The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

BoS (Tsuka) for me the last couple of days after not using it for a little while. What a wonderful scent, to me. And, the aftershave scent seems to last all day. Great stuff IMO.

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

John, I'm going to try that one in the hot summer now...it must have been acceptable at that time, since Doc Ezlovan brought it down to the "30DC Meetup" a couple summers ago(I didn't go to that, but Mr. Cawtuh sent me a small set of the AS&SS. ) OH THAT"S RIGHT, you two were the tag-teamers to get me to try it, weren't you?????

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  3. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Yes, Paul I was one of the "tag teamers".

4. gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy Well-Known Member

Well, last night was my first Sandpiper shave, and it was really nice. I think this scent becomes much more complex once it is lathered. I was hoping to smell the cardamom more than I did, but it is still a really nice cologne scent!

Also, I am pleased to report that Sandpiper gave me minimal irritation. I felt a slight tingling during the shave, but afterwards it seemed that everything was fine. Probably a scent that I could use in rotation, but not likely a daily scent for me.

Oh, and the lather was fantastic, but that has been true of every Stirling soap I've sampled thus far!

5. Paul Turner

6. Paul Turner

Real glad you liked that one! I have it handy to try this summer if there's a stretch of low-humidity days. As you may have read already, I'm "experimenting" this summer with soaps that I use just in the fall&winter. I decided Sandpiper is worth a trial.

7. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I didn't go for the Deton8 or the D-503 aftershaves last Black Friday.

But I did get bath soaps of these that make me wish I had.

I'll get em next time they come up.

Tsuka (Blood on Steel) still rules!
    Should be a good candidate for a Stoylin-Toinah Award in my book.

Every Stirling Fanboy needs Sandpiper!

8. Paul Turner

Mr. Cawtuh, I've been thinking of taking a break for next season(on the Stoylin Tonys).-logical reason is that I need to do what I can to reduce my current Stoylin soaps. That being said, I think I will buy one of the unscented ones as part of my MAJOR PURCHASE later this year.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  9. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

June 18, 2020

Razo Rock Game Changer OC Jaws
    Wizamet SI
    Doug Korn Prototype Two Band
    Stirling Soap Co. Orange Chill Soap and Aftershave
    Terre D' Hermes

[​IMG]

cliffb599, ezlovan, falconhal and 7 others like this.
  10. gcconspiracy

Well, last night was the maiden voyage of my Barbershop sample, and I have to admit that it was a bit of a letdown. Out of all 10 samples it was easily my favorite scent off the puck, but once I lathered it up the scent changed noticeably (and not in a good way). During the shave I kept noticing this overly soapy scent, it smelt like what I imagine having your mouth washed out with soap would smell like - that's the best way I can describe it. Has anyone else experienced this?

The shave was great, and the lather was amazing, I just didn't care for the way that the scent changed. I will definitely try this soap again and see if this was an isolated occurrence.

On another note, I've decided that this weekend will be a Creed dupe weekend! I'll be trying out Executive Man, Mountain Man, and Sharp Dressed Man over the course of the next three days (my weekends are Friday and Saturday, so Thursday night is always my first weekend shave)!

Cheers

11. Paul Turner

What aftershave do you use with Barbershop soap? I found it to blend in real well with Clubman. Ditto, by the way, with my other barbershop soap-Grandpa's Barbershop by Central Texas Soaps.

12. gcconspiracy

I don’t actually use anything for aftershave. My skin can’t handle alcohol splashes, so I just use some witch hazel followed by Cetaphil facial moisturizer. The off putting scent was during the shave. It was very strange, and unlike anything I’ve experienced with a shaving soap before. I’m very hopeful that it was an anomaly, as the smell off the puck is absolutely incredible!

13. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I finally got around to ordering glacial obsidian and glacial wintergreen. I was worried I'd waited too long and missed out forever. I had more or less forgotten until I happened to stow a case of wintergreen Altoids at work. That facefull of strong wintergreen scent instantly reminded me.

I did miss out on a couple of bath soaps I was interested in though. Oh well.

14. Paul Turner

Felt real nice to administer the Glacial Lime A.S. onto my face and neck this morning. AHHHHHHHH.

15. Paul Turner

........................................and again today....YEOWWWZZAMAMA.

16. falconhal

falconhal Active Member

My experience with barbershop was that the smell was quite consistent, a powdery, slightly vanilla smell. The only problem I have w/ barbershop is a minor burning sensation, and only occasionally.

17. gcconspiracy

I’m really hoping that next time I try Barbershop it will be as you say - a powdery vanilla smell. That is the smell I get off the puck, and I can’t stop sniffing the puck! I’ve got a couple of other samples to try, but then I’ll be giving Barbershop another shot... here’s hoping that it was an anomaly!

Thanks for your feedback, it’s very encouraging. I was really looking forward to shaving with Barbershop, and I was very disappointed when it wasn’t a great experience.

18. Paul Turner

Doc Ezlovan flipped in a Barbershop hand soap along with my two bath soaps. I'm actually going to try a first-using a bath soap in the shower as a full body wash. I just hope I can get enough lather onto my loofah.

19. gcconspiracy

This past summer my wife and I went on a mission to smell Creed Aventus. It wasn't something that was available anywhere near us, but I was determined to smell this holy grail scent that so many shaving companies have sought to duplicate. We ended up finding Aventus in a high end department store, and the lady at the counter gave us a card with some Aventus sprayed on it - mission accomplished! Then the lady at the counter said, "if you enjoy Aventus, you have to try these two also!" And proceeded to hand us cards spritzed with Silver Mountain Water and Green Irish Tweed. Needless to say, all of the scents were fantastic, and we celebrated our success in hunting down Creed Aventus...

Well, this summer we have had to cancel our holiday plans, so in honour of last summer's holiday cologne hunt I decided to do a weekend of Creed themed shaves!

Here's the recap:

Two nights ago I shaved with Executive Man (Aventus) for the first time, and my first thought was "there will definitely be a full tub of this in my future!" The scent immediately transported me back to holidays, and the shave was just outstanding...

Last night I shaved with Mountain Man (Silver Mountain Water) for the first time, and again I was stunned. I immediately added a tub of Mountain Man to the Stirling order that was quickly forming in my mind. The scent on this soap is equally amazing and the shave quality was Stirling through and through.

Tonight was Sharp Dressed Man (Green Irish Tweed), and I have to say that I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite out of these three scents - these are easily three of the nicest scents that I've ever shaved with, bar none! Unfortunately I did have a touch of a reaction to Sharp Dressed Man by the third pass, but I could definitely use this soap in rotation.

And thus, my Creed weekend has come to an end. A weekend of good memories and epic shaves. Although I've only been shaving with Stirling soaps for a week and a half now, I can confidently say that Rod has gained another loyal customer.

Cheers.

20. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Awesome report on the need for Creed :D

I liked them all as well, but Executive Man was hands-down my favorite of the three. Great stuff!