ZAMACK LAIRD OF DARKNESS

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by KAV, Jan 28, 2017.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If true, then my setup is good to go. Every piece is zamac.

2. brit

brit in a box

a-4 u.s tech cap with corrosion under plating. this razor was near new in box. i have heard that these early 50s caps were zamak due to brass shortages.. 20200223_151421_edited.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    PLANofMAN and Keithmax like this.
  3. Pattorashu

Pattorashu Member

There are quite a few vintage Gillettes with Zamak.

To put price into perspective for people, that Gillette Tech that sold for $5 in 1930 is around $80 today. So a nice razor costing around $100 is about on par IMO.

However, you won't catch me spending that much, I'm a cheapskate on that one. I'd rather buy a nice soap.

brit likes this.
  4. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Exactly my experience. I've dropped a few razors over the last couple of years. The only one to be damaged (broke) was my zamac 23C. Brass and Stainless steel survived. I typically recommend zamac razors for newbies because of the lower up front cost. If they get hooked on DE shaving I recommend brass or steel for an upgrade.
    I believe Rockwell has stated that explicitly.

John Ruschmeyer and brit like this.
  5. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Well.....
    Seen this subject come and go on most razor nets.
    The problem with good razors are they are expensive.
    I don't own a full SS razor, yet.
    I do have some older razors that are the "Zamac" I'm sure.
    I keep them clean and dry, store them out of the bathroom.
    I am afraid of dropping one but that's the way the cookies crumble.
    Water is the bigest culprit to corrosion and cross metal deterioration.
    So I keep them dry.
    Oh and stainless steel does deteriorate in the right environment.
    If I had a SS razor, I would treat it the same.
    tp

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  6. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

The real wonder is not that zamack fails so infrequently, but rather how people can look at simple data (zamack does not fail as much as they have heard), and refuse to change their opinion.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    efsk and gorgo2 like this.
  7. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

The plating is flaking off the head of my 23C. It's probably 15 years old

8. LaneP

LaneP Well-Known Member

Aesthetically I like stainless steel and brass (and I have one aluminum SE razor-a Hawk V2) but I have no problem with a well designed zamak razor.

My top zamak's are the Muhle R41 and Merkur Progress. I also have Merkur 23C, 34C and "old type" but they don't offer the shave efficiency that works for me.

I feel the cost of zamak razors I have were in line with their "anticipated" lifespan (5-10 years of regular, near daily use?).

Ijustmissedthe50s, Juno and gorgo2 like this.
  9. LaneP

LaneP Well-Known Member

This post prompted me to break out an old friend, the Merkur 37C. I haven't had it out in over a year, if not two. I recently obtained some Gillette Platinum blades and since I've never tried them, threw one in the 37C for this morning's shave.

It was a great combination. The 37C is just as efficient as I remembered and just as smooth. This is a great example of a zamak razor that is worth what I paid for it, and then some. I'm going to continue using this combination into next week.

[​IMG]

Keithmax, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  10. LaneP

LaneP Well-Known Member

Got the itch to break out my Merkur Progress this morning to erase 24 hours worth. A brand new Gillette 7o'clock black, some Williams on boar brush and razor set to 2.5. What a smooth, comfortable and efficient shave.

[​IMG]

Keithmax likes this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Asked my zamak Clix how he's holding up, he said fine. I don't always talk to my razors but when I do, I've been on house arrest too long.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  12. efsk

efsk Active Member

Zamac is produced in a number of qualities, depending on intended use. Zamac is used for gunparts (Glock, amongst others), automotive parts and apparently golfclubs. It is not crappy in itself. I've zamac razors from the 1930s that are perfect, yet there's numerous allbrass razors from the same era with bent teeth available.
    Zamac razors have a bad name because end of the 60s early 70s a lesser quality zamac was used, possibly less well plated as well. These started to rot, same as during the 80s CDs would suffer from discrot. Handle your razor in a normal manner, and it will be ok. Slam it around or over-tighten it and it will cause problems. As will any razor one way or another.

J_Man, gorgo2 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  13. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

I'm convinced that the main cause of the plating breaking off the threads of zamak razors, making men swear off the evil alloy forever, is screwing the handles to the heads crookedly, which is very easy to do. I find it best to attach the handle slowly and carefully until I know I haven't cross-threaded it.

After shaving, I'll remove the blade and wipe the razor's parts dry. And I put a drop of oil on the threads before rotating to another razor. I realize not everyone has the time and patience to do all this, but I'd bet I'll get more than my money's worth out of all my gear.

efsk and gorgo2 like this.
  14. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I still hold with Galvanic Corrosion. Probably more common with Zamac head and Brass handle.

gorgo2 likes this.
  15. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

You know, those two are NOT mutually exclusive.

Carson West and efsk like this.
  16. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I have never had an issue with Zamak razors, although I am sure that there are some rather inferior ones out there, but in my experience both inexpensive and expensive zamak razors have always held up well over time.

I own quite a few and use them regularly. I do tend to take good care of them and even with the occasional drops, bumps, bangs, etc. none have sustained any damage. I give them a thorough cleaning when necessary and do my best to handle them with care...Every single one that I have ever purchased has held up over time without issue.

I do think that zamak gets a bad wrap.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Lancre, Keithmax and Carson West like this.
  17. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Well, yes and no, in my experience. I never like blanket statements (yes I know this is one). Anyone who says "All zamak razors are crap." is oversimplifying. Zamak is great for the manufacturer. You can make an adequate starter razor very cheaply and easily. To be clear, I love my R41 and my V3A, but I don't expect them to last all my life. OTOH, I also really like my vintage brass razors, some of which have already lasted more than a century.

Being rather clumsy, I've dropped a variety of items in the shower. The only one to sustain any damage was a zamak Merkur 23C. The post snapped off from the cap. Undamaged were a brass vintage BET, and a SS Fendrihan MK.II. So I rate brass and SS as better materials than zamak.

Now for a cheap first razor, I usually recommend a Maggard starter with a zamak razor. There's no sense in buying an expensive Karve, or Rockwell before you know if you're going to stay with DE. The zamak razor could last a lifetime. Mine broke in two months.

For people looking to upgrade, I usually recommend SS or brass because of the better durability.

brit likes this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

i have nothing against zamak razors,just not my choice.i think that they are a decently priced for folks trying out de razors.i recommend vintage gillettes for newbies as well.they have stood the test of time and served millions..great to test the waters..

19. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I totally agree with you on both statements...And I highly agree that both brass, and SS razors are far superior to zamak. I have several zamak razors that I am fond of, but the quality doesn't come close to my SS or vintage brass models.

Just like you, I would also advise anyone looking to upgrade to consider a better quality brass or SS model.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk