Has anyone use a vibrator/tumbler to clean?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by cobb, May 18, 2020.

1. cobb

cobb New Member

I shot pistol competition for years in my younger days and locally did very well. So I handloaded alot, every reloading session was a 1000 minimum, usually 5000 to get me by for the summer. I have all the reloading stuff, including 2 vibrating cleaners that I run walnut shells to clean brass. So has anyone used a vibrating type unit to polish up some discolored nickel on a Gillette shaver?

Enrico likes this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Are we talking about a ultrasonic type cleaner for jewelry, or more like a rock polishing tumbler type machine?

I've used the ultrasonic types before. They are good for loosening up stuck adjustable and tto mechanisms in razors, but don't do much for polishing, at least with the Dawn + water mix I usually use.

I've yet to find anything better than scrubbing bubbles for basic razor cleaning.

3. cobb

cobb New Member

Neither, they call it a tumbler, but it is actually a vibrating bowl. You can see the blue one in the background of this video by Razor Emporium,

same exact thing I use to clean gun brass and you can use corn cob media or ground walnut shells.

PLANofMAN and Enrico like this.
  4. cobb

cobb New Member

OK, got my 1957 Speed Safe apart, had to make a special tool to do so, but worked great. Going to tumble/vibrate in walnut media for a short time, then polish, clean and lube to assemble.

PLANofMAN and Enrico like this.
  5. plumberroy

plumberroy New Member

I hadn't thought of it until you mentioned it . I took the bottom plate from a WWII issue tech razor up and threw it in with my 10mm brass and run it for a while . I am 95%sure this razor is military contract . Stamped steel base plate that doesn't look like it was plated . Zamak top cap and bakelite handle. Thanks for the idea

6. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Brass tumblers are like rock polishing tumblers, not ultrasonic jewlery cleaners. There is the vibrating type that is donut or bowl shaped, and sits atop a vibrating base. The other type is a rotating drum. The razor would tumble around in the drum type, so not sure how well that would work. The vibrating type might work really well, though. Crushed walnut shells are used as the polishing media for brass shell casings. It works really well, and gets the brass nice and shiny.

@plumberroy, how did tumbling the razor turn out? An interesting idea and potentially very useful.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  7. plumberroy

plumberroy New Member

I run it a couple hours it took most of the small rust spots off. This razor base plate looks like it was never plated . I am positive this particular tech razor is WWII issue. I have it cleaned up and even used it once. Cool old piece of history

Shaver X likes this.
  8. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Seems like the guys over at Delta Echo that used to do cerakote on razor always used a case tumbler to strip off any old finish or corrosion before they did the coating.