May 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 30, 2020.

?

What will you be "mixing up" in May?

1. Razors I rarely/never use

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Blades I rarely/never use

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Soaps I rarely/never use

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Brushes I rarely/never use

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. A combination of everything just thrown together like a salad!

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Who said you could suggest a salad?! We eat cookies here!!!

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Gonna PIF some stuff and try to win some PIF'd stuff to replace it!

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. I miss Chris's intros with only two questions. This is just ridiculous!! Sheesh!

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

That is awesome, Evan!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Trigger, jgreenepa, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

cool brush Jim..

Trigger, jgreenepa, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

cool shave and pic Evan..

4. brit

brit in a box

thank you Jim..:)

Trigger, jgreenepa and clint64 like this.
  5. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

6. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Beautifully sunny setup and photo, Gary--love that Monobloc! :D

7. timabababaluka

Very nice!

8. brit

brit in a box

thank you Tim,it's a fine shaver.french version of the rocket hd..

9. timabababaluka

That's great news, actually--next month I'll be placing an order with RR and that preshave soap is going to be a part of it! :D

Trigger, jgreenepa, jluc and 3 others like this.
  10. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

In the two days I have waiting for tools I want to catch up. Any MAYhem fun I should search for? I noticed Patrick @9nien9 dropped off the map. I was really hoping to see someone shaving with a piece of broken glass or something.

I'd settle for Jason's @jtspartan butterknife shaving report.

11. timabababaluka

Fantastic set up and report, Evan. That razor is just too awesome--again can't tell you how impressed I am that you cranked out a razor capable of BBS shaves on your first try! :D

12. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

So cool Evan!

jgreenepa, clint64, jluc and 3 others like this.
  13. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

0715944A-CEC8-4ECC-B00B-C025A6360E39.jpeg
    7E9AA0E4-E509-49E8-B105-FF46D9A68FEC.jpeg
    AF25849E-3C34-4DF8-AC0A-0D2D088A2EEF.jpeg
    SOTD SATURDAY, May 16, 2020

Last night after a Zoom meeting with some TSD friends, I spent some time trying to organize my razors. In the process I rediscovered one of the two Cooper razors I own, a Cooper Monobilt and a Cooper Kant Rust. Both razors are great shavers, but I haven’t shaved with the Kant Rust in several months. The Kant Rust is a nickel plated moderately aggressive razor that sports a really cool Art Deco inspired handle design. It was manufactured in the very early thirties (1930-32 according to Worthpoint) in Brooklyn, NY and is a relatively rare razor. What I like about it is that it not only looks good, but it shaves great!

SWMBO left for the morning, so I grabbed my Fine Accoutrements Platinum AS and the Gillette Pure shave cream along with my MrEE Knurled Aluminum handled hybrid knot brush and proceeded to knock out a very pleasant shave. Since the razor is light, I loaded a Feather blade, rinsed my face with iced water, and had at it. The Gillette Pure generated a lovely, thick, yogurty lather that when enhanced with 6 drops of M-Bomb felt great on both mug and noggin. Three very slow comfortable passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) put the baby to bed leaving me with that delightful velveteen BBS scalp and mug. I feel clean, cool, smooth and refreshed!

RAZOR: Cooper Kant Rust
    BLADE: Feather
    PREP: Iced water rinse
    BRUSH: MrEE Knurled Aluminum Hybrid Knot #007
    CREAM: Gillette Pure
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Fine Accoutrements Platinum. Finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum.

14. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, Tim!
    Wonderful shave and cool razor, Jeff!

15. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave and pic Jeff,cool razor..

Trigger, timabababaluka, jluc and 2 others like this.
  16. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

C19E0476-92AF-45BB-83A4-769C11C545DF.jpeg 6F34C201-EBAF-4F26-8850-9BA02B99DE71.jpeg
    Reduction Weekend #6
    Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Genco-Old Dutch 3/4”
    Brush: Jack Skully
    Lather: Stache Soap Works E Barber
    Aftershave: Aqua Velva Musk
    Additional Care:
    Barbero Alum Block
    Thayer's Witch Hazel - Aloe Vera
    Stirling Unscented Glacial Balm

Used the same lineup for both days as a means to begin reducing my soap collection. This does not mean that if something really catches my eye that I won’t pick it up. If there is a sample available I might go in that direction.
    I love my Genco razor. It is a solid performing razor. The Jack Skully brush, a synthetic, easily whipped up a nice lather. The lather provided a nice cushion for the razor to do it’s job.

AV Musk and the balm finished off this shave nice. A beautiful day for outside yard activities. Enjoy gentlemen.

17. brit

brit in a box

fine shave and pic Joe,have a great weekend..

18. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Beautiful razor Keith.

19. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Thanks, Gary ! Good afternoon!

Trigger, jluc, clint64 and 1 other person like this.
  20. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

Thanks Jim!

Thanks Joseph

You're a great cheer captain, Tim! :) Thanks!

While it has a number of cosmetic issues, it's a functional razor. :) I'm more surprised about that than anyone.
    14"x24" seems huge! Do you have the horsepower to turn something that large? Having just asked that question I realize it's 14" diameter OR 24" length but not both at the same time. :)

Never having to buy toothpicks again,... Priceless!

Thanks Joe!

Thanks Bill!

Thanks Jason! :) I was up until 2 AM honing. Then I was up at 7 AM shaving with it. I also have several bald spots on my stomach, my left arm, and most of my left thigh... I had my doubts and kept testing it to make sure it was actually working. It's not pretty, but it is functional.
    :) Thanks, Keith! The goal for this attempt was a functional razor. Now to make one that looks awesome!

Thanks Gary!
    I have been hobby machining for 4 years and honing for about a year. This really is just the combination of the two hobbies. However, it's rare for my first attempt to produce anything useful. In general, too much initial success leads to unrealistic expectations on the next project. This leads to complete failure, tool buying, tool breaking, more tool buying, repeating this loop a few times before finally pausing to think it through and setting more reasonable goals, and then having some degree of success. Making a usable razor on my first attempt just cost me a few thousand dollars I'm sure. I'll have a complete custom razor shop in my garage by the year's end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.