Dating a Gillette with no date code

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by cobb, May 28, 2020.

1. cobb

cobb New Member

I have this Gillette that has no date code, but I want to guess it is 1957 or older. When looking in the handle, it still has the 4 slotted screw which I have seen through 1957 on what I think is called the Flared Tip Super Speed, on the 1959 and newer I see what appears to be a clip or something similar. So with no date codes and the screw in the handle with the 4 slots, is this from the era that there were no date codes or really newer. Please be easy on me, I am still trying to learn.

Attached Files:

Jayaruh, Ijustmissedthe50s and Enrico like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

@cobb

NDC (no date code) of that style would be between 1947 and 1950.

Maybe with a few more pics some one here may be able to narrow it down more.

Hope that helps

:eatdrink047:

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Ijustmissedthe50s, cobb and jimjo1031 like this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

BTW that razor is normally called a Super Speed.

A very nice razor.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Let's see the inside with the TTO doors open.

Enrico likes this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

From @Jayaruh personal site Notched or Not Notched; which can narrow it down to a 1947 or 1948 - 1950.

7. cobb

cobb New Member

Whole story, bought 3 razors blind off of Craig's list. I made an offer for these 3 for $25 shipped and pictured is what I got. Two are identical, no date code, and the one laying has a K1, so based on it's "shapes", I think 1965.

Attached Files:

8. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

yours looks like a 1948/49 Super Speed

Timeline Super-Speed 1948-1950-01.jpg

jimjo1031, Primotenore and Enrico like this.
  9. cobb

cobb New Member

Thanks.
    Now with this info and a little more research I believe the 2 super speed razors are 1948 - 1950. I understand these years were notch for loading razors and had no date code, so that is as close as they can be identified.
    Again thanks.

Jayaruh likes this.
  10. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

the 1950 Super-Speed has a smal ring at the center bar. Your razor has the large ring like the 48/49 Super-Speed

brit, Enrico, cobb and 1 other person like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Not to be funny, but that bit of information really cleared thing up for myself.

Thank you!

12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Good eye for catching that little detail. With that I should be able to narrow down a date range on another Gillette razor

Enrico likes this.
  13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I'll use your picture for now until I can take a picture of my razor since they have the same style ring at the center bar.
    1950 US Rocket.JPG

That razor is a 1950 based on this. Next time I get to digging on some razor research I am going to check everything from 1950 that I can.

14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Unless this razor is dated wrong then the 3rd early 50 style center ring change should be sometime 1949 instead.
    http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1949 Milord.JPG

I also checked some ebay listings and and the 3 I saw with the 1949 styrene case for the Super Speeds all had the 3rd style center ring with no date codes on the razors.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  15. cobb

cobb New Member

So with this info, I checked my 2 closer and one is a 48 or 49 with the larger ring. The other has the smaller ring and the serration on the edge like the early 1950 example with I cannot see on the late 50 example. So I have 2 different years, a 48/49 and a possible late 1949 or early 1950's. Thanks guys!