May 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 30, 2020.

?

What will you be "mixing up" in May?

1. Razors I rarely/never use

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Blades I rarely/never use

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Soaps I rarely/never use

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Brushes I rarely/never use

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. A combination of everything just thrown together like a salad!

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Who said you could suggest a salad?! We eat cookies here!!!

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Gonna PIF some stuff and try to win some PIF'd stuff to replace it!

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. I miss Chris's intros with only two questions. This is just ridiculous!! Sheesh!

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm not Bill.

brit, jgreenepa, MrEE and 2 others like this.
  2. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Sorry about the cuts Paul. It may be that you used a little too much pressure, the blades were not sharp or the beard prep was not up to snuff.

brit, jgreenepa, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  3. Trigger

You are right Paul! I am still half asleep. I am thinking of Mr. Carter and his voice that I heard on the conference.

4. Paul Turner

I think it was too much pressure. Since I do the 2 passes, I always pull out a fresh disposeABLE for each soap shave. The prep part is a possibility. In tomorrow's shower, I'll make sure the Stoylin gets to those vulnerable areas.

5. Paul Turner

Man, I would like to have heard the voice of Mr. Cawtuh..... hopefully someday.

6. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Awesome report and gear, Jeff! Ever Ready made some fantastic shavers. :D

I'm wondering if the stropping tool is effective in restoring modern blades?I'm that guy who would try to push a blade's life to half a month or so--I probably would have stuck with the GEM platform if I could have.

7. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Absolutely beautiful shave. Look the EverReady razor.

Trigger, jgreenepa, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  8. timabababaluka

Fantastic gear, and wonderful software line up--sounds like an amazing shave :D

9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    May-hem 2020
    [​IMG]
    Klar Kabinett~~Simpson CH2 Synthetic~~Feather AC/Feather~~DRH Pink
    This past week, I have been enjoying using Tom's latest creation. I have extolled it's virtues

and made comparisons to the shavette. With that in mind, I chose to move to a shavette
    in order to more thoroughly support OR refute it.
    Here we go...
    Lather choice was inspired by @AlfredoT Klar Kabinett.
    Hands down, my favorite rose-scented soap and one of the few soaps, imo, that
    have deservedly earned unicorn-status.
    Take a gander at this fantastic, shiny lather:
    [​IMG]
    There aren't many non-tallow soaps in my den, because, frankly, I prefer a tallow-based soap,
    but KK remains and considering I have a backup stash of almost 1000g, I should be covered for a while.

Inserted a new Feather Professional Super blade into my AC razor and was off.
    Right away, I had a sense of a better blade angle. The Feather sheared off all stubble effortlessly.
    One stupid set-down on my lower neck was the only mishap of the shave.
    Three passes today left me quite smooth.
    Post-shave, sadly, is not Kalr Kabinett's forté, but a splash of DRH Pink solved that issue.
    In conclusion, I found that there is a reason that DE razors angle the blade.
    To facilitate achieving a good slicing angle. The DE-Vette has the blade exposed at a perfect,
    parallel to the baseplate and top cap. If, however, the blade was curved, as in a typical DE razor,
    I believe that the perfect shaving angle would be a cinch to find.
    I still am convinced that a safety bar is completely unnecessary.
    That's my story and I am sticking to it.

10. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

May 17th
    MAYhem

Blade: 12 inch Schrade Old Timer
    Brush: MrEE Aluminum #1
    PS: Proraso Red
    SS: MLS Colonia Di Agrumi
    AS: Alum, Proraso White, Afta, Aloe, and Ibuprofen.

I'm sure shaving with a hunting knife has been done but call me a sheep or a lamb to the slaughter, but I had to.

I generally sharpen my knives to the point where they will scrape the hair off my arm. That's what I thought razor sharp was a couple years ago. So I started there and did 30 strokes on chromium oxide and 30 strokes on a .5 micron diamond strop. It's sharp for a hunting knife, but not really shave ready. Don't worry, I made up for lack of sharpness with pressure just the way you're suppose to.

I would say 2.5 passed, but some areas could only be shaved safely in one direction, but I did go over them multiple times. I'm calling this CCS with a fare amount of irritation, but no nicks or cuts.

PSX_20200517_073838.jpg

I couldn't rinse in my sink easily, so I wiped the knife on a towel between strokes. The towel is covered in stubble so it was shaving. I also lost my left sideburn during my first XTG pass from ear to nose. I almost posted a picture of that towel, but it seems a little gross like posting a picture of a used tissue.

I hate to admit it, but I shaved with straight razors that were not any sharper than this knife for weeks before I got the proper tools and learned what I was doing. This time last year I would have said this was a good shave.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  11. Primotenore

Article Team
    :happy088: Imagine wiping off the lather, rather than shaving off the stubble. Stubble-reduction, not stubble removal.

12. Primotenore

Article Team
    Better than losing your left ear! You have some stones, my friend.

13. timabababaluka

Great report, Paul! Sorry to hear the trouble spots are still trouble.

If you opt for sweeping motions ATG on the trouble spots, I'd keep a very light touch on the razor--ATG is always where I run into issues, and unless I've done a thorough job reducing my beard to that point, sweeping ATG strokes (for me) are often bloody ones ;)

14. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Thanks, Joe! I don’t use it as much as I would like.

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Wonderful shave recap and photo Joseph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. jgreenepa

timabababaluka, Trigger and clint64 like this.
  17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Just freaking wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Wow...
    Now that's Mayhem!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

clint64, timabababaluka, MrEE and 2 others like this.
  19. Trigger

May 17 SOTD
    Good morning fellas!
    It's Sandalwood and Shavette Sunday!

Shavette Shave #158
    Parker SRB
    Rockwell 1/2 Blade (1)
    Stirling Boar Brush
    Stirling Sandalwood SS and AS
    Modessa WitchHazel
    Nivea ASB

Used the wet method to facelather and I have to say it is a quick lather method. I use the brush to wet my face so it replaced the squeeze the brush to remove excess water, however, the brush still has more than enough water to load the soap without it being pasty. The Sandalwood is a real nice, clean mild scent. Although it is a "cold season" soap, I don't get locked into conventional fragrance rules. The Parker SRB is a very easy razor to use compared to the Dovo shavette. I really don't have to concentrate as much with the Parker. On a 40 + hr lawn, two and a half passes and minor touchups gave me a BBS without any blood trails or irritation. I decided to use the WitchHazel because I haven't done so in awhile and it couldn't hurt the shave to do so. Splashed on the matching aftershave that really brings out the Sandalwood scent more than the soap. Finished the shave with the Nivea balm and I am good to go. The skin on my face really looks good. Using my old rating system, I would say the shave would be a 99 = A+. Have an awesome Sunday guys! 20200517_091956.jpg 20200517_091956.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  20. jgreenepa

Tim, I’ve never used the stropper, so I don’t know. I do know that some of my FB razor buds do strop their Gems, and claim to do so successfully. This stropper did come out during the SS blade era.

Edison Carter, clint64, jluc and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.