June 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2020.

?

Your plan for June?

1. I'm gonna rock a RULE!

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Basic razors are my plan. Keep it simple, keep it real.

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. Basic aftershaves and shave cream soap. Keep it simple, keep it real.

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. Basic everything! Keep it simple, keep it real.

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  5. I'm just waiting for more cookies. Keep it simple, keep it sweet!

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  6. I'm just waiting for more ice cream. Keep it simple, keep it cold!

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  7. I'm going to shave. With some gear. Just keeping on like I always do.

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

2. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Just the Basics June

Monday's Shave

Gillette Old Type
    Gillette Silver Blue
    Mozingo Brushworks
    Proraso Green Shaving Soap and Aftershave

Good menthol cool to start the day today. Two cool passes and minor touchups for a DFS. Switching to two passes instead of three has been the best change I have made to my shave routine. The lower neck irritation (razor bumps) has gone away and I don't ever feel I have to skip a day of shaving for skin resting. I still end up with a near BBS on all areas except my lower neck near the shirt collar. I just do two WTG passes there and have minor stubble left over that is barely visible. I am content with those results.

SOTD 06.08.2020.jpg

3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Nice!
    I've been using my Terrorade pretty regularly lately. I may have to consider the Chel when my Terrorade is gone.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Thank you Joe! I remember when I first started getting into straights and about the fear of maintaining and honing them. Also, the expense, maintaining and storing hones was another concern. I chose lapping fioms because it was the least expensive, and storing them was not a hassle because they are individually sealed in their own plastic bag. Also, it looked like it was very easy to do for a guy that isn't mechanically inclined. Mike Baker, Slash McCoy and others have You Tube videos on how to use films. In any event, you may want to go the Norton synthetic route. Whatever you decide, you can always download videos on the medium that you will use to sharpen your razor. I have refreshed 4 razors and brought the Dovo Special back from scratch using the lapping films. Using this method has given me the confidence to hone my razors. Now, I have 2 razors that I will not hone myself. Obviously, my Mad Max will be sent to Max Sprecher when it's due because I wouldn't want to screw with a very expensive razor. I also have a 15/16 Wolstenholm near wedge that the seller will hone for me when it is due. I would say that honing a razor can get a little frustrating, but there isn't any greater satisfaction when you refresh an edge or reset a bevel to make a new edge. It is part of the straight razor cycle that makes this hobby worthwhile.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  5. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Terrific shave and picture, Andrew!

The hollows of my neck are the most susceptible to redness and irritation. Two WTG passes and one very light XTG. Never ATG.

6. Trigger

Thank you Clint!

7. Trigger

Great shave and I like the bottle Andrew!

8. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Jim. With my multiple hair growth directions in that area, I get some of them XTG by default anyway. ATG is a no go for sure.

9. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Joe. I like the new bottle design too.

10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Terrific Menthol Monday shave, Joe!

timabababaluka, Trigger, brit and 2 others like this.
  11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Fantastic Menthol Monday Shave Andrew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Thank you, Clint!

Norcalnewb, Trigger, brit and 2 others like this.
  13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I’ve been adding the Terrorade to my palm with the aftershave and then splashing in my face. I might use all three on the same shave

14. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Mea Culpa! I enjoyed the results of your ‘non-intentional’ enabling (SS Supply 2.0). Hope you enjoy mine. :happy068:

15. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

June 8th
    GEM MMOC w Gem (1)
    TGN Finest/Maple
    Palmolive Menthol Cream
    Thayers
    Maol Grooming Heliopteris
    IMG_4877.jpg
    Next up in the basic razor focus rotation is this Micromatic, which came via pif from @Linuxguile a few years ago at least. I hadn't shaved since Friday, so this was a full 72 hour removal. Whipped up a decent lather with this 'Menthol Monday' cream, (which would also count as a basic product as well, I suppose) and had 3 nice passes. A fresh blade in a MMOC will sure you pay attention, but there was no issue today. I am quite smooth and I finished off with this quality splash.
    Have a great day all!

16. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Fantastic black and white, Jason! That brush is beautiful. I've never tried that cream, but I have a tube on order from Connaught. It is somewhere between there and here and will arrive whenever the mail delivers. :D

17. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Looking good, Jason!

18. jtspartan

Absolutely stunning blues, Jim. Sounds like that new razor is a winner, too.
    Northern Elixer? I got some Everclear in Hyder, Alaska once. Hope the scent isn't the same...:)

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Lovely shave and B&W photo Jason.

20. jtspartan

Sounds like a great shave, Jim. Love the photo effect as well. Is it just me, or does your face feel exceptional after knocking 72 hours worth off?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.