May 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 30, 2020.

?

What will you be "mixing up" in May?

1. Razors I rarely/never use

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Blades I rarely/never use

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Soaps I rarely/never use

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Brushes I rarely/never use

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. A combination of everything just thrown together like a salad!

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Who said you could suggest a salad?! We eat cookies here!!!

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Gonna PIF some stuff and try to win some PIF'd stuff to replace it!

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. I miss Chris's intros with only two questions. This is just ridiculous!! Sheesh!

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Cool picture and great looking shave Jason.

2. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Awesome! You and Patrick be crazy :happy102:

Minor blood with an unbacked, exposed GEM blade is pretty impressive. It's kind of surprising how much flex a GEM has got in it!

3. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Thank you, Gentlemen. Not as crazy or courageous as others in the past. No blade taped to my finger or freehanding a Feather (wasn’t one of those you, @Norcalnewb?). @NCoxSTL did ask us to tone it down this year, though.

4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The Merry Mixed Up Month of May!

May 21

Razor - Soviet Mladast
    Blade - treet-platinum.jpg
    Soap - Russian Apple Blossom
    Brush - @Jayaruh #46
    Post - Alum

Welcome back my friends to the shaves that never end, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside.

Ok, now that I have that out of my system, let's play with another Russian razor, shall we? Tonight is the Mladost. I believe I found this one on eBay and couldn't pass it up. You'll notice that the ring around the top of the handle makes this look like another adjustable. It is not. It's a fixed DE razor with a TTO mechanism that works mostly like it should. The quality of the finish on this razor is somewhere south of both the Consul and Ideal, but definitely a step above a lot of other razors from the motherland. It has a bit of a wobbly and cheap feel to it even though it's heavy and pretty solid. I know. Confusing, right? Anyway, I've had pretty good luck with this razor when I've used it, even though it tends to get a bit harsh at times.

For the blade, I chose the Treet Platinum. From Pakistan, Treet is mostly known for its carbon blades that are still produced and still some of the best. The Platinum is a stainless blade that, to be honest, is very good. If I ever decided to abandon Russian steel (yeah, right :happy102:) Treets might be one of my most use blades. Carbon or the Platinum.

Since we're in the middle of Russian razors it's time to pull out the Apple Blossom shave cream from Russia again. A gift from @Keithmax Keith who, while living abroad, is certainly not Russian. However, he sent me the cream to try and I rather like it. The JR46 made the lather very easily in the mug and I just enhanced with a short face lather afterwards.

The shave itself was rather nice, albeit a bit rough in spots due to holding the angle. The feel of the Mladost tends to make things feel "off" a bit but once I dialed it in for the second and third passes I did well. A bit of heat in the alum for that effort, but otherwise no blood or other worries. All in all not a bad way to get a very nice DFS.

We're back to the end of the week already! Friday is around the corner so let's make it a great one and go into the weekend strong!!

May 22 2020.jpg

5. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Wow! That blows me away Jason! I knew you could handle that baby. I'm working on another design involving butterknife handles in which the blade can be changed out. The solder idea was a good idea but I learned a little tweaking may be in order for shipping purposes.
    Thank you for giving my 'razor ' a chance and for the wonderful description. Hope you are enjoying your shaves with it. That took some real guts to use it and I'm honored you did Sir! Welcome to the Crazy Canuck Shaving Club.

6. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Thanks Tim! I needed the sun badly.

7. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Thanks Clint! Was a long winter for me this year.

8. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Thanks for the super kind words gentlemen!

Following along, tough to respond individually. Lots of great images and awesome shaves. Neat hardware and software. A Schick getting a tune up, and more....

Couple new 30DCr’s. Welcome!

And, add another ‘newbie’ Mayhem shave. Great jobs all!

9. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

Just an update. It has been 24 hours now since I decanted my modern old spice aftershave into my vintage old spice aftershave glass bottle. so far I do notice a slight difference is the fragrance, now that it is in the glass bottle. I was never a big fan of the modern old spice after shave, but I have to say I like it now, now that it is in glass. It smells nothing like the shulton version, but it is still good. Before, back when I had it in the plastic bottle, the fragrance was more floral smelling, now it is less floral and more citrus-ie. That nice, warm, earthy blood orange note is more noticeable now IMHO. I have all ways considered "shulton" old spice, a winter fragrance. But I think this modern old spice makes a good spring, summer fragrance. So, would I recommend decanting your plastic bottle of modern old spice into a glass bottle? so far yes!

10. brit

brit in a box

fine shave and pic Neal.happy friday..

11. myles wilson

Very Nice!

12. Venkat

Venkat Well-Known Member

Today's shave: 05/21/2020
    Razor: THE CHRISTOPHER BRADLEY RAZOR BRASS C Plate
    Brush: No name (awesome) Badger
    Blade: Kai Stainless Steel(3)
    Soap: Arko
    AS: Alum rub & Tabac AS

Rating: 9.5
    Comments: Excellent shave! Great razor!

THE CHRISTOPHER BRADLEY RAZOR BRASS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. myles wilson

beautiful Brush!

14. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

As seen below, it is possible get over 100 shaves without a rehone given the right situation.

Steve should be getting tired of this razor by now and send it to me.
    :yoda Jedi mind trick in play.

jtspartan, jgreenepa, brit and 5 others like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

[​IMG]

17. Pancake

Pancake Member

Man, I am waiting for mine Christopher Bradley razor to show up....it´s been a quite a time that I made an order, I guess I have to be patient. When it comes, I will take it for a spin for 30 days.

jtspartan, jgreenepa, brit and 7 others like this.
  18. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Bill, I am talking about a newbie (Tim) getting 100 straight razor shaves without honing and honestly that would be impossible.

19. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Custom razors take some time before you get it. I just ordered a Max Sprecher last week and I don't expect it until late fall.

20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    These companies want the sales, Paul. I wouldn't chalk it up to them being particularly friendly. ;)

jgreenepa, Trigger, brit and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.