Honing - Reading the Temper

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by gssixgun, Jan 22, 2020.

1. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

Welsh hones... Maybe I'll try that next time I hone any.

DaltonGang likes this.
  2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I’m a little surprised that anyone ever believed Chinese razors were consistent in any attribute. I buy them in multiples, usually 5 or more at a time, see how they hone, then high grade them for my test razors. Given the issues with some Dovo, Timor, etc it’s difficult to criticize a $5 Chinese razor for having some of the same issues. Almost any other razor is more fun to shave with though. If you have a decent sample, the biggest and most surprising difference is fitting better scales to it, but you have to have appropriate donors available, you can’t very well put even $30 scales on a $5 razor.

3. SevenEighth

I was fully aware of the inconsistencies. I think I was just complacent and not reading the steel. This was a good wake-up call for me.

4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Any further info on #3 Glen, Gold Dollars excepted, we all know that they have issues.

Edison Carter likes this.
  5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

My apologies sir, my comment was not directed at any person, just general musing.

Your point is well taken, I think it was Glen that said something like ‘Honing is easy, until it isn’t.’ Like the first time that I saw the chipping on the super hard Kikuboshi, you’re at the ‘what do I do now’ point.

6. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Interesting..... Maybe a similar occurrence

The highly inexperienced Harry Home Honer here.

I have a ZY I acquired for my education. It looked good at first, but revealed a warp where the toe is kicked out. I believe I got a bevel set because I shaved with it. It did look uneven and crummy where the warp is. It was a rough feeling shave, but it did shave.

As I played around with my stuff, I began to develop a like of the TPT. I have not been successful with other methods.

In my inexperience, I figured I'd use a coticule bout to slurry a black ark. I can't remember if I went to water only or not, but my TPT told me it was the sharpest edge I'd ever done. Magnifying showed what looked like a glimmering halo off the edge. Not really knowing what a 'foil edge' was, I thought that might be one. I have a progression of balsa strops that I went to. I did like how it shaved much better.

Any opinions on this are welcome.

I have repeated this on 2 trys. I gotta do it some more.

I should also shave with this piece more for my educational benefit.

Keithmax likes this.
  7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    You know I am hesitant to name issues with Brands because very rarely that can't be worked through it just takes a few tricks many of which we have all mentioned here ..

Being more aware of the issues besides simple Geometry/Warps etc; which we all have dealt with, helps with the frustration..

I think I was a little pissed about the Dovo issues because two different vendors attacked me personally for bringing up their shortcomings at all, I wasn't really pissed at Dovo I was just trying to help people get past the Frowns. But people have seen my posts about them

Dovo does great work and thankfully we have kept them in business with the SR resurgence, but the whole "Shave Ready " thing is a turn off to so many Newbs and I don't know any serious honer that thinks their approach works :)

TI managed to pull their honing into a step above following many complaints over the years, granted none of them can't be improved upon with some attention on the hones and strops "D

Just rambling on a Sunday night feeling full on some good Gumbo

8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I know the feeling @gssixgun I have been attacked by I assume one of those dealers for mentioning the same. That overground Dovo I posted on SRP a few days ago was from him, he doesn’t like that discussed of course. If I could make sure that it wasn’t a dog, I’d love to have another. Or two. But several makers are using that blank, so I can get pretty much the same razor from Aust, Revisor, Wacker, Boker, etc.

Jim99, Edison Carter and speedster like this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Same issues from those makers, like Dovo?? Or, are their quality control and grinding techniques better?

10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Hey Scott,

I’ve seen forum chat that says Revisor occasionally has some issues, and I’ve seen one mention of an Aust overground in the middle (I think). Boker and Wacker seems to be better thought of but they tend to be a little more expensive too. All this is based on what I’m reading on the forums, I haven’t tried that blank in the other brands - but would like to, and I may!

DaltonGang likes this.
  11. DaltonGang

Thanks Steve.

Steve56 likes this.
  12. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    @DaltonGang

Also keep in mind MOST of the true issues are about the Entry level blades

Now the honing issues are across the full line, but Bad honing is much easier to correct then any of the other problems

I have said it many times in the past, in fact that was what Jarrod started his fight with me about

All you have to do is watch THEIR vids you can see how they Sharpen the razors, Dovo has a vid, TI and Revisor had them also, You can see that all three used the same system of honing
    Platen to One stone.
    Anyone that can read a bevel under magnification or has honed a few razors knows what you have there, a "Hit or Miss" a few razors will get to the full bevel and shave but most will need help to get there.
    Don't tell me not to believe what I can see for myself

We all understand that it might not be feasible to hone them all to shave ready, but damn it, quit saying it then "Shave Ready" should mean something

Rant Over :angry019:

13. SevenEighth

Good suggestion. I just honed up 3 - 2 new ZY razors and one of the problem ones. Bevel set on a washita (I know, I know... just sometimes you have to do things like that), the dragon's tongue, Purple Hone, and back onto a trans ark - all with oil. I watched the edge all the way through, and no fin developed. Easy peasy. Just shaved with the problem child and... extremely nice close shave. I still think there is a temper problem with it. Post shave stropping felt like it was already dulling.

14. DaltonGang

If the temper is in question, you can always send it out, and see what someone else thinks about it, with your best boning done on it. Sometimes it takes an objective third party's opinion.