May 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 30, 2020.

?

What will you be "mixing up" in May?

1. Razors I rarely/never use

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Blades I rarely/never use

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Soaps I rarely/never use

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Brushes I rarely/never use

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. A combination of everything just thrown together like a salad!

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Who said you could suggest a salad?! We eat cookies here!!!

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Gonna PIF some stuff and try to win some PIF'd stuff to replace it!

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. I miss Chris's intros with only two questions. This is just ridiculous!! Sheesh!

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

:D

jtspartan, brit, Trigger and 2 others like this.
  2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Tim.

3. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Thank you Tim! That RA is the basic razor in their line. The other RA that I recently honed has cocobolo scales.

4. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Thanks, Clint!

brit, clint64, jluc and 1 other person like this.
  5. jgreenepa

Thanks, my friend! It's really spectacular stuff. I find myself reaching for it every morning. That used to be the case with MWF. Waiting for the Nancy Boy Cooling Balm to arrive. Hope you had a nice Memorial Day.

brit, Trigger, jluc and 1 other person like this.
  6. jgreenepa

That's a cool looking razor. I don't think it shaves any differently from the MMCP, or at least that's what I've been told. YMMV.

brit, Trigger, timabababaluka and 2 others like this.
  7. jgreenepa

Beautifully staged image, Clint, along with a great sentiment. Hope you enjoyed the ribs, and had a good Memorial Day.

8. jgreenepa

Jason, Rod George is a custom handle maker based in Ca. He uses Maggard heads for his razors.

brit, Trigger, jtspartan and 3 others like this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jeff. The ribs were fantastic and we have had a wonderful Memorial Day and long weekend.

10. jgreenepa

Great shave and sentiment, Joe. Hope you enjoyed the day!

brit, clint64, timabababaluka and 2 others like this.
  11. timabababaluka

Awesome pics, kit, shave, and report, Jeff! I've often wondered how the MMCP shaved compared to the MMOC--now I know :D

I really like the versatility of being able to add menthol to whatever soap I happen to have on hand should the mood so strike me. I've hit the last third of my Frost Drops, and will likely need to replace them by the time July or August rolls around. I might give m-bomb a whirl this time round if I can find it.

12. jgreenepa

Gorgeous photo, Maestro, along with a brush sentiment I'm in complete agreement with. I love my Omega Pro48 Boar. It's beautifully broken in and a great lather generator. I've looked at the Mondials, but never pulled the trigger. Hope you had a good day.

13. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Thank you Jeff! Hung out with some friends at Eisenhower Park in Nassau County. Today was very quiet, but as I was doing my daily constitutional, I unexpectedly ran into a high school classmate and her significant other. That was today's highlight. With the NY situation, this holiday was quite different.

brit, Edison Carter, jluc and 3 others like this.
  14. jgreenepa

Beautiful photo, Jason. Wizamets are great blades. Hope your day went well.

brit, Trigger, jtspartan and 2 others like this.
  15. timabababaluka

”May 25--In the Mix-it-Up-of-Mystery May”
    Shavette Shave #76 ”An Unintended MAYhem Shave”

So, I got my gear all prepped, my Iced Pineapple all whipped up and applied, and had my shavette in hand for the 1st stroke when there was a thundering on the bathroom door.

Aside: I know that one of Keith’s @Keithmax maxims warns against shaving with an open blade if this kind of interruption is a possibility (paraphrasing here, but it’s something like: If there’s a chance someone might knock on the door… put down the razor. I tend to follow most of the Keithmaxims to the letter, but out of practicality have to ignore this one. No matter what the time, day or night, someone knocking on the bathroom door is always a clear and present danger. I sometimes leave the bathroom door open so I can see and hear a potential interruption coming rather than getting in the zone only to have the door suddenly erupt in thunderous knocks.

The interruption was my 3rd oldest son with a cordless phone in his hand.

“It’s Grandpa,” he informed me. My dad.

I picked up the phone, careful not to get Iced Pineapple all over the receiver. He needed me to rip some 2x6’s at various tapered angles and didn’t have a circular saw. But he didn’t say it like that. He described the whole project, and 2 minutes into the conversation, I could tell he was doing it so he could wrap his head around the project rather than me. Normally that’s fine, but I had Iced Pineapple slowly trying to dissipate. What to do?

The answer was to shave with one hand and talk on the phone with the other. Had to switch hands a couple times, but it went pretty well; no cuts, and no shaving cream on the receiver. The 1st pass and phone conversation ended about the same time.

Gear
    • Razor: Max Headroom Focus R21 Shavette
    • Blade: Gillette Rubie (2)--Still very impressed with this blade
    • Brush: Stirling Finest Badger
    • Soap: Stirling Iced Pineapple (chilled with ice water)
    • Menthol: Stirling Frost Drops
    • AS: Aqua Velva Ice Blue (2 Frost Drops added--Menthol Monday!)
    • Balm: Stirling Glacial Unscented
    20200525_103131-01.jpeg

The Shave
    A rushed shave today. I knew my dad would be over with lumber that needed ripping pretty soon, so instead of the typical WTG, XTG, ATG shave, I did a quick 2nd WTG pass, then finished up with a quick XTG/ATG hybrid. No touching up.

DFS all around except the Cape Horn portion of my chin which is DFS/CCS. No irritation. Pretty pleased, all things considered--a great weekday shave.

Happy Memorial Day Monday! :D

76 down, 24 to go!

brit, Edison Carter, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  16. jgreenepa

Great photo, Gary! Love the staging. Hope your day went well.

brit, Trigger, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  17. jgreenepa

Lovely shave with that beautifully staged Carbon Shaving Razor. Hope you had a good day.

18. jgreenepa

Great working shave, Tim! You've become so proficient you can go on automatic while conversing with your dad. I'm impressed. Hope you had a great Memorial Day.

19. jgreenepa

Great shave with a splendid kit, Joe! Does your Rod George have the aggressive or mild head? Just curious. Hope you had a great Memorial Day.

brit, Trigger, jluc and 1 other person like this.
  20. timabababaluka

Thank you, Jeff--that 1st pass could very easily have gone the other way; I'm chalking it up to the luck of the Irish ;)

Memorial Day's been great so far--hope yours went equally well :D

brit, Edison Carter, Trigger and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.