May 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 30, 2020.

?

What will you be "mixing up" in May?

1. Razors I rarely/never use

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Blades I rarely/never use

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Soaps I rarely/never use

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Brushes I rarely/never use

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. A combination of everything just thrown together like a salad!

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Who said you could suggest a salad?! We eat cookies here!!!

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Gonna PIF some stuff and try to win some PIF'd stuff to replace it!

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. I miss Chris's intros with only two questions. This is just ridiculous!! Sheesh!

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Blair.

clint64, brit, jgreenepa and 2 others like this.
  2. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

MAYhem closeout

Most of the time, I avoid bloody shaves.

To close out my MAYhem dalliances with the vicious cartridge shaving devices, I went with the Polished SS Supply Co. with a brand new Schick Proline chambered up.

This being my top safety razor it delivered deluxe blood free results...... until the last lower neck ATG pass. Totally without intent, 2 ingrown remnants of the foolhardy follies of Cartridedom met their match with a clean and painless harvest season. My seldom used styptic pencil made sure that the best of me did not leak out.

The bestest performing but, normally nasty smelling Mutton Tallow 'unscented' Sheep soap was brought into the Glorious Stanks category with 4 pumps of Piacenza EdT and sufficiently chilled with Frost Drops.

The collapsible paddle bowl easily overcame any surfactant tendencies of the EdT add. The majestic Jayaruh 367 delivered the goods with honors.

Piacenza Splash on for the finish.

The next day, out came the ultra light weight Focus R28 Slim Al. The low weight is an issue for some, I'm OK with it. I love the simplicity of this shave.

Great month gang! Be well!

20200530_174746-1.jpeg

b1hart, clint64, Primotenore and 7 others like this.
  3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Terrific shave and picture, Bill!

Oh, and the color coordinating did not go unnoticed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

clint64, brit, jgreenepa and 3 others like this.
  4. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Hi guys! I got my higher micron lapping films today. The relationship of grit to microns is an inverse one. The higher the micron the lower grit number. Anyway, I got the 15 (bevel setter), 9, and 5 microns to add to my existing 3, 1 and .3 micron films. The other day, I killed edge of my Dovo Special by sliding it against one of the Stirling aftershave glass bottles. I used a cherry tomato to see if the edge was dulled. It was because it couldn't slice it. Anyway, I decided to hone my razor today. I started with the 15 micron and then I tested the edge to see if it would slice the cherry tomato without any pressure. At first, it did at the toe and the middle part of the blade, but not so much at the heel so I took it back on the 15 micron film to hit the heel with a lighter touch on the toe. Did the tomato test again and all parts of the blade was able to slice the tomato without any pressure, thus telling me that the bevel was set. Did the progressions from 9 to 5 to 3 to 1 to 0.3 microns. Did the tomato test again and the arm hair test. Passed without a problem. Took the razor to do 25 laps on my crox treated strop. Wiped the blade and then did 30 on my polyweb fabric and finished with 60 on the leather. Did a slight test with shaving a small area of the back of the neck without lathering and it was able to shave the hairs without a problem. So, I will be shaving with this razor tomorrow as part of my big bang shave to end the month. This will be my first full hone job. If all goes well, then it will be another major step forward in honing a razor. I have honed other razors, but this is the first time that I reset the bevel and take it through the whole progression. I am very excited to see how this razor shaves.

5. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Great shave and report, as usual, Joe! What do you call it when you shave with the same soap and AS for over a week. Addiction? :cool:

clint64, brit, JACarbone and 3 others like this.
  6. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

thank you, Blair! :D

7. timabababaluka

The Ice Blue is the only AV I've used (I'm still pretty new to the AS game). The CVS version of AV goes by Blade Arctic Blue or something along those lines.

I've peeled the label away, and AV is a brilliant blue that would be difficult to confuse with hot sauce, so I think folks are safe--I hate to think what slapping hot sauce on my mug after a shave would feel like :eek:

clint64, brit, JACarbone and 4 others like this.
  8. timabababaluka

Thank you, Joe! :D

I do exactly that--push a bit up from the stick, scrape it onto the edge of the bowl, then smear it into the bottom and load :)

9. timabababaluka

Thank you, Clint :D

10. timabababaluka

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I can't seem to get enough of that combo. The others combos weren't bad, but the IP/G is the one that I'll keep coming back to :D

11. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great job, Joe! I'm sure tomorrow's shave will be wonderful!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

12. timabababaluka

Beautiful photo, great shaves, and awesome report, Bill--those Stirling collapsible bowls definitely get the job done! :D

13. timabababaluka

As am I--can't wait to see the results! Best of luck, sir :D

14. jgreenepa

Sounds great, Joe! I’m really looking forward to your shave! I’m sur it will be a gangbusters shave.

clint64, brit, timabababaluka and 2 others like this.
  15. Trigger

Thanks Jim! This would be the final hurdle in my straight razor journey with the exception of shaving with an 8/8 or larger straight razor. Of course, that very last hurdle will be coming down later this year.

clint64, Keithmax, brit and 4 others like this.
  16. Trigger

Thank you Tim!
    Thanks Jeff!

clint64, brit, timabababaluka and 2 others like this.
  17. Edison Carter

I wouldn't use an Electric Sheep Aftershave. Not my fave, but I can use the soap.

clint64, brit, timabababaluka and 3 others like this.
  18. Edison Carter

I could go on and on about color blindness being a predominantly male trait and that I can't tell the difference.

But, I became an expert color matcher in the ink business who can ace a Munsell Color Test so, yeah I chose blue.
    :cool:

clint64, Keithmax, jtspartan and 5 others like this.
  19. jgreenepa

Lovely shave, Bill! Gorgeous razor, I happen to have one just like it! You should try it with a Feather Super blade. All one needs is a simple hand powered metal nibbler, and the rest is divine! My shave with the three dot plate and Feather Super was terrific.

20. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

:happy108: Thank you Jeff. I guess I do not have an addiction yet as I have not used a soap for more than five days. You may recall in early March I went with the MarChella theme. (Chella and PAA Chella Cool) for the five work days of the week.
    My wife would beg to differ on your addiction analogy.

clint64, Keithmax, jtspartan and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.