Micromatic Monday

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GAW9576, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday today- took out my first NOS Gem 1912, Still shaves great like the day I bought it.

Razor : Gem 1912 model- Mfg in 1921 during the roaring 1920's when electrical appliances were just starting to be MFG for the citizens of world on a large scale which fueled those boom times.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (4) great blade for sharpness, longevity, cost and smooths out during its life cycle IMO.
    Soap: Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore- excellent scent and great lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24mm with the black marble handle- one of my favorites, reasonable back bone with soft tips.
    Pre shave: Showered, brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser, A dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
    Post : AVON true gent cologne with witch Hazel + AVON true gent balm [​IMG] .
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers =[​IMG]great shave with my first Gem 1912 I bought, no regrets.

MMMonday June 8-2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ijustmissedthe50s, GAW9576 and Droo78 like this.
  2. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

I don't often disagree with @Flintstone65 on razors. But I actually prefer the Gold Pushbutton to the Pushbutton Contour. Not sure why.

Tonight's shave was very enjoyable. I loaded a 5th use Gem SS PTFE and lathered up the Mer Shavings Barbershop with a synthetic brush. Everything lined up for a very close very comfortable shave.

IMG_20200608_223346641.jpg

3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, June 11th,2020

Razor: Gem Junior bar lather catcher- Mfg 1907-11ish .Just a great razor with a modern Gem coated blade, fantastic shave today for going back in time with the turn of the century technology.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (5) Great blade.
    Soap: Razorock Don Marco - I enjoy the citrus scent & great lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Timberwolf whiskers 24mm synthetic, another great brush to use.
    Pre shave: shower, brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aoe Vera gel on beard.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pick ups.
    Post shave: Italian barber Amici aftershave with Witch hazel + a very small dollop of Nivea Balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG]just a great shave with my Gem Jr bar.

SE SOTD, Thur June 11th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  4. GAW9576

Well I tried having a very UK shave Friday. I got out my Made in England ER 1912 and my British Made Pal Injectomatic. Then I whipped up a fantastic lather with some UK based Wickham 1912 Irish Fern. This is my first use of Wickham and man this stuff smells great and lathers wonderfully. I loaded a 6th use Gem SS PTFE and started the shave with the ER. This is my second time using this razor. I took a few strokes and looked closely at the razor. I had heard the English/British ERs are more aggressive but this one is mild but I LOVE the handle. Anyway I looked closer and saw that the blade wasn't seated right. Readjust take a stroke look close. Not seated tight. Ok what gives well the blade is shifting all over. Grab my US made ER 1912 try things out, works perfect. Hmmmm. As far as I can tell the blade stops are bent up slightly making to much room for the blade to slip to far under them and making enough room for it to not get properly engage by the back clip. So do I adjust the blade stops? Or do I find a way to adjust the back clip push the blade forward further with would make it a more aggressive razor?
    Anyways I finished up the rest of the shave with a pound in the US made ER. Results are a fantastic shave.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Ron R likes this.
  5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday, June 15th 2020

Razor: Gem Push button - MFG 1958-65 one of my favorite looking Gem razors, black and gold is eye appealing.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (6) Excellent blade,very sharp,good longevity, Smooths out nicely over it's life cycle.
    Soap: Tabac- good soap with light flowery scent with good lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24 mm synthetic- Excellent brush and had no problem lathering my Tabac triple milled soap.
    Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + any pick ups.
    Post shave: Pinaud Clubman with witch Hazel + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] Excellent shave with my GEM push button razor.

MMMonday June 15th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ijustmissedthe50s and GAW9576 like this.
  6. GAW9576

I had a great shave today with my Gem Jr. Parade and a straight razor. The straight got most of the first pass and the Gem got the rest of the shave with a 7th flip Gem SS PTFE loaded. The Sterling Executive man lathered very well on my Custom SHD two band badger.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Ijustmissedthe50s and Ron R like this.
  7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MicroMaticMonday, June 22nd 2020- Good morning to all.

Razor: Gem Clog Pruf (Peerless) variant-Mfg 1945-46, Very nice razor to use,mid range & I like to use it later in Gem blade life cycle.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (7) Great blade to use, very sharp, good longevity, good cost & smooths out during blade life cycle.
    Soap: Italian barber Amici- nice soap scent(I like this milder scent, grapefruit and Citrus) with good lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24 mm synthetic(Sagrada Familia) does all the things a excellent brush should do IMO.
    Pre-shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Post shave: Italian barber Amici aftershave [​IMG] with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG]Excellent shave with my Gem Clog Pruf(Peerless model)
    MMMonday, June 22nd 2020 (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Terry, Droo78, GAW9576 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD - Wed, June 24th 2020- A very inexpensive shave today!

Razor: Gem Junior 1912 baton handle [​IMG] Parade- Mfg 1943, Excellent razor, mid range & no blade overhang.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (8) Very sharp, excellent longevity, good cost, smooths out nicely over blade life cycle!
    Soap: ARKO- legendary shavers soap and very controversial Scent, great lather qualities IMO.[​IMG]
    brush: Razorock Noir 400 Plissoft synthetic- great brush, does everything I want and a little more.
    Pre shave: Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 (WTG,ATG) + pickups.
    Post shave: Pinaud Clubman with witch Hazel + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers =[​IMG]Just a great shave with my Gem Jr 1912 with baton handle.

