Another creation

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    For a great shave AND a great workout.

2. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

+1
    They are both hefty works of art.

Jayaruh and twhite like this.
  3. GAW9576

For TAR shave number 2 I chose the AlumiTAR with the Brass TAR top cap.
    It was an easy 2 pass shave. Mer Shavings Fougere Orange is one of my favorites and it lathered very well with this brush with a Maggard's synthetic knot.
    The shave tonight was very efficient but ever so slightly harsh. It may be that the lighter weight of the razor doesn't demand as much attention which caused me to get a little lenient on my technique. However it was still a very pleasant shave.
    Only having these for a week I wish I could shave every day. But I have never been an everyday shaver and the skin on my neck would not tolerate it.

[​IMG]

ischiapp, BigD, hins2jw0 and 4 others like this.
  4. GAW9576

Great close shave tonight with the Brass Beauty set to 5. I definitely prefer the Brass TAR. I think the only thing that could make it better is Barber Pole knurling. But as much as I love BP knurling I'm not even sure it would be an impoverishment, at least in looks.
    Since I'm not an every day shaver it looks like I will have one more shave with this fantastic beast. I'm plan to shave early for a change on Wednesday so I can get it cleaned up and in the mail. So the next person on the list should PM me soon so I have there address.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture with my Gem MMOC I had to include a Gem for Micromatic Monday.

[​IMG]

ischiapp, Jayaruh, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  5. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Too bad that awesomeness isn't for sale. I'd buy the brass version. Just really cool.

6. Pancake

Pancake Member

I just found this thread (new to forum) but this thing is a beast! Adjustable full brass razor, that is very nice. It looks like it was made sometime in early 20th century, with that art-deco style, and with quallity that should last 100 years.

7. GAW9576

I sent @jimjo1031 a PM so as long as I hear from him in time the razors should be on there way tomorrow.

Jim99, Edison Carter and twhite like this.
  8. GAW9576

My last shave with the TARs. I picked the Brass Behemoth again. I went with a Feather Super Stainless this time and set the dial to 6. Most of the shave was fantastic but got a little to aggressive over the adams apple on the ATG pass. Other than that the shave was fantastic.
    I cleaned up and packed the razors and just returned from the post office.

[​IMG]

ischiapp, Jayaruh, BigD and 7 others like this.
  9. Pancake

Pancake Member

@GAW9576 Feather blade and highest setting on razor? What could go wrong :D just kidding, this brass monster is a nice piece.....I wonder how much different it would be with full safety bar instead of open comb.

Edison Carter and GAW9576 like this.
  10. GAW9576

Yeah I was pushing my luck. The rest of the shave was great. Just that darn Adams apple, always such a pain to shave around.
    Depending on the setting the guard bar VS open comb would make little to no difference in my opinion. At 6 I don't think it's even touching the skin unless you are shaving with a very steep angle.

11. GAW9576

Any more updates on shaves @twhite? I can't imagine you only shaved with them once.
    Now that the two on the pass around have left my den I have to live vicariously through others experience with them.

Jayaruh, Jim99 and Edison Carter like this.
  12. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Up again tonight with the flat top. I will post

Jayaruh and Edison Carter like this.
  13. GAW9576

Flat top??

Edison Carter likes this.
  14. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Sorry thinking of the other razor. That is up for tonight. Saturday will be the TAR

GAW9576 and Edison Carter like this.
  15. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

It is my opinion that at 6 the 'safety bar', whatever configuration does not come into play if you are shaving on a 'lowest approach angle'.

For my shaves at 6, I was following my training to 'ride the cap', tipped in only enough for blade feel.

I found it to be the most delightful DE razor ever, regardless of the setting I was using. The shaving technique needs to change a bit on the different settings, still great fun.

While my desire to own more safety razors has been dampened down by a love for edge forward shaving devices, if the TAR was commercially available at less than $200, I'd probably buy it.

twhite, Jim99, Pancake and 1 other person like this.
  16. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Tom's Adjustable Razor (brass) Razor
    Personna Stainless Blade
    JR #236/30mm Tuxedo Brush
    Barrister & Mann Sandalwood Soap
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel w/Rose
    Aqua Velva Musk After Shave

Just one word, sweet...............

Untitled.jpg

BigD, Jayaruh, GAW9576 and 4 others like this.
  17. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I’ll line up with you.
    :)

GAW9576, Edison Carter and twhite like this.
  18. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Second shave
    [​IMG]
    Tonight was shave 2 with the TAR. I dialed it up to 6 for all 3 passes. I must say that this is one of the closest 3 pass shave that I recall.

I did get 2 delayed weepers. Where the heck these come from, I haven’t a clue. I am talking 10 minute post shave. Maybe it is the blood thinners I have to take. Anyhow other than that. It was an absolute irritation free shave. Confirmed by my Aluminum block. On that. I dropped it first time ever. I was so pissed. Luckily it only chipped the very edge on2 sides. Fully functional to my delight.

I know I made this razor and may have a bias. I think this might be my best shaving razor I have. Mind you I have a 100 plus razors.

When things calm down. I will truly make a concerted effort to find somebody to make some of these.

Some things I noticed. This heavy razor can be manipulated better than I ever thought. Light razors one tends to apply pressure. On this I found that I can remove pressure so to speak. It is a dance for lack of better description. I find it to be very pleasurable to use. Mind you i would not use it on this setting of 6 if I was pressed for time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ischiapp, BigD, PLANofMAN and 4 others like this.
  19. GAW9576

I love the brass TAR. I don't think I'd use it on any setting at all if I were pressed for time though. Not because I think it would bite at lower settings if shaving fast bit because I'd be afraid of dropping it on my foot and breaking bones.. All joking aside I don't like shaving when feeling rushed at all. I like to take my time and enjoy the process. And I really enjoyed the week I had testing the TARs. Thank you so much for making these razors and sharing them with us.

Jayaruh, twhite and Edison Carter like this.
  20. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I'll buy one!

Jayaruh and twhite like this.