Unknown de razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by totjoe, May 23, 2020.

1. totjoe

totjoe Member

Good morning my friends.someone can say something about this razor?worth buying?thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  2. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

It looks like a clone of a Tech but playing off of the design of some of the Gem razors to me. If you like the way it looks, want to try an experiment, and the price fits your budget, sure, buy it.

totjoe likes this.
  3. plumberroy

plumberroy New Member

Looks like my Merkur 1904

BigMike, PanChango and totjoe like this.
  4. totjoe

totjoe Member

The seller priced him approx 7 €
    I think i buy him
    Thanks guys:)

5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Looks like an old German razor made in Soligen. They made a bunch of unbranded 3pc designs that came out of that city. IIRC they made them that way without any manufacturing marks while Gillette still had the patent on the design for the razor head and 3 hole blades.

PLANofMAN, Edison Carter and totjoe like this.
  6. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

unnamed.jpg
    We've probably seen several of these listed on the bay or various places. They are referred to as "vintage unknown maker" razors and there are apparently no markings at all on them. Does anybody know any details about them, and possibly how they shave? They're pretty plain, but for some reason I like the looks of them. I'll prb purchase one no matter what, they're certainly inexpensive enough. I'd just like to know something about them.

Terry and brit like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I believe most of them are early DE medical prep razors or military issue razors, and were designed to be both nearly disposable and easily sanitized. They shave pretty well, but can feel harsh on the face, due to the lack of polishing each got.

brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  8. Ijustmissedthe50s

Aha...thanks @PLANofMAN. Makes sense now considering the finish and simplicity. I have no idea why they intrigued me so. Must have been the curiousity...they're not much to look at lol. I have unbelievably misplaced my only open comb de...an old Frankenrazor that I really enjoyed. Still a mystery. So I've been looking around for a simple replacement. I'm pretty sure this isn't my resolution lol.

brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I feel the need to point out that my "med prep" identification is pure speculation on my part, and as far as I know, I'm the only person who holds that opinion.

It's based in two things. The first being the handle. That type of anti-roll handle used to be a popular choice for scalpel handles and other small surgical tools, and I believe I've seen similar handles on medical prep marked DE razors.

The second is the top cap. You don't usually see a stamped sheet metal top cap on a daily use razor. This suggests that the razor was intended for utilitarian use, not face shaving, and the only other use for a shaving style razor is medical prep.

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and jmudrick like this.
  10. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Really need a better picture of this one.
    The base plate and top cap separate.
    The handel looks like the kind that came from a, vending machine.
    I have a couple of them, mild shavers, if that's what it is.

tp

11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Here's the listing in Waits, not much help. I have one of each. I shave with all my razors but haven't got to these yet.[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

12. Ijustmissedthe50s

Is it just the pic or does the the hex handled one look like it just press fits into the handle? Prb the pic quality...do yours thread into the handle, Terry? I was thinking the manufacturer might be saving cost, but they had the round handle knurled.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Enrico likes this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

The hex handled one is threaded ..... I've had a couple.

:eatdrink013:

14. Ijustmissedthe50s

This was fascinating to me. There was more info and familiarity with these simple pcs of metal than I expected. I've decided that I will not be purchasing one though. The basic, plain look still intrigues me but I dont think it's a den addition. Sure is fun to learn though, as always, here in TSD!

15. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I agree.

16. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

They pop up all the time on Ebay. Some sellers think they can get a lot for them as they advertise them as "vintage". I have gotten a few of them, but only because they were included in lots and I only wanted the other items.

17. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

Hello, it's a contemporary clone of a 30ies Solingen design. This handle and head style, combined with zamak casting was really favoured by Solingen firms, but the originals lack knock out marks.

[​IMG]

Adam