SE SOTD - June 24th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Paul Turner, Droo78 and GAW9576 like this.
  9. GAW9576

Better late posting than never. This is yesterday mornings shave. I used a Chick injector blade in the MMOC for the first time yesterday. I had asked around about OC injectors recently and found very few options. Then a member across the street posted about using an injector blade in a Micromatic. I had forgotten about wanting to try the injector bladea in a Micromatic. So after following the advice to check and recheck the alignment I was off to shaving. What a fantastic shave. Very smooth and BBS nearly everywhere. I used the @Jayaruh method of face lathering by wetting my face and rubbing the Arko puck directly on to the skin. Worked perfectly. A little Thayers spash finished off a near perfect shave.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Terry, Droo78, Ron R and 2 others like this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, June 29th 2020, took out my interesting looking ASR Family member the Everready 1912 for another shave, I like the handle on it with the pronounce hexagon edges creates a different feel of a grip and hard to MFG IMO.

Razor: Everready 1912 -Mfg in Great Britain from 1936-53- excellent mid range razor. This model feels nice in my hand.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (9) great blade in a lot of ways,sharpness, longevity, cost, and very predictable IMO.
    Soap: Colonel Conk Bayrum - I always get good results from this great soap, mild bayrum scent, excellent lather!
    Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot synthetic 24mm- very enjoyable brush with good brush characteristics to make & apply lather.
    Pre shave : Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Post shave: Razorock Emperor [​IMG] with witch Hazel + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers =[​IMG]Best shave with my recent acquired Everready 1912 British variant.

MMMonday,June 29th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Droo78, GAW9576 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I always thought using a regular injector blade was used because you either ran out of Gem blades or had none and just bought bought a nice Gem Micromatic razor and just itching to use the Micromatic while waiting for your Gem blades to arrive.

GAW9576 likes this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Perhaps you were misinformed

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    Terry, Ron R, Droo78 and 2 others like this.
  13. GAW9576

14. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

20200629_101910_copy_800x600 (1).jpg
    Gem OCMM, of course.

Terry, Ron R, GAW9576 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Good morning Jeff, with a P-30 you would have to trim the one end of the blade to avoid overhang of the blade?

GAW9576 likes this.
  16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Snip snip , yes

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

GAW9576 and Ron R like this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Good to know, Thanks.

GAW9576 and jmudrick like this.
  18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Wed, July 1st 2020

Razor: Gem Micromatic open comb, Bumpless variant-Mfg 1930-32 excellent mid> range razor.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (10) excellent blade, very sharp, longevity, cost effective, very predictable blade IMO.
    Soap: Barrister & Mann Seville- great scent and good lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi timberwolf whiskers 24mm synthetic- very good brush to bowl lather and excellent brush qualities,soft tips
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pick ups.
    Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch Hazel + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] excellent shave with my Gem MMOC bumpless razor.

SOTD Wed July1st 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 and Terry like this.
  19. GAW9576

This would probably actually fit better than an injector blade since you can trim it to a better length. When I tried the injector blade it was just barely long enough to hit the blade stops on both sides. I don't think a ProLine B20 would work because of the curved corners. But a trimmed p30 should fit perfect. I have some KAI AC blades I should try once I get around to opening the pack.

jmudrick likes this.
  20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Sat, July4th 2020, Kind of different shaving day for myself, Got to use my first 3D printed razor(Amazing tolerences they can achieve). It holds a Gem blade one of favorites and it is of a design most have never seen a Gem razor blade in. It is one of Tom White creations that is of good design and he seems to have hit my sweet spot for the right amount of aggression and efficiency(Mid range razor). I usually test a new razor with a two pass shave with no pick ups to see how it handled the stubble(WTG+ATG no pickups) and then do my feel test followed by finishing the shave. Indicating a Mid range for sure and a light razor for those who enjoy them like myself.
    I remember Gem Mfg was doing trial runs with proto type adjustable"s 025_zps53313514 (2).jpg to compete with all of the other MFG's and the TNNSER could of been a winner for them because you could just change the cap with a thicker one to become a mild razor that Gem Mfg did to its model ranges.(just thinking possibilities). Some call it TNNSER because Tom did not but a name on it. Anyways just a nice razor I will enjoy it for years, another Great creation Tom White has designed with other razors you have been tinkering & designing with.(Like the Enders style handle with a good feel in the hand also!)

Razor: TNNSER 3D printed model- MFG 2018 Aluminum proto type + 2019> 3D printed type.Nice mid range IMO.
    Blade:Gem Personna SS PTFE (1) Excellent blade, Sharp, good longevity, smooths out the more you use , predictable.
    Brush: Yaqi Timberwolf 24 mm synthetic - great brush properties making and applying shave soap lather IMO.
    Soap: Razorock Lavender- one of my RR favorites with excellent lather properties and Scent.
    Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + afterwards pickups.
    Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch Hazel+ a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + 1 weeper =[​IMG]excellent close shave with Tom's No Name Single Edge Razor (TNNSER).[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Ijustmissedthe50s and GAW9576 like this.