May 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 30, 2020.

?

What will you be "mixing up" in May?

1. Razors I rarely/never use

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Blades I rarely/never use

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Soaps I rarely/never use

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Brushes I rarely/never use

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. A combination of everything just thrown together like a salad!

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Who said you could suggest a salad?! We eat cookies here!!!

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Gonna PIF some stuff and try to win some PIF'd stuff to replace it!

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. I miss Chris's intros with only two questions. This is just ridiculous!! Sheesh!

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jeff. I did antique the brass General. I am not a fan of trying to polish brass.

jtspartan, jgreenepa, brit and 3 others like this.
  2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Wonderful photo Charlie. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

jgreenepa, wristwatchb, brit and 3 others like this.
  3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Joe. I stick with the warm/hot water shave year round followed by a cold water rinse. I then use witch hazel with menthol everyday. I have shaved many times in cold water when I had to. ;)

jgreenepa, jtspartan, brit and 4 others like this.
  4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great travel setup Keith. The food looks fantastic. Now I am really hungry. :eatdrink023:

jgreenepa, brit, jluc and 2 others like this.
  5. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Thank you, Clint--it's been a relaxing one (even with the kids' happy shrieking) :D

jgreenepa, brit, jluc and 2 others like this.
  6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The Merry Mixed Up Month of May!

May 24

Razor - Gillette New LC (Delta Echo)
    Blade - rapira-swedish-supersteel.jpg
    Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Brush - 30DC LE Meet Up Brush w/ SynBad
    Post - Alum

Welcome to Memorial Day Weekend! Thunderstorms are closing in so it's now official. We may have them through Monday which is ok. No plans anyway other than just to relax. Decided to pull out a favorite razor tonight and relax with it! The Gillette New LC, with Delta Echo finish. The New is one of the best Gillette ever made, and this one is a beauty. I paired it with a Rapira Swedish Supersteel, mainly because I rarely use these blades. I tend to favor a couple of others, but this blade is sharp and just as good as anything with the name Rapira on it. MWF for a great lanolin lather and the 30DC meet up brush to whip it into shape. Good looking shave, as well as one that has the best of everything.

Three passes and the baby is in the house and I'm ready to sit back and watch the lightning. Hope you have some fun this weekend and stay safe!!

May 24 2020.jpg

jtspartan, brit, clint64 and 7 others like this.
  7. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Wonderful travel kit and shave. The food looks yummy and I am not a sushi guy!

brit, clint64, timabababaluka and 2 others like this.
  8. Trigger

Niice!

9. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

MAYhem Monster cartridge free-for-all

4th shave (3x.5) on the Dollar Shave Club 6 blade +trimmer on trade from a co-worker testing a DE and an injector.

3rd half shave with my very dearly hated ex, the Mach3. Seriously, if you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got. And.....just for the MAYhem fun of things...... I think I'm getting a refresher on razor bumps. Bye Mach3, you loose.
    AGAIN!

I did a repeat of yesterday's shave but went with Stirling Sheep. Even after dumping in a bunch of frost drops it still had a stank. Not as bad as the greasy, slimey Dr Carvers Shave Butter, but still. If this mutton tallow soap wasn't the best performing soap ever, I'd toss it.

Both carts delivered a one pass WTG SAS. For the DSC that's 'Socially Acceptable Shave'. For the dearly departed Mach3 that's 'Schmitty Asked Shave'.

Once again the Feather DX stepped up for a shave rescue. Just one ATG did the trick using a real soap instead of Dr Carvers Slime Butter. I think I could push this blade further, but won't. Fresh steel is in order for these rescues.

Yesterday, Chris got me wondering who actually makes the razors Dollar Shave Club sells. A little research points to Dorco who also sells presumably the same gear in numerous outlets at comparable pricing. Which is good to know if I want to ever get more stuff to play with but not join a ball & chain club.

I really botched up a true reveal on the gear my friend gave me to test by violating sound 30DC principles and introducing too many variables. So far, I still think that the 6 blade DSC/Dorco job is a reasonable, low cost method to get a 1 pass quick, down and dirty clean up if you had to use this stuff. If I was confined to a hospital bed, or a once a week head shaver like my friend, I could understand. Now, if I was single, and looking to not be, some social distancing from this kind of gear would be in order.

The Mach3 was just plain crummy from day 1. How did I ever use these things?

I'll probably continue a little more for some guage on longevity on the DSC, but it will remain 1 WTG w/cart, 1 ATG with a shavette. And, even though it is MAYhem, you just won't see me using a monster razor for ATG work.

20200524_175906-1.jpeg

Happy shaves gents. Remember those who gave all in this Memorial Day.

Edison Carter reporting for Nework 23 or 20 minutes into the future where Zik-Zak Corporation decides what razor the masses will use.

jtspartan, brit, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  10. Trigger

Fine shave and history lesson Jeff!

jgreenepa, brit, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  11. Trigger

Bill, nice post. However, they would have to cart me away before I would use carts.

Edison Carter, brit, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  12. dvdhviid

dvdhviid Well-Known Member

So far I much prefer my RR G37. 3 passes BBS as well but I keep my top layer of skin on my head I've ordered an Above the Tie S1. If that gives me a gentler shave it's the keeper. One or the other will be up for sale. I'm getting much better with the Wunderbar. but these are not meditative, reflect on the day type shaves

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  13. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

So tonight I did a vintage old spice shave. Now, this time I changed things up a bit. Typically I bowl lather with all of my shaves. Whether it's old spice, stirling or proraso. It's all across the board for me. Rarely will I face lather. But tonight I had a new learning experience. In the past when ever I used my vintage os puck I thought there was a slight performance issue with the lather when ever I shaved. As much as I loved it (and still do), I noticed that the lather was a bit thin for my personal liking. I honestly had thought maybe because of the age of the soap that was the reasoning for the performance issue. But as I watched other Youtubers review the soap, I noticed that basically all of them face lathered their os puck. So that brings me to what happened with tonight's shave. Instead of bowl lathering, I whipped up the soap directly from the puck and went straight in for a face lather. This time the lather density was incredibly better. So at this point, for now on, I will be face lathering the vintage os. Ended up with no cuts on tonight's shave for a change so that is also a plus! Hope everyone had a great weekend! Ya'll have a great Memorial Day as well!

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  14. myles wilson

Beautiful!!

15. myles wilson

Awesome Razor! looks brand new! I love history, so when I think of 1912 I think of "Titanic" I might have to get one of those razors just for that. Awesome report btw :)

jgreenepa, brit, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  16. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Awesome report Tim!!
    I have the whole lineup and the MMOC is my fav. Its one serious razor. Great report Jeff!

jgreenepa, brit, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  17. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Veddy nice Chris!
    Wonderful reports and pics Keith. Looks like a good time was had .

I'm sure I could weld up something shaveable out of a full set.

jtspartan, brit, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  18. Trigger

Great shave and lather discovery Myles! You may want to experience facelathering with your other soaps as well.

19. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Great report Neal!
    Mach III reminds me of my ex wife . Ugh. Anywho , great write up Bill!!
    Facelather for the win!!! Awesome Myles.

20. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Almost forgot to post my own shave today...too much sun maybe.
    Face with the shick and head with the DE. Finally used up the Nivea cream and had to hit the Fine Platinum to finish the shave . Hope everyone had a great weekend!!! 20200525_005809.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.