June 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2020.

?

Your plan for June?

1. I'm gonna rock a RULE!

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Basic razors are my plan. Keep it simple, keep it real.

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. Basic aftershaves and shave cream soap. Keep it simple, keep it real.

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. Basic everything! Keep it simple, keep it real.

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  5. I'm just waiting for more cookies. Keep it simple, keep it sweet!

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  6. I'm just waiting for more ice cream. Keep it simple, keep it cold!

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  7. I'm going to shave. With some gear. Just keeping on like I always do.

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Your reaction matches that of Doc Ezlovan when I was describing how my first Stoylin soap, Barbershop,was coming to an end. Green bottom, which I called a feetball field, and the fans all over the stadium :).

Keithmax, clint64, Trigger and 5 others like this.
  2. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Thanks, Jim! It’s pretty much always the same pic! I guess creativity isn’t my strong suit of clothes!

clint64, Droo78, Trigger and 4 others like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Jason! I am lucky! I will probably go no shave tomorrow so I don't press it too much.

jtspartan, jgreenepa, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  4. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Tim! It is good stuff!

jgreenepa, clint64, Trigger and 3 others like this.
  5. Norcalnewb

You are most definitely right about that, Joe!

6. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Oye! It's difficult being stupid, but I take it a day at a time, Paul Hershel Nigel Jeff ;)

7. Paul Turner

"Wheeeeennnn I look into her eyes
    She goes with me to a blossom bush
    It ain't your business what happened then..
    "I'm pickin up Good Vibrations....(ahhh, you know the rest)"

jgreenepa, Keithmax, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  8. Paul Turner

Y'know, when I looked at the website for Helper, Utah, a woman said right into the camera "That's the Piggly on the right"!

jgreenepa, clint64, Trigger and 4 others like this.
  9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thank you, Jim!

10. Paul Turner

@wristwatchb , I didn't find your original post but it sounds like things went real well for Kathy.

jgreenepa, clint64, Trigger and 4 others like this.
  11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

So far, so good, Paul. Thank you, my friend.

12. brit

brit in a box

thank you Andrew..its fun to use..:)

jgreenepa, clint64, Droo78 and 3 others like this.
  13. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

”June 12--Just the Basics June
    Shavette Shave #92

Gear
    • Razor: Strong Leopard 77-A shavette
    • Blade: Cloud 77-A (1)
    • Brush: JOmega Boar
    • Soap: Stirling Texas on Fire
    • Menthol: Stirling Frost Drops
    • AS: Clubman Original (1 Frost Drop added)
    • Balm: Stirling Glacial Unscented
    20200612_121422-01.jpeg

The Shave
    Okay, I need to come clean. Three weeks into the lockdown, in a moment of weakness, I bought a shavette from China. Just two months prior I got rid of all my GEM razors because I wanted to simplify my life, and I didn’t want multiple blade platforms. Since I couldn’t find a single GEM style shavette that meant my 1912 and MMOC got shipped off to a new home.

And then I saw the Strong Leopard 77-A--a nearly straight-sized shavette--and I made the 12 dollar purchase without even thinking. Then settled down for the month-long wait. 2 months later it hadn’t showed up, tracking showed it sitting in a sorting center for at least a month, and probably would continue to until the end of days. And I was kind of glad; those 77-a style blades were going to be a hassle to keep re-ordering. This was fate’s way of saying, “Stick to your guns, stupid!”

Then this showed up in my mailbox yesterday…

20200612_140253-01.jpeg

As you can see, the 77-a blades are considerably longer than your standard DE blade...

20200612_141026-01.jpeg

But how does it shave? After pass #1 (WTG), I rinsed and did a quick assessment; for the most part it was decent, but I was not impressed with how much stubble remained on the chin.

Pass #2 (XTG) was a bit better, but still a bit stubble-ier than I like to see after 2 passes.

Pass #3 (ATG) went a lot better, but my chin was still giving me fits--touch-ups required. Now, after touching up, I’m pleased with the shave. Solidly between BBS and DFS, and no noticeable irritation. Nice, but hard-won, results. Too soon to put the verdict out on this shavette, but already I have identified some pros and cons…

Pros
    • The blade size. I. Love. It. The 77-a style blade covers a lot of real estate and it’s easier to keep things flat and avoid catching a corner.
    • Weight. It’s nice and heavy. The description says it’s stainless steel (looks almost like galvanized pipe), and even though the cheap, CHEAP plastic scales are crazy light, the Strong Leopard has a nice heft to it. I like it a lot
    • Design. I really like the hinge design. Easy to load, and it allows the razor to take on the profile of an actual straight razor (half-hollow, perhaps). This looks and feels more like a straight razor than any other shavette I’ve used.
    Cons
    • Design. The swinging door that I like so much is held in place by a sliding hinge. Mine seemed very loose during the shave. In fact a few times during the shave, the clip came close to sliding off. The clip can easily be bent to make it tighter though.
    • The clip can be easily bent. This probably means it can be unbent pretty easily and will require rebending over and over again. I can’t imagine you can do this forever--eventually it will break.
    • QC. Quality control is not fantastic. The rivet holding the locking mechanism is very loose. This allows the slightest bit of play in the hinge, which allows for a bit of blade chatter. Because of this, I can’t tell if the blade just isn’t that sharp, or if too much play is keeping the blade from doing its thing. I’m going to have to take a hammer to the pin and see if I can tighten things up a bit. If I screw that up and break the rather cheap rivet, the whole thing becomes useless unless I can jury rig my own clipping mechanism--scary prospect.
    All foibles aside, though, I really enjoyed shaving with the Strong Leopard, and I hope the poor cutting is resolved by tightening things up rather than being a characteristic of these particular Cloud 77-a blades. Now, off to the garage! :D

92 down, 8 to go!

14. brit

brit in a box

thank you Jim.they don't come up for sale very often.

jgreenepa, clint64, Trigger and 2 others like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

fine shaves Tim.have a great weekend..

16. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

A very nice shave all things considered. Hopefully you can get the kinks worked out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

17. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Not everyone needs wheels.

Here are a couple of @jluc 's though......

images (5).jpeg download (5).jpeg

jtspartan, brit, jgreenepa and 6 others like this.
  18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Bill & Patrick.

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Wow. Just freaking wow. Matching taken to the extreme. The brush looks fantastic Jim.

20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Clint!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.