June 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2020.

?

Your plan for June?

1. I'm gonna rock a RULE!

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Basic razors are my plan. Keep it simple, keep it real.

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. Basic aftershaves and shave cream soap. Keep it simple, keep it real.

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. Basic everything! Keep it simple, keep it real.

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  5. I'm just waiting for more cookies. Keep it simple, keep it sweet!

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  6. I'm just waiting for more ice cream. Keep it simple, keep it cold!

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  7. I'm going to shave. With some gear. Just keeping on like I always do.

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Thanks, Patrick--it's certainly been the case thus far :D

jluc, clint64, brit and 2 others like this.
  2. timabababaluka

Soooo nice :D

jluc, brit and Trigger like this.
  3. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

No you don’t, Tim! Tomorrow is a different razor?

jluc, clint64, brit and 3 others like this.
  4. timabababaluka

:happy102:

5. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

I like agressive razors so if I ever get back to daily shaving I stick to 1 or 2 passes to be safe . Today the blade was the star of the show. Mild razor in hand.

Keithmax, jluc, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  6. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

You must be proud of her Clint! Wonderful to see a young person who takes interest in people! Gives me comfort knowing the next generation cares .

Keithmax, jluc, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  7. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Terrific shave Andrew!

Droo78, jluc, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  8. Trigger

Excellent shave Myles! Are you enlisting in the Marines?

myles wilson, jluc, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  9. Trigger

Fantastic shaves and reports Keith! That is great that you were able to use the Valet Auto Strop per Dr. Greene's instruction.

Keithmax, jluc, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  10. Trigger

Awesome shave Tim! The DD knockoff is so cool!

11. timabababaluka

Thank you, Joe--Jason most definitely knows his way around a lathe :D

12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Just the Basics June!

June 14

Razor - Kai Captain (pain stick)
    Blade - [​IMG]
    Soap - Stirling Sheep
    Brush - 30DC Meet UP LE w/ TGN Grade A Silvertip
    Post - Alum

I'm not sure how a pain stick focus turned up inside Just the Basics June, but it appears to have done just that. I just moved right on to the Kai Captain tonight. Very similar in size to the Feather SS, this is another higher end pain stick. Different shape grip but it features a head/blade holder based on the Feather DX and CJB. No safety lip needed nor wanted on this razor. Just stayed with a Feather Pro blade. I've used the Kai AC blades and they are excellent, but I think the Feathers are just a tad better. Maybe half a tad, whatever that is. For the soap and brush combination I decided to name it SHEEP SUNDAY and use the Stirling Sheep for that mutton tallow awesomeness! The 30DC Meet Up LE handle with the Silvertip knot was a true joy to use and I could have done 6 passes before running out of lather. As it was I just did three passes, then a light fourth more for touch up and just to keep playing around. Ended very near BBS and the alum was mostly quiet, except for one small slip near my goatee where I had a shaky set down. Nothing major, just a drop of blood and a sting from the alum. Other than that, a fantastic shave.

The new week dawns. Go get it!

June 14 2020.jpg

Keithmax, Droo78, Primotenore and 8 others like this.
  13. timabababaluka

I love the pain stick focus! :D

The Kai Captain is a nice looking kami, and Stirling's mutton tallow formula is the bees knees--used it today myself.

Keithmax, jluc, Edison Carter and 5 others like this.
  14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Great minds think and act alike. :eatdrink047:

jluc, clint64, brit and 3 others like this.
  15. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Not that it matters a whole lot, but that brush wasn’t a Dubl Duck dupe per se. I made it middle of March with another two tone that is probably closer to a DD (Post #617 of Brushmakers forum, if interested). Didn’t mail it until June 1st due to pandemic restrictions.
    It is definitely inspired by the classic shapes of the past though, no question.

Keithmax, jluc, Edison Carter and 5 others like this.
  16. timabababaluka

:D

17. timabababaluka

All I know is that it's a gorgeous brush, and a phenomenal performer--I want all those years I avoided boar brushes back :D

jluc, Edison Carter, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  18. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

That Omega ‘48 is about as big as they get. If you like it, a ‘49 or ‘98 are also excellent but a touch smaller.

19. Trigger

Thanks for the clarification Jason.

20. Trigger

June 15

Early good morning guys!

Straight Razor Shave #+180
    Joseph Elliott Square Pt Full Hollow
    Barbury Synthetic Brush
    Stirling Piacenza SS and AS

I was not going to shave until Tuesday because I wanted to see what the Mad Max would do with 3 days growth. Anyway, I had mentioned earlier that this razor was in very bad shape. It had a big chip with a few minor ones as well. It was given to me by a friend and I accepted it because I didn't want to appear ungrateful. At the time, I thought this razor would never shave because I wasn't an experienced honer and to get ot professionally repaired would be prohibitive. Anyway, I continued working on this razor to see if I could get it shave ready and lo and behold I did. It took a lot of hours to really get it done. Unfortunately, I dropped the razor and the tip at the spike broke off so I had to mute it because it was really sharp. Anyway, after 2.5 passes I ended with an
    IBSS. Went back and hit the razor with the milder grits, then hit the fabric, then crox, then fabric and finally leather to finish the shave. I ended with an IBSS++ with no irritation, but got weeps during the fool's pass. No biggie. Finished with the aftershave. I can't believe that I got a decent shave with this razor. She may not be pretty, but she still has life in her. Well, that is my first successful restoration project. I am shocked to say the least. I think that I will fine tune her later on to see if I can get her somewhat sharper. I guess this razor will be a member of my den. This would make 15 straight razors in my possession. Now, I have to stay off Ebay because I would look for not ready for prime time straight razor bargains. Lol! Have a great day guys! 20200615_012456.jpg 20200615_012456.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.