The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Gnomeo0228

Gnomeo0228 Well-Known Member

Shavanomics ;)

2. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

I know, right? But my wife keeps muttering something about faulty logic every time I bring it up--what would a woman know of logic? *instinctively ducks to avoid inevitable and well-deserved slap to the back of the head* ;)

3. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

And I think this tidbit from the announcement email bears mentioning:

**Glacial Wintergreen, Glacial Obsidian, and Glacial Eskimo Tuxedo
    will not be returning in 2021.

4. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Friday morning’s Grand Freeze:

I put some black cherry scented icicles in my face - this is one helluva soap!

Be safe and healthy and have a great weekend!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Glacial Wintergreen is my favorite of the menthol soaps from Stirling.

6. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Ha! That’s my philosophy...........I’m SO thrifty! :D

7. Yehuda D

Brrrrrrr cold and beautiful![​IMG]

8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Looks like a nice setup, but "You're gonna need some more Arcticue". :)

9. Yehuda D

Gee, I’m getting low on it and I don’t think it’s available any longer.

10. Paul Turner

Well THAT is a shame. Why do products like that just disappear?

11. Yehuda D

I wish I knew!

12. Paul Turner

I had the Wintergreen once. Reaction after the first few tries(especially the opener):

YEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOWWWWWWZAMAMAWHATISTHISNEVERFELTTHISCOLDBEFOREYEAAAAOOOO

13. Gnomeo0228

Happy menthol-Monday my friends! Been a while since I used a menthol and this fit the bill! Also, tested out to razors I honed up myself.

14. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Great shave! Great tests!

Your videos are a great illustration of how open edge skills improve in time.

FWIW, I can't get any reliable kind of an HHT with my hair anytime, even with a new Feather in a shavette (DE or AC). I kind of chunk the hanging hair tests in with the guys that are getting BBS level 7 shaves. ;)

ezlovan, falconhal, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  15. Paul Turner

Another niiiiice go with Glacial Lime A.S., repeating Wed.

16. Gnomeo0228

you my friend! (BBS level 7 ahahahaha)

Yeah, the HHT can be kinda be a PITA! lol! It took me a lot of try to figure it out. Here is th article I mentioned (I think it was in this video lol)

http://www.coticule.be/hanging-hair-test.html

17. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I found the thumb pad test works best for me. I swear, I never thought I'd actually do that! I have used it sharpening knives for years, but seeing it done with a straight just sent shivers up my spine.

Lots of great razor honing folk use the HHT successfully, I couldn't get repeatability. The article did show me something I do not do, but will try the next time..... wetting the test hair. Thanks for the link.

Shave sharp my brother!

18. ezlovan

ezlovan Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor

So, covid-19 (or government response to it, I should say) has cut off much of my supply chain. I can't get all the necessary components to craft the Boat Drinks right now. It's my own personal creation, and a scent I make from scratch. I've tried using substitutes for the missing ingredients, and it's just not the same. I won't bring it back until I can get all the proper ingredients again so we can make it right.

Tsuka was supposed to return this fall. I'm not sure right now though. Everything is up in the air. I can't find tallow anymore as with all the processing plants being shut down and the price of meat soaring, the same thing is happening to tallow that happened to the carbomers used to make hand sanitizer: unless you are a major corporation like McDonald's, you aren't getting beef tallow anymore (at least not the good deodorized stuff). We're honestly in a bit of panic mode, as even though I buy tallow by the pallet now, my supply will run out in a matter of weeks if I can't get more. We'll either have to reformulate to a vegan soap, or just stop making soap period for a bit until we can get more. If these supply issues start affecting ingredients like coconut, palm, castor, and olive oil, we'll be in deep doodoo. For now, we're scrambling to keep everything going and hopefully get the coffee roaster fired up soon to help alleviate some of the pressure that the soap company is feeling.

19. Gnomeo0228

Oh gosh Rod, that's terrible. appreciate the update. I'll be praying for you my friend

20. Paul Turner

Ehhh..LADIES and uh Gentlemen: Based on the report we just got from Doc Ezlovan, I'd like to announce that the Stoylin Tony Awards nomination days will go on as planned. My only concern will be at the end of the year when the winner and runner-up are chosen. Nothing is needed by me before then, as I am well stocked in his soaps and aftershaves at this time. I join @Gnomeo0228 in wishing the Doc and the rest of the Stoylin team the best, as they fight their way through the situation created by Covid19.