DE-Vette Pass-a-round thread...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Primotenore, May 23, 2020.

1. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Shave #9 with the DE-Vette is complete.

It was another outstanding shave with the Vette, loaded with the Gillette 7 o’clock black blade. Not quite a true BBS today, but better than a DFS. Maybe a BBS-, or a DFS+. I like that rating!

I’ve probably said all before, but this razor is a stellar performer; a real sports car! This razor has similarities to a straight razor, with the user determining the aggressiveness by adjusting the angle. Keep the angle shallow, use very light pressure and stretch the skin. Focus on these tidbits and you can achieve great results using the DE-Vette. All the beauty, fun and performance you could want in a razor is all there! Tom, I want one, I want one... Now the wee wee dance courtesy of @richgem :scared011:

@twhite , thanks for designing and building this baby, and know that you’re a talented man! @Primotenore , thanks for making this pass-around a reality!

@jmudrick , I’ll have the DE-Vette out to you tomorrow.

B6584480-94EF-4D6B-B88B-3D0A21C11B1A.jpeg

Droo78, GAW9576, steve207 and 6 others like this.
  2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Jeff, USPS shows the Vette racing its way to your mailbox.
    :transport016:

3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Arrived today and wow it is a thing of exquisite beauty.

Not much 5 o'clock shadow after the Fatip slant this morning but I shaved my neck anyway and did alright with it. We'll see if I can manage a full head shave tomorrow.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Shave #2 Again shaving the neck was not so tough, control easy enough. Just one XTG pass seemed good. Since I haven't shaved my cheeks since February I went for the head straight away. A lot tougher mostly from a control point of view. Managed the right side and crown ok though I couldn't get rid of it feeling tuggy. I'm gonna try a sharper blade tomorrow. Left side of my head I threw in the towel as I couldn't get comfortable using my right hand though I do so normally.

I finished up with my H&S-Lupo hybrid. [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I cannot believe you are even attempting a head shave with the razor. Good for you!

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Haha well these days it's almost all I got going. Anxious to see how a sharper blade feels

Droo78, Jim99, GAW9576 and 1 other person like this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

DE-Vette (BIC)/Bevel thing (7 O'clock Green SS).

So a sharper blade this time with the DE-VETTE. Excellent on the neck, but again quite difficult on my head, very tricky navigating the best angle to avoid getting tuggy. I'm almost tempted to shave my cheeks just to see how it does.

Finished with this quite aggressive AliExpress Bevel--like creature. Quite good. [​IMG]

8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I think I'm ready to pass this bad boy on. Good shave this morning, same routine with completion duty given to the Mk1 Spiral Curve. [​IMG]

9. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Very cool shave Jeff. It's been a hectic week but I look forward to trying this razor out.

Jim99, twhite and jmudrick like this.
  10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

@GAW9576 , be prepared for some fun!

Edison Carter, GAW9576 and twhite like this.
  11. GAW9576

The DE-Vette has landed. First shave was wonderful above the beard line on my cheeks. It's very easy to trim around the beard line when you can see the blade. The shave below the beadline was a little harsh but but not to bad. I shaved yesterday and I'm not usually an every day shaver. Trimming below the beadline was very easy but I have problems on my neck each side of the adams apple. The hair is corse, lays nearly flat to the skin and the skin is more sensitive. Great combination. Anyway overall a good shave. I did switch the handle out after the first pass. Both handles look amazing and I love the stand. However the balance of the handles was throwing me off a bit. I ended up trying a fat Tech handle and it seemed more balanced and comfortable to me. I'm sure in a few more shaves I'll be doing better with this razor.
    Initially I was a little concerned about the blade being exposed on the non cutting side but it was a non issue. I will have to be careful around the upper neck behind my ear though.

20200630_132401_HDR~2.jpg

12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Gaw, what brand of blade are you using?

13. GAW9576

Forgot to mention that.
    Bluebird 2nd use. These were a go to blade for me for over 10 years.

Edison Carter, Jim99 and twhite like this.
  14. GAW9576

If today's shave had a title it would be "Proper pairing provides perfectly pleasant performance". The first use Feather blade was very smooth in the DEvette, even on the ATG. And the Wickham lather provided very good slickness. And I LOVE the scent. The Golden 500 was on hand for my wife to clean up the back of my neck and I used it to touch up a few trouble spots.

20200703_101957_HDR~2.jpg

15. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

A feather! I never got to try the Vette with a feather. I’m sure it was a sweet shave. Ahhh!

Edison Carter and GAW9576 like this.
  16. GAW9576

Indeed it was. I did run the edge through a very soft packing penut pre shave. I figured something the feathers can be a tad harsh on a first outing and it ended up being a splendid shave without any real harshness. Not sure if the packing peanut really did anything but it definitely didn't hurt the edge.

Edison Carter and Jim99 like this.
  17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Good job. How is finding the correct angle for you?

Edison Carter, Jim99 and twhite like this.
  18. GAW9576

Not bad in most of the shave. Just keeping the top cap slightly off the skin seems best for me. The tricky part is the transition from neck to shoulder and neck to collarbone area. But that's true with all razors for me. And most of the shave is absolutely no pressure just touching enough to feel the blade tickling the hairs away

19. GAW9576

Today was a Meh shave. Not sure what happened. Just wasn't as smoot as Saturday. The feather blade is a tight fit in the DEvette. Mabey I damaged the edge inadvertently removing it Saturday. It was also my first use of Mitchell's wool fat soap. Like the scent but the lather was lack luster. I think I'll give the razor 1 more chance and if it's not a great shave again I'll send it on its way.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Edison Carter, twhite and Jim99 like this.
  20. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Hmmm.... Not sure what advise to give. It could have been the MWF as that’s the first time you used it.

Edison Carter and GAW9576 like this.