Ethos Lavender Shave Soap Review

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by dmshaver, Jul 9, 2020.

1. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

I am not affiliated with, nor have I received any free or discounted product from the vendor.

I've waited a while to review this soap because I wanted to get many shaves with it. I've now had at least 30 shaves with Ethos Lavender shave soap & feel I have the soap dialed in.

A few observations before I get to the review. The packaging is first class, from the mailers to the labels to the jar & lid. I really like the jar, it's large enough to easily load from. Next, the quantity, 7 ounces! Not 4 ounces like most shave soaps, almost double that amount, 7 wonderful ounces of this nectar in each jar.

Scent: This is a clean, mild lavender scent, not overbearing. Pure is what I think of as I smell it. There aren't perfumes or powders coming into my nose, just a clean natural lavender scent. Extremely nice in my opinion.

Lather: Be ready to make some lather! As you make the lather add drops of water & watch it explode into a monster. This is very easy to lather & easy to dial in. Whether you like yogurt consistency or a thinner, slicker consistency, this soap can deliver. The lavender scent continues with the clean fresh scent as it goes on the face. A wonderfully relaxing sensory experience.

This soap provides great glide & slickness. My stubble gives no resistance to my razor as it glides over my face. I use short strokes & go over each area I shave multiple times in quick succession. Residual slickness is very important to me using this method. Ethos has great residual slickness & I'm able to do these multiple strokes with no dragging even though the lather had been removed with a previous stroke.

My 30 second loading provides enough lather for 3 passes & plenty left over. After my third pass, I like to re-lather my face & let the amazing skin food properties of the soap nourish my skin a while longer while I clean my gear. After rinsing, an application of Thayers, followed by an AS splash, & I'm feeling like a million bucks. The post shave feel of this soap is as amazing as the other areas I've already detailed. My face feels moisturized, not oily. It feels healthy & cared for, not just clean-shaven.

I've used Ethos Lavender with a variety of brushes (badger, boar, & synthetic), & with a variety of razors (aggressive & mild). I have not found a combination where this soap was not exemplary in every area. This is my new #1 soap.

I wish Ethos Grooming Essentials many years of success. I'm hooked, he's got me as a life-long customer.
    IMG_2979.jpg

2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Excellent review and we all learn from the forums folks who have used different products and experiences!
    I noticed lately you have been using this soap a lot, I was thinking it must be good because you are particular with your shave gear. I personally believe there is something about Lavender soap & aftershaves period. I have not used that Ethos lavender brand but I have used the Razorock Lavender brand and at first I was not overly impressed but that changed over time because I noticed my post shave was better than almost all my other soaps and shave results seemed excellent. It was the first tub of soap I completed before any of the other soaps. The Lavender scent is a manly scent IMO for a wild flower or weed that has been domesticated in the last 60 -200+ years or more. There is something about Lavender that is positive for myself and many others. I believe that another good brand of Lavender that is Mikes natural shaving soap Lavender that I have not tried yet. Lavender when done right would be every ones favorite over time IMO( I'm a Lavender fan as you know by this post).
    Thanks for sharing David!

3. dmshaver

Very well written Ron, you made some excellent points. I appreciate how you say lavender is a manly scent. When the scent is formulated correctly, I believe lavender is a scent that wears well on men. It is not a perfumy smell that your grandmother would wear! That's what some companies sell as lavender. What Ethos has is a pure, fresh, clean lavender scent that doesn't have an undercurrent of chemicals mixing with other chemicals to produce an artificial scent.

You are correct in your statement about my gear. I am particular with my shave gear. I have spent more than a few dollars over the years buying razors, soaps, & more of everything else. I purchased more than I could ever have used. But on my journey I've learned what I like & what it means to me to have a quality shave experience. As I've dialed in my likes, I'm not using nearly the amount of gear that I used to. I prefer quality over quantity. Ethos is a soap that I will keep in my den. It is currently my #1 soap.

Last comment, you mentioned post-shave, my post-shave with Ethos is off the charts. My face is moisturized & hydrated, not oily or waxy.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Ron R like this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    How does one acquire a tub of this soap?

5. dmshaver

I contacted the soapmaker direct. He will have the website up within a couple of weeks. I'll let you know when it's online.

Admins: May I share the link openly in this thread, or should I PM the info? I want to be in compliance with all TOU's of this fine forum, that's why I'm asking beforehand. I prefer getting permission rather than finding out after the fact I broke the rules.

6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Your scent description reminds me of the Block Island artisan hand soaps I pick up at the supermarket..Lavender is my favorite of the choices, and there's nothing fancy to it...just clean and fresh.

dmshaver likes this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Please PM me his contact info. Thank you.

dmshaver likes this.
  8. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

Thanks, David!

dmshaver likes this.