of the Muehle R89 if that is so it is foolish to me to pay Gillette's price when I can buy it from china for $8-$14.
    To be fair I have only bought 1 new razor ever a Merkur 1904 . It looked like a Gillette tech with a cool handle, which it basically is . I have 13 or so vintage razors in working order. That should last my lifetime I would pick up a Gillette tech with a certain date code or Techs in general if found for pocket change at yard sales.

My count 13 or so is based on the fact that just like my knives any time I gather up my razors and count them, a few days later I find another one

12. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

It's because people are being irrational and are misinformed. The razor itself is not made in China, and part of it is made in the U.S. I have also noticed that people prize vintage Gillette razors and love current production Gillette blades, yet eschew Art of Shaving products because Gillette is a big, evil corporation. News flash folks, Gillette was even more dominant back when those vintage razors were made.

Apparently not everyone. In addition to Badgerstate's post, the razor's Amazon page states:

"Where is the razor manufactured?

The blades are manufactured in Russia, the handle is made in the USA and the capguard is made in Germany."

Maybe the case is made in China? "Everyone" says lots of things, and often they are full of it.

13. plumberroy

plumberroy New Member

First the razor you linked to is the heritage which if you read my post, I said looks like a Merkur 1904/traditional with a less attractive handle. Handles are easy to make any machine shop with a cnc lathe can make cheap considering the nice case it is comparable priced to the Merkur. The king C Gillette razor is the one people are saying that is a Muhle r89 clone . I have looked on Amazon and it doesn't say where it's made . Which usually means made in China. I don't have a problem with Gillette being a big "corporation " I have a problem with Gillette getting political.

14. Primotenore

Article Team
    Incorrect.
    Here is a screenshot from Amazon's page. Clear as a bell.
    Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 07.13.49.png
    It may be that the case is produced in China. That information is not stated anywhere on the packaging...yes, I own it and have first-hand knowledge.

15. plumberroy

plumberroy New Member

You are looking at 2 different razors the heritage razor is a German cap local handle it is different than the J
    King C. Gillette razor that razor does not come in a case . Read what I wrote
    Gillette Heritage = German Made
    Gillette King C Gillette = ?????? If it doesn't say where it is made usually means China

16. Primotenore

Article Team
    I see the razor to which you are referring. Completely different product. It does say that the handle is made in China.
    Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 07.46.58.png

Edison Carter and plumberroy like this.
  17. plumberroy

plumberroy New Member

The razor you posted is the heritage. It looks like a Merkur 1904 /traditional with a different handle. A razor I have it is only $5 more than the Merkur. But it comes with a nice case . So price is comparable. The other razor looks like a Haward razor sold for $8-$14 on the China direct website . The Heritage razor is close to the only new razor I have ever bought. I don't see it being out of line with comparable razors the other razor is 3 times more than I can get something similar. If I am going to buy a Chinese razor I might as well buy it from China at 1/3 the cost . My problem with Gillette is that companies need to stay out of politics on either side.

18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Let see , distribution US only but instructions in German...it's a clue kids.[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Yep. Nothing screams Heritage like a company known for manufacturing and designing it's razors selling razors that is not their design or manufactured by them and calling it their own.

Edison Carter, brit and jmudrick like this.
  20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The only nice thing I can say is that if enough retailers do stock this maybe we'll get better DE blades stocked locally now besides the Van Der Hagen attrocities or the low end made in Vietnam Dorco rebrands at the Dollar stores. This razor maybe a textbook example of corporate clueness but the Gillette blades especially the Russian made ones assuming they are like the GSB (Gillette Silver Blue) blades should be good.

Edison Carter and brit like this.