Badger vs Boar

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jgreenepa, Dec 5, 2019.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm truly sorry. I just saw this post.

Almost all hair and bristle comes from China. Semogue is probably the only manufacturer to source at least some hair from the Baltic states. They also dabbled in sourcing Iberian boar bristle from either Portugal or Spain. Vie-long sources horsehair from Spain.

So... Hair comes from China, wrapped in bundles, usually at least somewhat pre-sorted. Various manufacturers then sort the hair themselves and make the knots. The following list is not comprehensive, but covers most of the well known internationally established brands.

Thater & Shavemac: Germany
    Vie-long: Spain
    Semogue: Portugal
    Omega: Italy
    Simpson's, Vulfix, & Rooney: U.K.
    Morris & Fondran: knots are made in the U.K. handles are made in the U.S.
    Varlet: U.S.A.
    Declaration Grooming: U.S.A.

Shavemac is the only company that lets you just buy a non Chinese knot, no hoop jumping required.
    https://www.shavemac.com/products/Configurator/Shaving-Knot-Configurator.html

Omega knots are available from the golden nib, most likely extracted from Omega handles.

The other companies, you would need to contact. They are interested in selling brushes, not running a D.I.Y. store. Expect to pay the same price for a knot as for a full brush, if you can even get them to consider just selling you the knot.

I do know that Simpson's will reknot vintage Simpson's brush handles. Declaration Grooming will also install knots in vintage handles, though he requires the previous knot to be removed first. Knot removal is not a service he offers.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Keithmax, brit and cliffb599 like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

:signs011:

BigD and brit like this.
  3. Macbeth

Macbeth Active Member

As a relatively new safety razor shaver, I immediately started buying brushes that were recommended on several forums and ( Gasp! Amazon reviews----never again! But what did I know?)

First was a Edwin Jagger Best Badger with plastic holder-- Whoohoo! I found it easy to make my first lathers with. And it looked good in its genuine Plastic holder stuck ( at first, before it fell off 2 weeks later)

Then I saw the beautiful Yaqui brushes on Alibaba, and ordered the Mocha and Professional Blue/white one.
    The big blobs of brush splayed lather up my nose and into my mouth. Top of my chest sometimes.

I noticed my ebay purchase of Razorock XXX was fast disappearing and I was washing lots of later down the sink!
    After, a Semogogue Club Owners Boar. Not bad but pretty rough on my face.

Then I purchased the Simpson Chubby 1 in Super Badger ( because it was listed as $124) WOW! I love this one so I went crazy and ordered the Simpson Duke3 in Best ( I love this too....a different ( in a nice way))

In last week I went "bats..t "wild, thinking I might actually not make it out of the Coronovirus!!
    So I grabbed for more: waiting on The M7 ( since I do lot of bowl lathering)

And today , the creme de la creme, at least for me: a Griffith Custom Mammoth Tusked handled 2 band silvertip which I will try tomorrow.
    This is "a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury.......signifying nothing!!!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  4. Campion

Campion Active Member

So how about an update? How do you like the M7? And the Custom Griffith? Enjoying them? We LOVE photos, by the way!

5. The situational shaver

The situational shaver Well-Known Member

They say polite conversation excludes politics, religion, and brush preference!
    So what? Let’s open the can of worms!
    Standard thought says badger is better for soft creams, boar is better on hard soaps.
    I recently used a Yaqi Barber Pole in 2 band badger on a modern Williams puck in my Marvy mug.
    Got a better lather than I ever did with boar, and, I have used boar on Williams for years.
    So what does it all mean? All the stuff works. Brushes, soap, blades, razors, after shave, etc.
    It’s whatever works for you. The only real difference is how you like it. And how it feels to you.
    The thing I’ve noticed, and what I’m always preaching, is the situation.
    On a dry, humid day, a scritchier brush feels nice, because you get some exfoliation.
    On a humid day, when my face is soft, and already hydrated, a brush with a softer face-feel is better.
    All the gear works, just a little differently. There are no rules, use something in different situations
    and see how it works. You’ll ultimately find it works different, depending on the situation, for you.
    Then, you’ll know when the best time to use it for you is. I apply that philosophy to all my gear.
    That’s why I am The Situational Shaver.
    By the way, if I use a ‘croap’, (part cream, part soap), does that mean the best brush for it would be a hybrid?
    Hmmmm.

6. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

Since the OP narrowed it down to badger vs boar, I will not comment on the alternatives.

Badger gets my vote. I like big giant silvertips. They don't have to be expensive if you don't mind mass produced handles and Chinese knots, of which some suck but some are pretty darn good. My current daily driver is a 30mm silvertip in a tall handle from Whipped Dog. It is about $2 more than a Virginia Sheng and I didn't have to wait on shipping from China.

So why badger? Why not boar? Badger doesn't need to be broken in. Broken in boar still doesn't have the feel of a silvertip. Badger holds more soap and water. Badger lasts longer. Badger doesn't need to be dyed to make it look like Badger.

So why boar? Hypothetically speaking, if I was a boar man. A boar brush attacks hard soap like it is a mortal enemy. A boar exfoliates vigorously. A premium brand boar can cost about the same as a no name badger. A well broken in boar has sort of the same vibe as a well colored meerschaum pipe.

Either one is a valid choice and it is an extremely personal and subjective one. As for me, I am all about the badger.

Bartholomew Badger with my Whipped Dog 30mm silvertip. I actually have three of these. I wanted to be prepared for the brushocalypse.
    BadgerAndBadger.jpg

BigD, Ijustmissedthe50s and mvd like this.
  7. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I use the range from badger, boar, horse and synth. I like them all but boars are cheap & efficient. Takes time to break in but they serve well.

Enrico likes this.
  8. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

I Swing Both Ways. ( No pun Intended )
    I prefer Maggards 70/30 Badger Boar mixed Knots. I have a 24 mm and 26 mm. There my Favorites.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

Enrico likes this.
  9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Badger is king
    Boar is poor
    Synthetic is the new choice for the masses, mostly the empty pocket masses, or frugal germaphobes.
    Horse gets tangled
    Nylon is stiff (with the exception of the badger-lon, It’s pretty nice)

the Cadillac is always the badger

cliffb599 and Enrico like this.
  10. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Badgers are nice. The synthetics have gotten so good they’re right up there with the badgers.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    cliffb599 likes this.
  11. CLEMSON TIGER

CLEMSON TIGER Active Member

I favor boar more than any other. If badgers went extinct, my existence as a shaver wouldn’t be impacted. Boar brushes are my work horses. I own:

1 Parker Silvertip
    1 RazoRock synthetic
    3 boar, Vanderhagen, Semogue 1305, Omega 10098

I also own a spare 1305 and a spare 10098 as replacements for what’s in service.

that’s my line up. I like the backbone, I like that they DONT absorb as much water, and I love the overall feel. Come to think of it, I don’t think I have ever owned a badger beyond the Silvertip I have. I DO however, own a Semogue 1305 and an Omega 10098 still in its package and unopened ready for the day (hopefully no time soon) when I’d replace the ones currently in service. I like them that much. Everyone has their own tastes and their own textures they prefer- now creams, I’ll use a synthetic or Silvertip- but I’m mostly by & large a soap guy. Hope that helps- get in the head of a boar fan.