May 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 30, 2020.

?

What will you be "mixing up" in May?

1. Razors I rarely/never use

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Blades I rarely/never use

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Soaps I rarely/never use

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Brushes I rarely/never use

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. A combination of everything just thrown together like a salad!

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Who said you could suggest a salad?! We eat cookies here!!!

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Gonna PIF some stuff and try to win some PIF'd stuff to replace it!

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. I miss Chris's intros with only two questions. This is just ridiculous!! Sheesh!

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

That's a real compliment. Thanks Joseph!

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  2. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Razor isn’t here yet. When it gets here, I’ll use it. You can engrave my tombstone with your CNC...

clint64, jgreenepa, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  3. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Don’t really have the guts in the motor to turn that big of a blank. Just meant the maximum diameter is about 14” and I can get about a 2’ long spindle between the centres. Fish bonker yes, baseball bat no.

clint64, jgreenepa, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  4. MrEE

Yep, same with mine. My first lathe was a 7x14. I ordered it and a 3x12 piece of aluminum on the same day. I stripped the gears within 15 minutes... I called the dealer and told them what happened. They sent me replacement gears but said I would have install them myself. I felt like that was generous considering. The tech support guy said I set a new record for breaking my brand new lathe.

clint64, jgreenepa, jtspartan and 5 others like this.
  5. MrEE

Sure thing Jason! My envelope is 6"x18" so we'd better keep it short:

Here lies:
    Jason T Spartan
    Born: 1969 Died: 2020
    Killed by a Canadian butter knife
    after a triple dog dare​

twhite, clint64, jgreenepa and 6 others like this.
  6. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Thanks, Joe! I wound up buying the EDT for my boys to share--great stuff :D

7. timabababaluka

Thanks, Joe--its been a fun journey that has spilled over into my DE shaves as well. And a little sage advice over the last few months has helped quite a bit as well ;)

clint64, Trigger, jgreenepa and 3 others like this.
  8. timabababaluka

Thank you, Joseph! :D

clint64, Trigger, jgreenepa and 2 others like this.
  9. timabababaluka

Fantastic report and kit, Neal--I always like to see 30DC meet up gear making the rounds. It's a nice reminder of the many talented and knowledgeable folks here :D

clint64, Trigger, jgreenepa and 3 others like this.
  10. timabababaluka

Beautiful 77, Venkat--impressive line up! :D

11. timabababaluka

:happy102:

12. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Evan here is a video you may enjoy. It shows modern Henckels forged knives robotically made. I found it interesting that they are stamped out of coiled stock and only 'single drop' mold forged to shape a bolster.

Amazing repeatability.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BMAB6BAgCEAE&usg=AOvVaw3KRHZMS-xTpjR64rXuj3Ov

13. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

:rofl:

14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Sunday shave: The last honing touch up session I did included 5 razors, this is the last one to be tested. A huge 9/8 Mike Martinez Karasu, half hollow with a big smile. This razor had a ultra smooth and sharp edge that it held for a long time, so I was worried would my visit to the stones restore it's glorious edge.

The edge was back to it's fantastic state, I could barely feel, but it makes a noise unlike my other razors. My other razors sound like velcro being pulled apart when I shave, the only differences are the pitch and loudness. This razor makes a high pitched pinging noise, very cool.

The shave was most enjoyable, AoS creams always deliver for me and this Kent brush is a perfect match for cream.

ID - 1 (2).jpeg

Venkat, b1hart, brit and 10 others like this.
  15. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Joe

brit, clint64, Trigger and 2 others like this.
  16. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Neil -Beautiful shave. That brush looks amazing. Since I am relatively new to the group may I ask who was the artisan that made it?

brit, NCoxSTL, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  17. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Wonderful shave!

Venkat, brit, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  18. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Excellent looking shave. Beautiful razor.

brit, clint64, Trigger and 3 others like this.
  19. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

6A8AA552-7B12-436C-B99E-3D153DF30504.jpeg 078FC11F-B881-4B73-8216-A94EEDF8C40E.jpeg DF16D512-2639-478A-A138-DBBEF424D4A7.jpeg
    SOTD SUNDAY, MAY 17, 2020

Welcome to Single Edge Sunday! I was fortunate to acquire this Eveready Stropping Outfit about 9 months ago. The kit dates to the early 50s. It contains both a leather strop, a stropping tool, and a ‘Jewel’ Streamline razor. The Eveready ‘Jewel’ Razor is in like new condition. It’s not a particularly rare razor, but is an exemplary shaver. The shave is comparable to a Gem ClogPruf. I like the shorter handle on the ‘Jewel’. This is a great head shaver. For today’s shave I selected my MrEE Knurled Aluminum Handled Brush, rapidly becoming one of my favorites, a prodigious lather maker with great backbone. Proraso Green enhanced with 3 drops of M-Bomb lathered up beautifully with it.

I enjoy shaving with Gem blades, but really like the PTFE coated Pella Gem blades. I have more than enough to last until they throw dirt on my coffin. Don of Technichi Shave introduced me to them. They tend to last for 4-6 shaves For me, keeping in mind that I face and head shave daily. Today’s shave went well. I began with an iced water rinse prior to lathering up both mug and noggin. Pass #1(WTG) went well, although not as close as I get with a Feather Super in my AC razors. Whisker reduction continued with pass #2 (XTG), leaving me with only some selective buffing around my usual problem areas for pass #3 (ATG). The Alum check left me with some residual heat around my Adam’s Apple, but otherwise, another delightful BBS. I feel clean, velveteen smooth, cool and refreshed.

RAZOR: Eveready Jewel Streamline
    BLADE: Pella PTFE Gem
    BRUSH: MrEE Knurled Aluminum Handle w/ Hybrid Knot
    PREP: Iced water rinse
    CREAM: Proraso Green enhanced w/ 3 drops of M-Bomb
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Fine Accoutrements Platinum AS Splash. Finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Excellent shave and report, Jeff!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

brit, timabababaluka, clint64 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.