assistance needed to ID a straight razor with only a curved ax on it

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by mdpmedia, May 28, 2020.

1. mdpmedia

mdpmedia New Member

Hi,[​IMG] ax logo on straight razor.jpg

I have a razor that only has this deeply engraved symbol of an ax-type figure with a curved handle on it.

Any help to find out about the origin of this straight razor would be welcomed: manufacturer name, model, year(s) it was created and how well it is regarded in the collector community. If there are any past sales of anything similar to this, please give me a web site to check it out.

Thanks

Enrico, Keithmax and jimjo1031 like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I THINK that's a pipe.

3. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

That is a Wostenholm "Pipe" razor. It's a high-quality razor from Sheffield, England. The"Pipe" trademark was acquired by Wostenhlom in 1843. I'm not sure how long the brand was produced. Prices can run all over the place, depending on the overall condition of the razor and the value place upon it by the seller. A quick check on eBay, both current auctions and sold items should give you a good idea of the price range. A great deal of information can also be had at WWW.Strazors.com for many different brands of razors.

brit, Keithmax, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  4. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

I got a very decent one for under £30, the name etc are well visible, and it shaves well.

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Is this part of the "Stash" you bought at an estate sale?? So, what are you planning on doing with these razors you acquired?? Sell, use, collect??? Have you ever used a Straight Razor??

6. Primotenore

Article Team
    It would be great to hear back from you, so we don't have to assume you just registered at TSD to sell a razor. We offer so much more.

7. DaltonGang

:signs011:

8. Primotenore

Article Team
    I guess I got my answer. BTW, TSD is a shave forum, dedicated to and for "like-minded" wet-shaving enthusiasts. It is NOT here to provide evaluations for ebay sellers and the like. To quote George W. "Do the Google".

Keithmax likes this.
  9. mdpmedia

mdpmedia New Member

Just like any serious collector I want to build my personal collection of straight razors to end up with the top one to five razors of each manufacturer: at least in terms of what the general collector community opines.

Insofar as trading and buying straight razors this would be normal and acceptable activity as part of any type of collectible item where one would wish to acquire and discard certain examples backed up by the resources of knowing exactly what maker and model is being exchanged . If I fail to do this, I could easily see myself running out of money when wanting to upgrade; and money is a limited resource for me at this point.

Finally, I do enjoy shaving with straight razors and could also read about best practices to end up with the smoothest shave.

Enrico likes this.
  10. DaltonGang

Cool. Glad to hear. What straight razors do you shave with?? Any pictures?? We are all about the pictures. Do you Hone them yourself?

11. mdpmedia

mdpmedia New Member

Sometimes I wonder how much BS these owners place in their straight razor (SR) descriptions just to make a sale. Unfortunately, this all that is available of detailed data because of limited Google search results. I am a history buff and the older and more involved a razor has since its birth, the more I delve into its makings.

These statements by this owner need some clarification and this is where I am relying upon your expertise, gents and ladies. Please comment on my three questions:

1. Would it mean that if this blade is laser-etched that the possibility of it being an authentic example from the 1800s or early 1900s is zero? Remember, lasers were not even invented until the 1960s.

2) If this was/is an authentic SR from way back when, why then would someone destroy its authenticity by laser etching the face of the blade?

3) But even more perplexing is why would some fool pay $ 395.00 for this while knowing the above facts unless I am missing something here? Even if it has been restored beautifully, for example, I just cannot understand why.

Remember, I am a :whacky024: to these collectable beauties and any help on preventing me from being taken to the cleaners would be a true gem and gift from this forum and to my verifiable 'authentic' personal collection:

https://www.theartofshaving.com/razors/straight-razors/5/8"-blade-black-wood-grenadille-straight-razor/04045284008225.html?cm_mmc=PPC-IP-GL-_-Shopping l Shaving Kits l Low Volume l SPAG-_-Unscented Travel Shaving Kit With Razor And Blades-_-c5c77328-7b8a-491a-8a06-f046acc2f418&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgeej35Dc6QIVUMDICh2i4AKPEAQYAiABEgKXgPD_BwE

Just click on 'View Details' in the above URL and let me know your thoughts.

:thanks: in advance.

Mark

12. mdpmedia

mdpmedia New Member

("Stash" you bought at an estate sale??) yep, my 1st venture into SRs.

(So, what are you planning on doing with these razors you acquired?? Sell, use, collect???) plz. see above.

(Have you ever used a Straight Razor??) nope

13. efsk

efsk Active Member

14. DaltonGang

I'm out.

15. mdpmedia

mdpmedia New Member

@DG

It's easy for anyone, including myself, to take things out of context without knowing the true intended meaning of anyone:

"("Stash" you bought at an estate sale??) yep, my 1st venture into SRs.

(Have you ever used a Straight Razor??) nope"

Why would anyone suggest that I'm referring to shaving with a SR when replying, 'nope', when I already clearly implied that it's my 1st time venturing into 'using SRs' as a purchase per the above comment. I already said that I had been shaving with a SR etc.

What's the big deal here since it seems like we are getting down into the weeds over petty matters of little value? Let's try to stay on course since all I am after are some simple answers to some basic questions that anyone should likewise be concerned about.

In summary, I don't see how focusing on this type of trivial subject matter will benefit any participant of this thread who wants to learn something beneficial; but majority-supported answers to my specific questions definitely will accomplish a more important and genuine goal for all interested parties...

16. mdpmedia

mdpmedia New Member

Sorry, I should have directed my above response to @efsk and not @DG (DaltonGang).

17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

If it is laser etched then any of the reasons are of big concern. It seems insane to etch a 'vintage' bade as that will destroy the value. Maybe they did it because they wanted to bring back the look of the razor??

The 'Pipe' is a popular and the name sounds cool. Can't comment on the why someone would pay that.

I mostly collect modern razors, especially from artisans. My two cents is, start of with out spending big $$ and try different types of razors. Once you know what style razor you prefer you identify your top 5. My top 5 are all modern artisan blades, but many others would have 'vintage' top 5s.

Edison Carter likes this.